2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
back injuries are a b****

I didn't know he had a back injury, but you are spot on with your assessment. I hurt my back several years ago and had a doctor tell me whatever I did, don't let anyone cut my back unless it was the last remaining option. Too many things can go wrong. So if it's a major issue, you are pretty much screwed either way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I didn't know he had a back injury, but you are spot on with your assessment. I hurt my back several years ago and had a doctor tell me whatever I did, don't let anyone cut my back unless it was the last remaining option. Too many things can go wrong. So if it's a major issue, you are pretty much screwed either way.

He already had an epidural this season. That is usually only a temporary solution to a back issue.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)

There's one more thing we can agree on.

Tiger Woods, Crede and Youkilis are good examples.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)

A very smart and atypical physician. They need to cut into too many structures not to cause at least some long term issues.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Umm...why didn't they just sign him when he was a free agent for half the season?

Well, the Twins saved about $4 million that would have been wasted on the next two months and got someone who could be a future closer if everything breaks right for Pryor...although those lat surgeries are a new procedure, I guess this is the second one after Peavy's for a major league pitcher.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
Well, the Twins saved about $4 million that would have been wasted on the next two months and got someone who could be a future closer if everything breaks right for Pryor...although those lat surgeries are a new procedure, I guess this is the second one after Peavy's for a major league pitcher.

I believe he was referring to Seattle signing Morales.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Kendrys Morales: .234/.259/.325 - .584

Corey Hart: .214/.295/.332 - .627

Logan Morrison: .209/.265/.346 - .611

Justin Smoak: .208/.279/.352 - .630

The only logical conclusion we can come up with from this analysis is that Kendry Morales is powered by fresh sushi.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
I believe he was referring to Seattle signing Morales.

Well, that's easy. They envisioned that they had (cheaper and perhaps long-term) replacements in Morrison and Hart.

Obviously, not so much. And it seems pretty clear that Morales didn't want to sign for just one year and keep repeating the QO process...which he ended up doing anyway, except he ended up losing $7 million or so and simultaneously having spring training in the middle of the season instead of Feb/March.

In hindsight, they should have tried harder to hold onto Michael Morse instead of trading him to the Orioles last year...or trying harder to re-sign him.

Edited by caulfield12

I wouldn't even bother looking at Johnson. Putz was release (and has yet to sign with a team, which means he's likely considering retirement), it was with the idea that his peripherals would translate. It was also a month ago, so the Sox had more of a chance then (sort of). Sergio Santos still had youth on his side, so you could possibly keep him around for a few years. There is no upside to Jim Johnson though.