Big Ten Tournament

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Q for those who know this a little better than me.

Hypothetically imagine that Tom Izzo was given Indiana's roster as-is to start the season. How do you think they would have done?

Maybe slightly better, but not much. You guys had a lot of freshman and freshman make dumb mistakes and are inconsistent. Maybe Izzo stresses getting the ball to Vonleh more, but I'm not sure what else could be done.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
It's really just no defense whatsoever.

I wasn't intending that to be a defense, I was actually curious as to whether or not the problems were coaching guys up, scheme on the floor, or a general lack of available talent.

Q for those who know this a little better than me.

Hypothetically imagine that Tom Izzo was given Indiana's roster as-is to start the season. How do you think they would have done?

Probably won a few more games, but that roster is not talented enough to be in the top 3 of the conference with any coach.

The majority of success in college sports comes from recruiting. There are very few Brad Stevens' out there consistently beating more talented teams.

Indiana (and Purdue for that matter) have got to shut off the pipeline that is carrying the state's best HS talent out of state. That is priority #1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
I wasn't intending that to be a defense, I was actually curious as to whether or not the problems were coaching guys up, scheme on the floor, or a general lack of available talent.

I meant Iowa plays no defense.

BUt yes, if Izzo was in charge of IU they would probably be better. Crean just isnt a very good coach.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
Probably won a few more games, but that roster is not talented enough to be in the top 3 of the conference with any coach.

The majority of success in college sports comes from recruiting. There are very few Brad Stevens' out there consistently beating more talented teams.

Indiana (and Purdue for that matter) have got to shut off the pipeline that is carrying the state's best HS talent out of state. That is priority #1.

IU has a lottery pick in the post and a second team all conference PG. Thats more than enough talent to be a lot better than 17-15.

Experts seemed to be at odds about Illinois' chances if they beat Michigan today. Lunardi says they still wouldn't be in the conversation, Yahoo's guy says they'd be a rock solid "in" and are already on the bubble.

If they win, and it's a big, big if, that's 8 top 100 RPI wins and 4 against the top 50. With other bubble teams losing early in conference tournaments, that would have to be enough, even with a sub .500 conference record.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Experts seemed to be at odds about Illinois' chances if they beat Michigan today. Lunardi says they still wouldn't be in the conversation, Yahoo's guy says they'd be a rock solid "in" and are already on the bubble.

If they win, and it's a big, big if, that's 8 top 100 RPI wins and 4 against the top 50. With other bubble teams losing early in conference tournaments, that would have to be enough, even with a sub .500 conference record.

Lunardi is an idiot. We'd have a better resume than "locks" like SMU with a win today. He has Green Bay ahead of us. What? Green Bay with the similar RPI, same amount of sub 100 losses with 3 or 4 (depending where Iowa finishes) less top 50 wins.

Yahoo has us 3rd our right now. Add a Michigan win and yeah they'd be in there assuming other bubble teams don't pull off something similar.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)

I've seen multiple folks that say a win today has them in, solidly.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Lunardi is an idiot. We'd have a better resume than "locks" like SMU with a win today. He has Green Bay ahead of us. What? Green Bay with the similar RPI, same amount of sub 100 losses with 3 or 4 (depending where Iowa finishes) less top 50 wins.

Yahoo has us 3rd our right now. Add a Michigan win and yeah they'd be in there assuming other bubble teams don't pull off something similar.

Agreed. I still think we probably need to win tomorrow to be safely in but anyone who says a win today doesn't put Illinois in the conversation is an idiot. Lundardi is consistently awful at this until he puts out his final brackets 1 minute before the selections are announced where literally anyone who pays attention will get almost everything right.

Wouldn't Illinois' RPI still be a killer, even after this win? They'd still only have two top 40 RPI wins (three more teams between 40 and 50). I'm not trying to troll. Is it because the bubble is so soft in your guys' opinion?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Wouldn't Illinois' RPI still be a killer, even after this win? They'd still only have two top 40 RPI wins (three more teams between 40 and 50). I'm not trying to troll. Is it because the bubble is so soft in your guys' opinion?

Bubble teams have been losing left and right. Their wins against top 100 RPI teams is impressive comparatively.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)

Compare them to other bubble teams. Shoot, compare them to Iowa. Not much different, just a couple more bad losses.