Teams have interest in Viciedo/De Aza

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Levine, Bernie Pleskoff, and Jon Heyman have all mentioned Mariners interest in Viciedo now. Levine said this morning that Zduriencik was in camp watching Viciedo. What would the Sox even be interested in from them?

Tyler Pike, Luiz Gohara and Julio Morban may all be interesting to us to varying degrees.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
The Mariners system is so top heavy I can't imagine being excited about receiving prospects from them because we wouldn't be getting Walker/Hultzen/Paxton/Peterson/Pike. Past that it gets ugly for the most part.

When the Sox and M's talked Franklin-Viciedo does anyone remember who turned it down? If that trade was revisited and completed, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the Sox could break camp with Franklin-Alexei-Beckham at 3B-SS-2B and eventually move Alexei or Beckham. Franklin and Semien take over in the middle and Davidson gets 3B. That being said I have a really hard time figuring whether I like Franklin or not.

Franklin is gonna be awesome

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Franklin is gonna be awesome

If they like Franklin better than Seager, maybe they trade Kyle to move Nick to 3B. (And he can trade positions with Cano a few years down the road) With Miller too, they're loaded with lefty/SH IFs.

Reading some of the rumor reports and what might be Mariner expendables is not very exciting. You trade to improve your team and not just to move someone IMO. Viciedo and/or De Aza are certainly on the block, but they have somewhat of a decent track record so trading one of them for some failed Mariner's prospect makes no sense at all

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Reading some of the rumor reports and what might be Mariner expendables is not very exciting. You trade to improve your team and not just to move someone IMO. Viciedo and/or De Aza are certainly on the block, but they have somewhat of a decent track record so trading one of them for some failed Mariner's prospect makes no sense at all

I agree. Viciedo can still be part of the rebuilding process. He's young enough and has enormous potential. Twins are mentioned to be interested in De Aza. From them, I would target Trevor May.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)

There could be one caveat in here we're not thinking about.

If they're considering moving Viciedo for one of the Mariners' expendibles...that would mean they've reached a point of severe unhappiness with Viciedo, either with something building during last season or something that they're really unhappy with about how he came to camp.

Otherwise, the only reason to move him would be the M's overpaying by giving up one of the guys people are saying they won't give up.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)

If they were just looking to dump one or both, someone would have been gone already.Power is at a premium in today's game. Giving up on Viciedo without getting anything of significance back would be something the Sox aren't going to do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
Except this was reported months before Bruce said it.

Point is, Levine is bored. He's been out there for a month and he has nothing left to talk about. So instead of reporting a deal that is legitimate and close to happening, he's leaning on old news and conversations that every team has. Teams are always talking about players. It doesn't mean they're going to happen. That's where Levine sucks--he talks about things that never come true. So could this Viciedo thing happen? Sure, but it would just be Levine hitting his 1 in 100 things he talks about.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
If they were just looking to dump one or both, someone would have been gone already.Power is at a premium in today's game. Giving up on Viciedo without getting anything of significance back would be something the Sox aren't going to do.

If the Sox were going to the M's it would be different. If the M's are the ones asking around, the Sox aren't dumping him for nothing. If they were willing to do so, he would have been gone months ago. It is going to be a haul, or Viciedo will be on the South Side this year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Point is, Levine is bored. He's been out there for a month and he has nothing left to talk about. So instead of reporting a deal that is legitimate and close to happening, he's leaning on old news and conversations that every team has. Teams are always talking about players. It doesn't mean they're going to happen. That's where Levine sucks--he talks about things that never come true. So could this Viciedo thing happen? Sure, but it would just be Levine hitting his 1 in 100 things he talks about.

Honestly, I doubt any reporter is much better than that, because of how few deals which are talked about, actually happen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)

This, I hope. Seager or Franklin or no deal.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
The Mariners system is so top heavy I can't imagine being excited about receiving prospects from them because we wouldn't be getting Walker/Hultzen/Paxton/Peterson/Pike. Past that it gets ugly for the most part.

When the Sox and M's talked Franklin-Viciedo does anyone remember who turned it down? If that trade was revisited and completed, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the Sox could break camp with Franklin-Alexei-Beckham at 3B-SS-2B and eventually move Alexei or Beckham. Franklin and Semien take over in the middle and Davidson gets 3B. That being said I have a really hard time figuring whether I like Franklin or not.

I believe the story was the Mariners offered Ackley for Viciedo, Hahn countered with Franklin for Viciedo, and then talks stopped.

Franklin's ceiling is likely not very high, but he's got a very good chance of being a solid contributor. I don't get the impression he's any better than Semien, though.

That said, I think Viciedo is horrible, so I'd make the move. I'd trade him for Ackley if we didn't already have a logjam there. But for this team, a flier in the OF is mroe valuable than a flier in the IF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
There could be one caveat in here we're not thinking about.

If they're considering moving Viciedo for one of the Mariners' expendibles...that would mean they've reached a point of severe unhappiness with Viciedo, either with something building during last season or something that they're really unhappy with about how he came to camp.

Otherwise, the only reason to move him would be the M's overpaying by giving up one of the guys people are saying they won't give up.

Not necessarily. Were the Sox unhappy with Santiago or Reed? Why would this be any different?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
Not necessarily. Were the Sox unhappy with Santiago or Reed? Why would this be any different?

In both of those cases, the Sox would appear to have gotten top-level returns for them of the sort that it seems people do not believe the Mariners will give up. That was the other option I noted.

Despite his down season last year, I believe Viciedo still holds some decent value because of his younger age and run producing potential. I hope Hahn really explores all his options here. Its pretty obvious that the glaring hole on this team is the catcher position. If we can get a catcher from the Mariners who fits the current mold of this team (22-27 and MLB ready) than I wouldn't mind exploring this. However after looking at the Mariner depth of the catcher position, past Zunino, I really don't like what I see.

Perhaps Hahn can pull off another creative three-way deal? The guy I want is Jason Castro out of Houston. He fits the mold perfectly for us. The fact that Castro does not want to negotiate a new deal in Houston got me thinking. Would the Astros be happy with Zunino at the catcher slot? If so, perhaps Hahn can somehow get Houston involved.

This is just an example:

White Sox get Jason Castro (better fit for Sox who are closer to competing)

Mariners get Dayan Viciedo (Mariners get their guy!)

Astros get Mike Zunino (better fit for Houston, get a young catcher with a high ceiling on a developing team, don't lose Castro for nothing)

Granite, this deal would also have to involve other pieces to even things out, but something to consider.