2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Treat the symptom, forget the cause.

It seems to me the percentage of pitchers who throw hard is significantly higher than it was 20-30 years ago. It wasn't that long ago where if you threw 90, it was considered you were a hard thrower. Also there has been a lot of talk of the seams being smaller making it more of an effort to achieve the movement pitchers want and need. Hawk had a suggestion several years ago. Raise the mound, raise the seams on the baseballs. It definitely would take some pressure off shoulders and elbows.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
It seems to me the percentage of pitchers who throw hard is significantly higher than it was 20-30 years ago. It wasn't that long ago where if you threw 90, it was considered you were a hard thrower. Also there has been a lot of talk of the seams being smaller making it more of an effort to achieve the movement pitchers want and need. Hawk had a suggestion several years ago. Raise the mound, raise the seams on the baseballs. It definitely would take some pressure off shoulders and elbows.

I agree. Physically the average pitcher is just bigger and stronger. But I also think that pitchers today try to throw harder. They don't need to pace themselves for 9 innings. They know a quality start is 6 innings. So they can throw harder and over exert themselves thus cause more injuries.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
I agree. Physically the average pitcher is just bigger and stronger. But I also think that pitchers today try to throw harder. They don't need to pace themselves for 9 innings. They know a quality start is 6 innings. So they can throw harder and over exert themselves thus cause more injuries.

I think one of the reasons for the over effort is the speed guns at the ballparks and on TV. Years ago, they didn't exist and only a few didn't know if you were throwing 91 or 87. Now everyone does. It's out there for everyone to see. Unless you are known as a soft tosser, I think it makes you maximize the effort.

Just read the gamethread. Danks was throwing 87-89, and there were a lot of comments saying he had nothing. If he had the same results and the gun was showing 91-92, he would have probably been called unlucky and posters who now think he has nothing would have been encouraged. 20 years ago, without the gun, the results were really all that mattered.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
I think one of the reasons for the over effort is the speed guns at the ballparks and on TV. Years ago, they didn't exist and only a few didn't know if you were throwing 91 or 87. Now everyone does. It's out there for everyone to see. Unless you are known as a soft tosser, I think it makes you maximize the effort.

Just read the gamethread. Danks was throwing 87-89, and there were a lot of comments saying he had nothing. If he had the same results and the gun was showing 91-92, he would have probably been called unlucky and posters who now think he has nothing would have been encouraged. 20 years ago, without the gun, the results were really all that mattered.

Probably part of it as well. The whole climate and atmosphere in the sport (all sports really) has definitely changed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Billy Beane picks up a $10 million a year closer, which seems to fly against all he believes in, (as much as I think you should not be afraid to pay relievers, $10 million for Jim Johnson doesn't scream value to me at any angle) and said closer loses his closing role after 5 appearances.

He'll eventually go back to being a closer again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Billy Beane picks up a $10 million a year closer, which seems to fly against all he believes in, (as much as I think you should not be afraid to pay relievers, $10 million for Jim Johnson doesn't scream value to me at any angle) and said closer loses his closing role after 5 appearances.

FanGraphs said they liked the move, even though it was too much for a closer and went against Beane's philosophy basically stating "well he has the money to spend, so he spent it on a closer." I really don't agree with that ideology.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
I'm sure the Red Sox are keeping their mouth shut because their pitchers do the same and don't want to be scrutinized either.

Most teams are hush hush on that because every team does it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
FanGraphs said they liked the move, even though it was too much for a closer and went against Beane's philosophy basically stating "well he has the money to spend, so he spent it on a closer." I really don't agree with that ideology.

All the outlets have their pet teams/executives. They'll bend over backwards to justify their moves or pimp their farm systems

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)
Sergio Santos has 4 saves

The funny thing is that he was super-expendable with Reed coming behind him.

But now, we could really use one more veteran down there, especially with Belisario looking so shaky.

Right now, I'd go with Cleto or Webb in the 8th inning of a tie game. That's pretty scary.

Am listening to the Pods-Tigers game.

The announcer Dick Enberg is 79 years old and sharp as hell. Crazy how the human body/brain works. Some people can be devastated by Alzheimer's, etc., and others like Dick Enberg ... 79 years old and sharp as a tack. Just listen to the Pods some night. He is amazing. He was describing a controversial out call at second base and immediately proclaimed, 'this won't take long to overturn' his eyes correctly assessing the play.

How the hell can he be this sharp at 79?

It's probably sports. Sports keep those involved in sports very young.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)

The announcer Dick Enberg is 79 years old and sharp as hell. Crazy how the human body/brain works. Some people can be devastated by Alzheimer's, etc., and others like Dick Enberg ... 79 years old and sharp as a tack. Just listen to the Pods some night. He is amazing. He was describing a controversial out call at second base and immediately proclaimed, 'this won't take long to overturn' his eyes correctly assessing the play.

That's one theory, but then you have Hawk.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)

While what I've heard of Enberg's Padres work is fine, I can tell you he definitely has lost a lot off of his fastball over the years. His last year doing Wimbledon and the US Open were a bit embarrassing.

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Apr 13, 2014 -> 09:49 PM)
While what I've heard of Enberg's Padres work is fine, I can tell you he definitely has lost a lot off of his fastball over the years. His last year doing Wimbledon and the US Open were a bit embarrassing.

Maybe, but at the age of 79 ... wow.

He was in control of the Pads' broadcast. He had his color man's full attention. His eyesight and ability to pick up the ball and the play was awesome.

I just kept thinking about some people barely able to move at 79 and Enberg calling baseball games. He actually seemed like he was looking forward to coming back to the park early Sunday for a day game after a night game. Crazy. I want whatever he's done to be this sharp at the age of 79.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)
Maybe, but at the age of 79 ... wow.

He was in control of the Pads' broadcast. He had his color man's full attention. His eyesight and ability to pick up the ball and the play was awesome.

I just kept thinking about some people barely able to move at 79 and Enberg calling baseball games. He actually seemed like he was looking forward to coming back to the park early Sunday for a day game after a night game. Crazy. I want whatever he's done to be this sharp at the age of 79.

Remember that he's not the only guy doing this. Uecker and Scully are both in the 80s, though they've reduced their travel schedules.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1h

gyorko $35M extension starts next year. he makes 500K this year. so it's $35.5M for next 7 for him. #padres

MLB ‏@MLB 1h

The @Padres and 2B @JGyorko05 agree to 6-year, $35 million deal with $13 million option for 2020, reports @FollowThePadres.