2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

They just reviewed a neighborhood play in the Cubs game and overturned the original ruling.

The guys on MLB Network are going crazy saying you can't review the neighborhood play (and it turns out that it is not reviewable).

Edited by chw42

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
Buehrle 10 K's in 8 innings. No runs.

First 10 K performance since he struck out 12 Mariners on 4-16-05 in 1 hr. 39 min.

Pretty pathetic display by the Rays offense again tonight.

8 of the 9 runs scored by the Jays this year have come off the HR. 4 HRs in total.

You knew Buehrle was only going to get better and better. He's one of those guys who will be a crafty lefty into his 40s (if he wants to keep going). That arm has been magical. Here's to that golden left arm remaining strong. He's a marvel.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
You knew Buehrle was only going to get better and better. He's one of those guys who will be a crafty lefty into his 40s (if he wants to keep going). That arm has been magical. Here's to that golden left arm remaining strong. He's a marvel.

As long as you don't count last season, sure.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)

Sandy Koufax?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 45m

Diminished velocity could be the root of CC Sabathia's struggles: Last night he failed to exceed 91 mph on any pitch and his fastball avg 89

Entering 2014, Sabathia has moved from an ace to a wild card. With his loss of weight and velocity, no one knows exactly what he is, but Sabathia thinks he has the plan. The change is all about the change.

Sabathia, 33, thinks he can overcome his fastball dropping from the mid-90s to the high 80s by going to his changeup early and often. The idea was originally hatched late last season by since-fired advanced scout Charlie Wonsowicz to not ignore the changeup.

In his final start, Sabathia limited the San Francisco Giants to one run on seven hits over seven innings.

On Tuesday night, Sabathia takes the hill for the first time in 2014, against the Houston Astros. We will begin to learn if Sabathia’s worst season was the beginning of a career free-fall scarier than the Tower of Terror or a speed bump in his otherwise terrific major league run.

After setting up hitters with his fastball-change combo, his slider will be reserved for mostly a finishing pitch. He also plans to mix in some cutters he borrowed from Andy Pettitte.

This is how Sabathia has chosen to attack his move from a power guy to more of a finesse pitcher. While it is hard to be as dominant when you switch from the fast lane, you can still be effective.

www.espn.com/andrewmarchand

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 45m

Diminished velocity could be the root of CC Sabathia's struggles: Last night he failed to exceed 91 mph on any pitch and his fastball avg 89

Entering 2014, Sabathia has moved from an ace to a wild card. With his loss of weight and velocity, no one knows exactly what he is, but Sabathia thinks he has the plan. The change is all about the change.

Sabathia, 33, thinks he can overcome his fastball dropping from the mid-90s to the high 80s by going to his changeup early and often. The idea was originally hatched late last season by since-fired advanced scout Charlie Wonsowicz to not ignore the changeup.

In his final start, Sabathia limited the San Francisco Giants to one run on seven hits over seven innings.

On Tuesday night, Sabathia takes the hill for the first time in 2014, against the Houston Astros. We will begin to learn if Sabathia’s worst season was the beginning of a career free-fall scarier than the Tower of Terror or a speed bump in his otherwise terrific major league run.

After setting up hitters with his fastball-change combo, his slider will be reserved for mostly a finishing pitch. He also plans to mix in some cutters he borrowed from Andy Pettitte.

This is how Sabathia has chosen to attack his move from a power guy to more of a finesse pitcher. While it is hard to be as dominant when you switch from the fast lane, you can still be effective.

www.espn.com/andrewmarchand

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)

Except that Buehrle isn't getting better and better. He's a dependable arm in the rotation, but he's a #3-4 starter anymore.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
Koufax was 30 years old when he had to retire due to arm problems.

That is what confused me, saying his name after someone said that Buehrle could pitch well into his 40s if he wanted to made no sense

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
I'm fairly sure Mark just loves pitching to the Rays.

he's either pitching like he did yesterday or getting shelled against the Rays. No in-between. More times than not he pitches very well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
How dare you badmouth Mark Buehrle with facts and numbers!

I think he's Jamie Moyer-esque. He's going to pitch a long long time unless he wants to retire and spend time with his beloved dog and his beloved family.

I think he's Jamie Moyer-esque. He's going to pitch a long long time unless he wants to retire and spend time with his beloved dog and his beloved family.

Except that Mark's father-in-law isn't nearly as awesome as Jamie's.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 12:16 AM)

He hinted at retiring when he was 32, and he's mentioned several times that he doesn't really intend to play forever. He's a phenomenal pitcher, but I don't see him playing long beyond this current contract, if at all. He's made more than $100 million in his career, so he's set financially.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
I wasn't surprised to hear that David Ortiz would be the one to take a selfie with the President when the Sawks did their White House visit. I also wasn't surprised to hear later on that the purpose of said selfie was product placement/marketing for Samsung.

Big Steroid shares many traits with the once-loved Sosa. God willing, he'll be equally exposed at the final curtain.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Big Steroid shares many traits with the once-loved Sosa. God willing, he'll be equally exposed at the final curtain.

Drives me nuts how Ortiz's steroid use has been nearly completely swept under the rug and nobody seems to care. He failed a test the same way and time that Sosa did and Sosa is viewed as a villain. (And I am in no way defending Sosa)

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Drives me nuts how Ortiz's steroid use has been nearly completely swept under the rug and nobody seems to care. He failed a test the same way and time that Sosa did and Sosa is viewed as a villain. (And I am in no way defending Sosa)

I will remain vigilant. It won't be easy to withstand the relentless narrative of the Boston media wanting so badly for everyone to forgive, and especially forget.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 06:54 AM)
Except that Mark's father-in-law isn't nearly as awesome as Jamie's.

He is not awesome. This coming from a Marquette grad of course. I was once mentioned by him in an article after a game. He said "that [jerk] who hit me with a seat cushion from the student section after the game should have been ejected." It was a great frisbee toss from 40 feet away.