2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another reason for the Cubs not to assume smooth sailing with all their prospects...

What would have been the odds a month ago that prized rookie Xander Bogaerts could walk onto Yawkey Way within a half hour after a game was over and not be mobbed by autograph seekers?

But there was Bogaerts, accompanied by a friend, looking like just another college kid with a back pack, blending into the crowd and walking down the street unbothered. That comes with the territory, apparently, when you’re batting just .107 (11-for-103) since June 4.

Before he left the park, Bogaerts was a postgame visitor in Farrell’s office, but contrary to what you might think, there was no demotion in the offing. Farrell made that clear before the game.

“The one thing we have to do is be consistent with him, and he feels and senses the positive view of him,” Farrell said. “This is a long-term player for us and we’re not going to abandon someone because there are some growing pains along the way.”

Bogaerts had a couple of hits in Sunday’s 7-6 loss, the Monster taking a home run away from him and converting it into a single, but he was 0-for-3 Monday.

www.bostonglobe.com/sports (Edes)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
Yet another reason for the Cubs not to assume smooth sailing with all their prospects...

What would have been the odds a month ago that prized rookie Xander Bogaerts could walk onto Yawkey Way within a half hour after a game was over and not be mobbed by autograph seekers?

But there was Bogaerts, accompanied by a friend, looking like just another college kid with a back pack, blending into the crowd and walking down the street unbothered. That comes with the territory, apparently, when you’re batting just .107 (11-for-103) since June 4.

Before he left the park, Bogaerts was a postgame visitor in Farrell’s office, but contrary to what you might think, there was no demotion in the offing. Farrell made that clear before the game.

“The one thing we have to do is be consistent with him, and he feels and senses the positive view of him,” Farrell said. “This is a long-term player for us and we’re not going to abandon someone because there are some growing pains along the way.”

Bogaerts had a couple of hits in Sunday’s 7-6 loss, the Monster taking a home run away from him and converting it into a single, but he was 0-for-3 Monday.

www.bostonglobe.com/sports (Edes)

I am far from a proponent of their plan, but Theo and Jed have made it very clear that they do not expect every prospect to pan out. Just yesterday Jed said on the Score that they are hoping that 50 percent of the bigtime prospects pan out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
David Holmberg making his 2nd career start tomorrow vs Cubs. Getting the call from the Reds for a doubleheader 26th man.

He's awful...terrible numbers in AAA this year, and he got destroyed by the Cubs tonight.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
David Holmberg making his 2nd career start tomorrow vs Cubs. Getting the call from the Reds for a doubleheader 26th man.
He pitched poorly - 2.2 IP 7 H 5 ER 3 BB 1 SO 3 HR

Despite Davidson's struggles, Hahn sold high on Reed. Reed is horrible now. Fastball in the 90-92 mph range, and he's still hanging that slider an awful lot. Blew another save tonight, and he made an insane amount of bad pitches in the inning.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
Despite Davidson's struggles, Hahn sold high on Reed. Reed is horrible now. Fastball in the 90-92 mph range, and he's still hanging that slider an awful lot. Blew another save tonight, and he made an insane amount of bad pitches in the inning.

His velocity dipped last year too. He came up throwing around 95 and was always around 92-93 last year.

He's probably hurt or very close to getting hurt. His throwing motion isn't exactly good for his elbow.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
His velocity dipped last year too. He came up throwing around 95 and was always around 92-93 last year.

He's probably hurt or very close to getting hurt. His throwing motion isn't exactly good for his elbow.

When will the Diamondbacks learn that the Sox only trade them injured pitchers? Hopefully never.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
When will the Diamondbacks learn that the Sox only trade them injured pitchers? Hopefully never.

everytime the Dbacks replace their FO, Hahn and KW tap their fingers together Mr Burns-style and say "excellent"

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
AJ Pierzynski DFA.

Let it begin...

And for good reason. There is absolutely zero reason we shouldn't at least make an offer to him. I think he'll find his way to a contender as a back-up, but still, no reason not to at least reach out to him. It isn't like Flowers is some guy of the future. I'd rather have AJ around working with Nieto then Flowers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
And for good reason. There is absolutely zero reason we shouldn't at least make an offer to him. I think he'll find his way to a contender as a back-up, but still, no reason not to at least reach out to him. It isn't like Flowers is some guy of the future. I'd rather have AJ around working with Nieto then Flowers.

id take him any day over flowers, but everyone hates him right? so doubt they bring him back and cut flowers

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)

I can think of at least 5 reasons.

1. He's old

2. He's suddenly not that good at baseball

3. There is zero chance he is with the team next year, so what's the point?

4. He probably wants nothing do with a bad rebuilding club and I imagine his presence in the clubhouse hurting the ball club

5. He's gonna expect to play every day so there goes any increase in Nieto's playing time

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
I can think of at least 5 reasons.

1. He's old

2. He's suddenly not that good at baseball

3. There is zero chance he is with the team next year, so what's the point?

4. He probably wants nothing do with a bad rebuilding club and I imagine his presence in the clubhouse hurting the ball club

5. He's gonna expect to play every day so there goes any increase in Nieto's playing time

Flowers basically went 0 for Mid May-Current date and they didnt increase Nietos time. I really dont think they plan on rushing him this season to full time, as much as we want him to be

AJ has never been known as the type of player that has an interest in putting his replacement under his wing. He wants to play and get paid as long as possible.

Maybe he changes because he sees the end soon; but, I doubt it.