2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tmar @ May 31, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Is there any team that's a bigger crybaby than the Red Sox? I can't imagine that could be possible

completely agree. cant stand david ortiz. and it makes me angry that he was linked to steroids and completely got a free pass just becuase its david ortiz and people love him

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ May 31, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
completely agree. cant stand david ortiz. and it makes me angry that he was linked to steroids and completely got a free pass just becuase its david ortiz and people love him

He talks about respect and having 500 career home runs and people just totally disregard him being linked to PEDs. Just look at his numbers before arriving in Boston. But he smiles a lot so he's cool.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 31, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
He talks about respect and having 500 career home runs and people just totally disregard him being linked to PEDs. Just look at his numbers before arriving in Boston. But he smiles a lot so he's cool.

I never got the David Ortiz love from media never have been a fan of his from way back in Minn days.

I think the best way for Davey Ballgame to go away is for someone to get him to say something that irks enough people. When you consider that he likes talking just to hear himself talk, and that he's pretty stupid, it's hard to believe that this hasn't happened yet. David Price has the right idea.

At least the other HR-hitting Clown from their '04 team did funny things like cutting off throws at inopportune times, or high-fiving fans before doubling up the runner at first.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
I think the best way for Davey Ballgame to go away is for someone to get him to say something that irks enough people. When you consider that he likes talking just to hear himself talk, and that he's pretty stupid, it's hard to believe that this hasn't happened yet. David Price has the right idea.

At least the other HR-hitting Clown from their '04 team did funny things like cutting off throws at inopportune times, or high-fiving fans before doubling up the runner at first.

i think it was awesome how price said people actually called him and gained respect from him because of what he did (hitting ortiz) he said how you cant be above the game of baseball. so it shows a lot players dont care for ortiz either.

this article :

Joe Tacopina told @ESPN_Colin he did not want to name other players accused of PED use, "but some of them are God-like in Boston right now."

People like David Ortiz and Andy Pettitte. People hate A-Rod and Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. I totally understand why and don’t begrudge those differences of opinion at all. But let’s not pretend that Tacopina said something shocking yesterday.

Buehrle shutting the Royals out thru five on Sunday. The guy is the best! Should still be in a Sox jersey. One of the few pitchers earning every dollar with innings/effectiveness.

Mark, BTW, has NEVER been on the DL. If he wants, when he decides to retire he will continue to make tons of money (compared to the average Joe) as a pitching coach. If he was still with the Sox there'd be no question he'd be one of the top five players in Sox history.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 8m

astros 1b prospect jon singleton agrees to $10M 5-year contract with 3 club options. could be worth $35M. @JeffPassan 1st

That's a lot of money for weed.

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the Astros have signed top first base prospect Jonathan Singleton to a five-year contract with three club options.

The historic deal -- a first for a player with zero major league service time -- carries $10 million in guaranteed money and can be worth up to $35 million if all the options and incentives are triggered. Singleton, 22, will be promoted from Triple-A Oklahoma City before Tuesday's game against the Angels to take over as Houston's regular first baseman. He was sporting a .941 OPS, 14 home runs, and 43 RBI in 54 games this season at Triple-A and should be owned in all mixed fantasy leagues. The contract costs Singleton quite a bit of earning power and is a big win for the Astros' front office even if the kid doesn't completely meet the hype.

Per Rotoworld

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
A's Article

I could read about the way the A's go about their business all day everyday. I found it interesting that their draft philosophy completely goes against the philosophy of the White Sox. According to them, they don't care about tools and don't chase potential stars.

Unless they're higher contact/pitch count elevating guys with good walk rates/plate discipline.

They don't chase after toolsy, athletic guys like Trout or Buxton if their K rates are too high....thinking the majority of those guys bust, and it's better to take elevated floor/lower risk players.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
A's Article

I could read about the way the A's go about their business all day everyday. I found it interesting that their draft philosophy completely goes against the philosophy of the White Sox. According to them, they don't care about tools and don't chase potential stars.

And they don't win World Series Championships either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
Unless they're higher contact/pitch count elevating guys with good walk rates/plate discipline.

They don't chase after toolsy, athletic guys like Trout or Buxton if their K rates are too high....thinking the majority of those guys bust, and it's better to take elevated floor/lower risk players.

So they wouldn't have taken Jared Mitchell or Courney Hawkins, but may have considered Keenyn Walker due to his walk rate.

How the AL looks different after 54 compared to last year:

Bold teams played more than 162 games.

2013 Wins-- 2014 Wins

Tex 34 - Oak 32

Bos 32 - Tor 32

NY 31 - Det 31

Oak 31 - LAA 30

Bal 30 - NY 29

TB 30 - Tex 28

Det 30 - Bal 27

Cle 29 - Chi 27

LAA 25 - KC 26

Min 25 - Sea 26

Chi 24 - Min 26

KC 23 - Bos 25

Sea 23 - Cle 24

Tor 23 - TB 23

Hou 17 - Hou 22

Rays and Rangers tied for the 2nd wildcard at 91-71 last year. Look for that number to be 4 or 5 games lower this year.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
How the AL looks different after 54 compared to last year:

Bold teams played more than 162 games.

2013 Wins-- 2014 Wins

Tex 34 - Oak 32

Bos 32 - Tor 32

NY 31 - Det 31

Oak 31 - LAA 30

Bal 30 - NY 29

TB 30 - Tex 28

Det 30 - Bal 27

Cle 29 - Chi 27

LAA 25 - KC 26

Min 25 - Sea 26

Chi 24 - Min 26

KC 23 - Bos 25

Sea 23 - Cle 24

Tor 23 - TB 23

Hou 17 - Hou 22

Rays and Rangers tied for the 2nd wildcard at 91-71 last year. Look for that number to be 4 or 5 games lower this year.

I don't see how you can make that judgment with this.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the Astros have signed top first base prospect Jonathan Singleton to a five-year contract with three club options.

The historic deal -- a first for a player with zero major league service time -- carries $10 million in guaranteed money and can be worth up to $35 million if all the options and incentives are triggered. Singleton, 22, will be promoted from Triple-A Oklahoma City before Tuesday's game against the Angels to take over as Houston's regular first baseman. He was sporting a .941 OPS, 14 home runs, and 43 RBI in 54 games this season at Triple-A and should be owned in all mixed fantasy leagues. The contract costs Singleton quite a bit of earning power and is a big win for the Astros' front office even if the kid doesn't completely meet the hype.

Per Rotoworld

I can't how many people are criticizing Singleton. Does the system suck? Yes, but complain about that, not a kid guaranteeing himself some major future finanical stability. Did he potentially cost himself millions? Of course. But if something goes wrong and he doesn't amount to much of a player, he still earned $10 million. I can't blame him for that. And he still has a chance for a major FA payday around 30 years old if he's a stud.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
I don't see how you can make that judgment with this.

The 30+ wins through 54 were 7 last year, and 4 this year. And since game 54, the Yankees and Angels are both 0-3.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/type/wild-card/group/5

The #1 wildcard is on pace for 85 wins. The #2 wildcard is on pace for 84 wins.

Every team is flawed.

Pitching injuries are all over the place.

The Astros aren't as bad as they were last year, so that may not help the Angels as much if the A's run away with it.

I'll be shocked if the #2 Wildcard has more than 87 wins.