Big Ten Tournament

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost thinking Iowa got the better deal with the match-up against Northwestern instead of Purdue...but anybody Iowa's playing these days can be dangerous. Then again, it's hard to beat ANY team 3 times in one season, and yet losing to Northwestern and still making the NCAA Tourney would be a lot like Minnesota sliding in last year at 8-10 in the conference and losing their 1st round B10 Tourney game.

Lunardi had them as an 8 seed against Gonzaga's 9 seed....with Nebraska still at 11 despite finishing the Big 10 season by going 10-2, a lot like Baylor has finished with a flourish in the Big 12.

Thank god Iowa has been ranked all season long until today pretty much.

This way, Iowa would play MSU, and probably lose....and Nebraska has a very interesting match-up with Ohio State. If Nebraska wins that game, then you can say they're definitely for real.

Whatever happens, Miles has to be the Coach of the Year hands down, although Beilein also deserves a lot of credit for winning with a depleted roster and McGary out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Illinois-Wisky in 2008.

He also didn't make it his first year at OSU but they weren't eligible to play in the tournament that year. Interestingly, OSU has only missed the Big 10 championship game 3 times since 2002 and all 3 times the ended up being Wisconsin v. Illinois.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
He also didn't make it his first year at OSU but they weren't eligible to play in the tournament that year. Interestingly, OSU has only missed the Big 10 championship game 3 times since 2002 and all 3 times the ended up being Wisconsin v. Illinois.

And that matchup is a possibility. Crazy.

I think the Illini get in if we can win three games. Obviously a lot, lot easier said then done when you might not win one. But I'm going to go and get ahead of myself anyways.

Right now Illinois is 18-13 with a rpi of 62 and sos of 33. I would imagine going 3-1 in the Big Ten tournament would bump those computer numbers up to 50ish and late 20s. The record would be 21-14.

They would also have road/neutral wins vs Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska, Missouri, Michigan, and Ohio State or Nebraska again. I doubt any bubble team would be able to come close to those wins.

Last ten does not factor in which hurts us, though neither does conference record which helps.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
I think the Illini get in if we can win three games. Obviously a lot, lot easier said then done when you might not win one. But I'm going to go and get ahead of myself anyways.

Right now Illinois is 18-13 with a rpi of 62 and sos of 33. I would imagine going 3-1 in the Big Ten tournament would bump those computer numbers up to 50ish and late 20s. The record would be 21-14.

They would also have road/neutral wins vs Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska, Missouri, Michigan, and Ohio State or Nebraska again. I doubt any bubble team would be able to come close to those wins.

Last ten does not factor in which hurts us, though neither does conference record which helps.

I think 2 puts Illinois squarely on the bubble but likely just out of the tourney and 3 puts them in. That almost certainly isn't happening but its fun to think about because a few weeks ago this team needed a miracle to even be talked about as a potential tourney team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
Like I said before, he makes a great move, looks really athletic, but then the ball leaves his hand.

Shooting isn't even his problem. He can't dribble and literally has the worst court vision of any guard I've ever seen. He is also bad defensively.