2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

Sign that I've spent too much time looking at advanced baseball statistics:

There is a headline on espn.com that reads, "Silver, James to talk sleeves at season's end"

My first thought was, "WTF could Nate Silver and Bill James possibly have to say about the impact of sleeves on baseball jerseys?"

Turns out the story is about LeBron James and NBA commissioner Adam Silver.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 1h

Correction: Four of the Rays' top 10 prospects have been suspended for drugs.

Almost sounds like a "culture". Makes me wonder if their big leaguers are just going about it more intelligently. Though the game wants it all to just go away, we REALLY need to learn more about what Tony Bosch was trying to tell us regarding the ease with which the testing can be beaten.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
Almost sounds like a "culture". Makes me wonder if their big leaguers are just going about it more intelligently. Though the game wants it all to just go away, we REALLY need to learn more about what Tony Bosch was trying to tell us regarding the ease with which the testing can be beaten.

To be fair...the MLB was supposed to have fundamentally changed their testing procedures at the start of last year including long-term monitoring and blood testing/HGH testing. By my count, on the previous testing regime about 25% of the Biogenesis guys actually tested positive (including Braun, Melky). If that is the case, then the old version caught some...and hopefully the new version is a lot tighter.

Starlin Marte extends with Pittsburgh for 6/31M

@Jim_Duquette: Source confirmed that the Marte deal is for 31 million - over 6 years.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Marte deal with #Pirates likely would cover one pre-arb year, three arb years, two FA years. Will be for $31M, per @Jim_Duquette.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 09:31 PM)
Scratched from start, back inflammation. Once the back starts acting weird, it becomes worrisome.

Still, "inflammation" after a start in the middle of ST on the other side of the world, might not be the most stunning thing. If it's really just inflamed muscles that's not big time scary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
Still, "inflammation" after a start in the middle of ST on the other side of the world, might not be the most stunning thing. If it's really just inflamed muscles that's not big time scary.

Middle of ST? Their season started, everyone else's starts in 5 days.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 41m

More bad news for #DBacks: MRI shows that RP David Hernandez has torn UCL, according to his agent, Jason Hoffman. Will get second opinion.

If second MRI confirms torn UCL, Hernandez will require Tommy John, costing #DBacks valued reliever. Was up to 95 mph in most recent outing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 41m

More bad news for #DBacks: MRI shows that RP David Hernandez has torn UCL, according to his agent, Jason Hoffman. Will get second opinion.

If second MRI confirms torn UCL, Hernandez will require Tommy John, costing #DBacks valued reliever. Was up to 95 mph in most recent outing.

The Tommy John is contagious this year

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseba...on-ticket-sales

Reds owner blames media for lower ticket sales....maybe our marketing dept. should try this one?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseba...ith-knee-injury

Surprise, surprise, Carlos Quentin to begin the season on the DL with knee injury

Edited by caulfield12

In MLB, there's no such thing as "runaway" spending...Paul Sullivan (tribune.com)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-pr...,0,517316.story

http://www.bringmethenews.com/2014/03/17/twins-ticket-sales/

Despite hosting the All-Star game, Twins might have fewer tickets sold this year than in their final Metrodome season in 2009.

Edited by caulfield12

I may have misread but did someone here say that when you get MLB.TV you can get Extra Innings as well at no further charge? I have Comcast and that would be cool

I think it's the other way around. If you buy Extra Innings, you get MLB.tv free.