Chicago White Sox Top 20 Prospects for 2014

beautox

link

A very good list. Even with the graduation of our top 4 this year our system after the international signing period, draft and midseason trades could be looking like a fringe top 10 system. If Hawkins, Barnum and Sanchez can reestablish themselves and Danish and Anderson make big pushes forward watch out.

I disagree the grades on Anderson, Beck and Webb. Webb will contribute this year and could be a future closer. Beck could be in the rotation as soon as next year barring injuries and a bad year. And Anderson is too talented in my opinion to not have major success in the majors.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 2, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
I disagree the grades on Anderson, Beck and Webb. Webb will contribute this year and could be a future closer. Beck could be in the rotation as soon as next year barring injuries and a bad year. And Anderson is too talented in my opinion to not have major success in the majors.

Guys headed to ML bullpens aren't going to get high grades.

I think he's right re Beck and his low K rate. Ks are good predictor imo (both ways) and if he can't K minor league hitters, it's hard to see how he'll be successful against ML hitters.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
Guys headed to ML bullpens aren't going to get high grades.

I think he's right re Beck and his low K rate. Ks are good predictor imo (both ways) and if he can't K minor league hitters, it's hard to see how he'll be successful against ML hitters.

Chris Beck has started one year and his K rate improved in his 4 starts at AA. If his stuff was returning, that's when we'd see it.

It's best to figure it out by the end of the year how he's going to turn out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Chris Beck has started one year and his K rate improved in his 4 starts at AA. If his stuff was returning, that's when we'd see it.

It's best to figure it out by the end of the year how he's going to turn out.

There are a lot of reasons to believe that Beck is going to be much better this year. We saw his clear progress over last year, and it sounds like there was still more changes made to adjust his body back to being a pitcher and not a weightlifter.

Sickels' schtick is that he "uses the numbers" to scout. Accordingly, his lists almost always deviate the most from consensus and it appears that everyone in the media takes him less seriously.

There's usually some controversial guy he's trying to blow up. His biggest flop in recent memory was Nestor Molina right before we acquired him. I think last year he had Carlos Sanchez in the top 100 or something.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
I am shocked to see this list is from Sickels. I thought it was pretty bad. You have guys like Hawkins, Sanchez and Beck who just got killed because of their seasons last year. I wonder how many other prospect lists have the guy with the most potential in the system at #11. Then you have Surkamp way higher than he should be. Perhaps Sickels love his minor league numbers? Don't like the list much at all.

He penalizes Hawkins and Sanchez for being placed extremely aggressive and doesn't pay much attention to their tools. I would argue that Sanchez has a much better chance of making an impact in Chicago than Micah Johnson, for example. Micah Johnson at age 23 looked very over matched at A+ and AA. Carlos Sanchez dominated those leagues at age 20, but struggled (understandably) at 21 in AAA. And that's not even factoring in huge defensive advantage Sanchez has over Johnson. Sanchez can play two or three positions (2B, SS, 3B) passably while Johnson has yet to find a position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

Per @baseballpro, #WhiteSox are 18th in majors in under-25 talent and have 21st farm system. Seen as system on rise though patience req.

I think thats a number that we could easily improve upon if a few players play the way they should.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
He penalizes Hawkins and Sanchez for being placed extremely aggressive and doesn't pay much attention to their tools. I would argue that Sanchez has a much better chance of making an impact in Chicago than Micah Johnson, for example. Micah Johnson at age 23 looked very over matched at A+ and AA. Carlos Sanchez dominated those leagues at age 20, but struggled (understandably) at 21 in AAA. And that's not even factoring in huge defensive advantage Sanchez has over Johnson. Sanchez can play two or three positions (2B, SS, 3B) passably while Johnson has yet to find a position.

I can see where he is coming from though, one someone goes to a level and fails, it can be tough for them to ever figure it out. The aggressive assignments ruin a players confidence and sometimes they can never figure things out after that. I would doubt that is the case for Sanchez given is DL performance, but the Sox may have broken Hawkins beyond repair.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
That is the lowest I've seen Hawkins ranked all off-season. God I hope he comes back and hits with a vengeance this year.

Are there any reports on Hawkins this Spring?