Batting 2nd

Reddy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
Well in his defense, it would have gone in the catch all.

Since we're gloating I am even amazed with myself at how much better and more active this board has been since my crusade killed off the catch all. I was right. Some threads are open too long still but all in all it has been good.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
I wouldn't be too upset with Garcia in the 2 hole, but I'd rather see him hit 3rd where he can be a bit more of a run producer. If Beckham can pull it together, he is a perfect fit for the 2 hole.

Two hole gets tons more run producing opportunities than people think. It's arguably more important than the 3 hole in terms of raw ABs with runners in scoring position.

The problem is, of course, that we need OBP at the top, and Avi is a hacker. I really really really hope he learns to recognize balls and strikes, because those little pop ups aren;t going to keep falling for singles forever.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)
Two hole gets tons more run producing opportunities than people think. It's arguably more important than the 3 hole in terms of raw ABs with runners in scoring position.

The problem is, of course, that we need OBP at the top, and Avi is a hacker. I really really really hope he learns to recognize balls and strikes, because those little pop ups aren;t going to keep falling for singles forever.

I'd like to see the overall numbers on that, just to see which is which. The 2 hole is one of the most important spots in the lineup, and I know you wouldn't disagree with that, but you also want to see a guy who can draw a walk there. I think Garcia hitting there might be the best of a bad situation, but he would ideally hit about 6th.

I really hope Semien can be at least a .260/.340/.410 kind of player at the big league level because that would slot in really well at the 2 hole.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
The 2 hole is one of the most important spots in the lineup

Only because it receives more at-bats on the season than the 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 spots in the lineup.

Beyond that, I am of the mind that almost every at-bat is in a vacuum. Yes, Hawk Harrelson got into a lot of Sox fans' minds with the Tadahito Iguchi swoonfest in 2005, but the only reason the 2 spot is more important than any behind it is simply because there's more at-bats to be had.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
Only because it receives more at-bats on the season than the 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 spots in the lineup.

Beyond that, I am of the mind that almost every at-bat is in a vacuum. Yes, Hawk Harrelson got into a lot of Sox fans' minds with the Tadahito Iguchi swoonfest in 2005, but the only reason the 2 spot is more important than any behind it is simply because there's more at-bats to be had.

That's part of it, but it's also a spot that meshes together the sparkplug at the top of the order that you want to get on base pretty much at all costs and the big hitters of the middle of the lineup who you want to drive in the runs. So, ideally, you want a guy that does a bit of both, and Garcia is definitely capable of that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
That's part of it, but it's also a spot that meshes together the sparkplug at the top of the order that you want to get on base pretty much at all costs and the big hitters of the middle of the lineup who you want to drive in the runs. So, ideally, you want a guy that does a bit of both, and Garcia is definitely capable of that.

Ha. You sound so Hawk in this post. I love it.

I tell hyuh what, Stone Pony. That there Adam Eaton is one hellofa spark plug at the top of the order.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
Ha. You sound so Hawk in this post. I love it.

I tell hyuh what, Stone Pony. That there Adam Eaton is one hellofa spark plug at the top of the order.

Except Hawk likes to talk about getting the runner over, and f*** that. Hitting behind the runner and bunting and all that BS. Just get on base.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 12:22 AM)
I normally wouldn't start a thread for this but I can't find the thread in which I said Avi would be our #2 hitter and I was shouted down by the masses.

Just posting to gloat really.

Avisail to get look as No. 2 hitter

Reader beware. Bored sports writers churn out more garbage than fact especially during the pre spring games. Padilla at ESPN wrote that probable opening day lineup will be Alexei at the 2 and Garcia at the 3. Next week someone will have Beckham at the 2 and Dunn working out with a catchers mitt.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
I'd like to see the overall numbers on that, just to see which is which. The 2 hole is one of the most important spots in the lineup, and I know you wouldn't disagree with that, but you also want to see a guy who can draw a walk there. I think Garcia hitting there might be the best of a bad situation, but he would ideally hit about 6th.

I really hope Semien can be at least a .260/.340/.410 kind of player at the big league level because that would slot in really well at the 2 hole.

It's in The Book if you have that lying around.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
If Garcia bats 2nd, it's not because he should be batting second, it's because there's absolutely nobody else in the lineup that is even remotely qualified for that spot.

In the long run, Garcia needs to be batting 3rd and Abreu 4th.

Not necessarily. Many people believe that a team's best hitter should hit 2nd in a lineup. It's not surprising to me that a team with Rick Hahn as its GM would adopt this line of thinking though.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
Since we're gloating I am even amazed with myself at how much better and more active this board has been since my crusade killed off the catch all. I was right. Some threads are open too long still but all in all it has been good.

You mean in that Ervin Santana has taken over every thread instead of just one