2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)
What's not debatable is the fact that Matt Wieters has no business being the starting catcher for the AL in the All-Star game.

Derek Norris and Brian McCann are the two top guys right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
FOX Sports: MLB ‏@MLBONFOX 8m

JUST IN: the @Orioles announce C Matt Wieters is scheduled to have Tommy John surgery tomorrow. Recovery time expected to be 9 months.

Tyler Flowers is available

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
FOX Sports: MLB ‏@MLBONFOX 8m

JUST IN: the @Orioles announce C Matt Wieters is scheduled to have Tommy John surgery tomorrow. Recovery time expected to be 9 months.

The TJ pandemic spreads to position players now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)
So it appears low is not a zone to pitch to trout. Waiting to figure out what zone is acceptable.

IBB is acceptable.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
Saw on Twitter, the rangers writer for espn passed away today , had two small children, he even tweeted today. Sad how you never know when your time can come

Richard Durrett 38 years old very young to die so suddenly.

So every night I listen to Fangraphs Audio podcasts, and Fringe Average when they finally get around to doing one. Well last night I ran out of new ones to listen to, so I dug to the bottom of the barrel and listened to Buster Olney's ESPN Baseball Tonight podcast. He had a conversation with Karl Ravich and some other guy to discuss which pitcher they would rather have, David Price or Jeff Samardzija. After far too long of a debate on what I figured would be an easy answer, they all picked Samardzija.....

The only real reason any of them could come up with, was because "Price has more innings on that arm. Samardzija has more bullets left".

While Jeff has only thrown 650 ML innings to Price's 1080, if you add in all the extra years Jeff spent in the minor leagues, Jeff comes out to 1135 IP to David's 1230 IP. A difference of less than 100 innings. Which if we really wanted to nitpick, Jeff is 8 months olders. He turns 30 before next season, Price turns 30 at the end of next season.

Anyway, I just thought it was a stupid argument to ignore all the great seasons David Price has turned in, and choose the obviously inferior Samardzija simply because of the idea that he has pitched slightly less professional innings.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
So every night I listen to Fangraphs Audio podcasts, and Fringe Average when they finally get around to doing one. Well last night I ran out of new ones to listen to, so I dug to the bottom of the barrel and listened to Buster Olney's ESPN Baseball Tonight podcast. He had a conversation with Karl Ravich and some other guy to discuss which pitcher they would rather have, David Price or Jeff Samardzija. After far too long of a debate on what I figured would be an easy answer, they all picked Samardzija.....

The only real reason any of them could come up with, was because "Price has more innings on that arm. Samardzija has more bullets left".

While Jeff has only thrown 650 ML innings to Price's 1080, if you add in all the extra years Jeff spent in the minor leagues, Jeff comes out to 1135 IP to David's 1230 IP. A difference of less than 100 innings. Which if we really wanted to nitpick, Jeff is 8 months olders. He turns 30 before next season, Price turns 30 at the end of next season.

Anyway, I just thought it was a stupid argument to ignore all the great seasons David Price has turned in, and choose the obviously inferior Samardzija simply because of the idea that he has pitched slightly less professional innings.

Seems the media will always do anything to shine a bright light on anything related to he cubs. One guy has made his success pitching in pennant races in the AL East and in the World Series the other guy made his name pitching for one of the worst teams in baseball with zero pressure.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
It's not the worst argument I've ever heard, but that's assuming they have different contractual obligations. If I can sign either David Price or Jeff Samardzija for 3 years, there's no question it's going to be Price.

They were discussing it as if you are starting a franchise today, which guy would you choose.

If I was a GM looking to acquire one or the other, I may pick Samardzija as well because he SHOULD come cheaper, and resign for cheaper. But David Price is a bonafide ace. Samardzija is a #3 guy pitching like a #2 this season.

Oh, forget to mention another "plus" to Samardzija's side was his "football mentality"........ :huh: