2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
He could have easily slid during or after that catch to avoid going in to the stands. Not saying he did it on purpose to be flashy, but saying he played it wrong and stupidly, yet it's constantly being shown as one of the greatest SS plays of all time.

And if he slid he would have crashed into the wall maybe breaking a leg or ankle or screwing up a knee.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 12:47 AM)
ESPN

I got a HUGE b**** about ESPN this morning. I was watching the top 10 plays

and the play that the 3b of the Pirates came in 8. there is no freaking way that

should came in 8th. It should have been the top 2 with the hole in 1 golf shot

being #1.

Surprised we didn't get a Rusney Castillo update.

He had 40 plate appearances with the Red Sox. He hit .333/.400/.528 with a .409 wOBA, a 163 wRC+, 2 homers, 3 stolen bases, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts, and all in all totaled 0.8 fWAR.

If he had hypothetically kept that pace up over 600 plate appearances, it would have been worth 12 WAR.

He might be good.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
I got a HUGE b**** about ESPN this morning. I was watching the top 10 plays

and the play that the 3b of the Pirates came in 8. there is no freaking way that

should came in 8th. It should have been the top 2 with the hole in 1 golf shot

being #1.

The entire process is shrouded in secrecy. The anchors are always openly questioning the order and stuff. It's a little silly

Should we have a postseason thread on the White Sox?

De Aza of the Orioles

Dunn of the A's

Beckham of the Angels. WOW. They all get a shot to be heroes after their respective flops in Chicago. Think about it. Adam Dunn can become immortal in Oakland with a monster postseason. It starts in KC tomorrow where he could connect a few times off Shields.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 7m

Source: #Rays’ Dave Martinez out of running for #Astros’ job. HOU search appears to be narrowing. Three other jobs open.

For how highly thought of Dave Martinez has become as the Rays bench coach, he sure hasn't been able to find an opportunity. Maybe it's premature to say, but it seems like teams aren't willing to hand the keys over to him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
For how highly thought of Dave Martinez has become as the Rays bench coach, he sure hasn't been able to find an opportunity. Maybe it's premature to say, but it seems like teams aren't willing to hand the keys over to him.

I'm hoping for a Dave Martinez actually. He strikes me as one of those guys that just needs a shot somewhere.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
And if he slid he would have crashed into the wall maybe breaking a leg or ankle or screwing up a knee.

Yes, as opposed to diving face first into some seats? You can slide without breaking a leg, I believe.

The reason the catch is "good" and is shown so much is because of the absolutely pointless dive afterwards. Because again, TOUGHNESS.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
Yes, as opposed to diving face first into some seats? You can slide without breaking a leg, I believe.

The reason the catch is "good" and is shown so much is because of the absolutely pointless dive afterwards. Because again, TOUGHNESS.

Sliding near the fence didn't work out so well for Bill Mueller. I've never heard of a player getting significantly hurt going into the stands...I certainly can think of a few recent players having injuries on the slide near the stands and getting knees messed up.