Opening Day Starter

harfman77

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
I read this thinking it meant starting pitcher. I was ready to jump in on the whole fight and everything.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
cant imagine that's up for debate.

Yeah, I don't understand this either, it's obviously going to be Axelrod.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yall can keep deluding yourselves but there's no way in hell we don't trot out Paulie as our starting 1B (or DH at the minimum) one last time ESPECIALLY since Opening Day is at home.

Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly doesn't know who Jerry Reinsdorf is.

My other question to that crowd is - why does it matter? "I hope so".... why? Personally I want Paulie to have his Rivera and Jeter season. Of course he won't, but given that we're not competing anyway who cares if he starts the first game of the season?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
lol yall can keep deluding yourselves but there's no way in hell we don't trot out Paulie as our starting 1B (or DH at the minimum) one last time ESPECIALLY since Opening Day is at home.

My other question to that crowd is - why does it matter? "I hope so".... why? Personally I want Paulie to have his Rivera and Jeter season. Of course he won't, but given that we're not competing anyway who cares if he starts the first game of the season?

I agree. Sox fans are such a fickle bunch sometimes. Enjoy the moments folks.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)

Um we are competing. It's opening day. We aren't out it.

Put the best lineup out there possible until we are out of it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
How about Abreu at DH and Paulie at 1B?

I think that's smart. Avoid the unified chorus of boos day 1; can't have a sold out park with everybody over the age of 8 booing in unison and setting the tone for the year. Our FO is really smart and sometimes I'm amazed at some of our instances of forethought.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)

Who IS Jerry Reinsdorf? He's a car salesman, right?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
I think that's smart. Avoid the unified chorus of boos day 1; can't have a sold out park with everybody over the age of 8 booing in unison and setting the tone for the year. Our FO is really smart and sometimes I'm amazed at some of our instances of forethought.

If the White Sox are afraid to play Dunn because he will get booed, Marty and TUC are right, they should just release him. He is going to be booed on opening day whether he plays or not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
If the White Sox are afraid to play Dunn because he will get booed, Marty and TUC are right, they should just release him. He is going to be booed on opening day whether he plays or not.

Why is he getting booed on opening day? Sometimes Sox "fans" just make no sense. The guy has been working and working to get back to where he was, and without seeing what he is going to be able to do, Sox fans are going to start berating him before he takes a cut? I understand when it is June and he is hitting .205, but when he is starting off the season, why not support the guy? Hopefully he has a huge first half and the Sox can get something of value for him.

The best lineup/getting Paulie into the mix/showing off the new expensive toy (Abreu) might be:

1B: Paulie (last opening day start on field)

DH: Abreu

LF: Dunn

I'd personally just start Paulie over Dunn though but after that, strict platoon.

Edited by chisoxfan310

I'm sorry, I couldn't care less that it's Pauly's last opening day, he shouldn't be starting against a righty. And yes it matters, there's always a chance this team ends up competing(yes it's a long shot but not impossible) and I want the best lineup out there until we're done.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
I'm sorry, I couldn't care less that it's Pauly's last opening day, he shouldn't be starting against a righty. And yes it matters, there's always a chance this team ends up competing(yes it's a long shot but not impossible) and I want the best lineup out there until we're done.

This 100%. Every game matters and stupid little decisions add up and by the end of the season they can be the difference between making the playoffs. I don't care if our chances of competing are slim, you do everything you can to maximize production from day 1 and that means playing Dunn against RHP as often as possible.