PIT looking for LHH 1B

NorthSideSox72

MLBTR mentions PIT is still looking for a LHH 1B.

I doubt they'd take Dunn without a ton of money (like, all of it), but... they do like cheaper, younger talent... maybe ship them Conor Gillaspie and Andy Wilkins, both for basically the league minimum in salary, hoping one of them pans out. Would solve some problems for the Sox and likely get them a prospect in return, albeit not an elite one.

Gillaspie hit RHP last year kinda OK (.738 OPS) for a rookie, and he adds flexibility to also play 3B. Wilkins has hit 17+ HR in each full season through the minors, draws some walks, plays solid 1B defense, and is 25. Also had a strong winter ball run, and hits RHP better than LHP usually (so add some values to his career numbers if you platoon him). I'd think those two would give PIT what they need somehow, possibly even a long term solution if Wilkins develops as the 5th round talent he is. That should net back some sort of prospect in their T20, and they do have a deep system.

This also allows Davidson to take over at 3B, removes some of the INF crowding. The only downside, really, is if you trade Wilkins, he is the only guy who seems to have even a small shot move to 1B/DH in 2014 internally. Barnum is years away, Black probably won't be able to get it done enough at that position in the majors. Wilkins is far from a guarantee as well, but he has a shot maybe if he rakes in AAA in 2014.

Maybe they'd take just Gillaspie for a lower level prospect, and call it a deal, and the Sox keep Wilkins. But that would be a patch-job for PIT, and they'd probably prefer to have some sort of long term option available, even if it is a gamble.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
MLBTR mentions PIT is still looking for a LHH 1B.

I doubt they'd take Dunn without a ton of money (like, all of it), but... they do like cheaper, younger talent... maybe ship them Conor Gillaspie and Andy Wilkins, both for basically the league minimum in salary, hoping one of them pans out. Would solve some problems for the Sox and likely get them a prospect in return, albeit not an elite one.

Gillaspie hit RHP last year kinda OK (.738 OPS) for a rookie, and he adds flexibility to also play 3B. Wilkins has hit 17+ HR in each full season through the minors, draws some walks, plays solid 1B defense, and is 25. Also had a strong winter ball run, and hits RHP better than LHP usually (so add some values to his career numbers if you platoon him). I'd think those two would give PIT what they need somehow, possibly even a long term solution if Wilkins develops as the 5th round talent he is. That should net back some sort of prospect in their T20, and they do have a deep system.

This also allows Davidson to take over at 3B, removes some of the INF crowding. The only downside, really, is if you trade Wilkins, he is the only guy who seems to have even a small shot move to 1B/DH in 2014 internally. Barnum is years away, Black probably won't be able to get it done enough at that position in the majors. Wilkins is far from a guarantee as well, but he has a shot maybe if he rakes in AAA in 2014.

Maybe they'd take just Gillaspie for a lower level prospect, and call it a deal, and the Sox keep Wilkins. But that would be a patch-job for PIT, and they'd probably prefer to have some sort of long term option available, even if it is a gamble.

Thoughts?

Not really sure Wilkins is all that appealing in a trade for other teams, maybe as a throw in.

I want Davidson starting but I want him to have to earn it, Gillaspie provides that. If PIT was desperate enough to give us something useful then I would have no problem trading them for a spect.

I'd 100% do that for either of them, and it actually kind of makes sense since they have Gaby Sanchez, a righty who put up a .987 OPS against lefty pitching last season there already.

I'd be content with sending them both of them, including Andy Wilklins. I have absolutely zero problems with the Sox having no obvious internal 1b/DH candidates right now, as I 100% expect that situation to change by next offseason. Viciedo is an obvious candidate to move there with Eaton moving to LF if both hit well enough for the positions. But even if they don't change those spots, the White Sox next offseason are going to have a major need for a left-handed hitting, middle-of-the-order bat, and as of right now there's no reason to expect that to be Andy Wilkins. Wilkins's value would be in being a LH-hitting 1b, particularly as a rookie I can't imagine his production being good enough to hold down a quality everyday DH slot if the team is looking to compete in 2015.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm not sure Gillaspie is much better than Ishikawa or Lambo. I wouldn't give up anything of value for Gillaspie if I'm the Pirates.

I don't know why they wouldn't just try Lambo in the first place. He was a pretty damn good power hitter the past couple years in the minors.

I don't think the Pirates will give up a high level prospect, but they have a lot of talent depth in the minors and would probably be willing to give up something in the 11-20 range, probably lower end of that scale. I mean, Gillaspie provides what I mentioned, and Wilkins is probably a 20's to 30's guy in that system, and it fills a need much more cheaply than they'd pay on the open market.

The profile I'd think the Sox would target is a C or SP, somewhere a few years in (therefore within a year or two of the majors) likely but not necessarily, somewhere in the teen's or low 20's in the org's rankings. Not sure who that may be.