Big Ten Tournament

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
Glad Groce switched to man

Groce was awful that last minute or so. He should have called a timeout the possession with the shot clock violation as it was clear as day they weren't going to get a good shot before that.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
How perfect. Missed lay up/floater near the rim. Perfect summation of the season.

Got exactly the shot that you wanted there, just couldn't get it to go. Great character from this Illinois team getting back into the game, was a very fun game to watch. Looking forward to seeing more basketball from this team in the NIT.

On Groce, not sure you can blame him for not being in the zone off a miss (the play Stauskas got to the line) with the way Michigan gets shots in transition. I'm sure Groce had them in zone off a make, man off a miss there. I thought they should have been in the zone on the last possession as well, but having Jordan Morgan beat you is something I guess you live with. Biggest mistake was not calling timeout on offense when it was clear nothing was happening that possession. I'm sure Groce would like to have that one back.

EDIT: Also, give credit where credit is due. Groce deserves a great amount of credit for using the zone to get Illinois back in the game.

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
We will be good next year and a lock tourney team. How good depends on the transfers and how big of jumps Hill and Nunn make.

Not according to some on this board. Haven't you heard? Illinois players won't improve.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
Well that sucks. Bad season. Oh well hopefully get better in the NIT and do better next year.

I wouldn't call that a bad season, it's right about where I expected them (predicted 17 wins). 9 new players this year, 5 of them freshmen, it's tough to go to the dance with a team like that, and yet we were 2 points from most likely getting in.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
So did Rice's uncontested finger role/dunk attempt/airball lose it?

A lot of plays "lost" the game, fact is we were in a position to win it and we didn't execute enough to pull it off.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
Not according to some on this board. Haven't you heard? Illinois players won't improve.

Name me a player that improved significantly from last year to this year. Egwu learned to stop fouling. That's about it.

I wouldn't call them a lock at all next year. That should be the expectation, but it's no guarantee.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)

They've been called to improve for years with nothing to show for it. Who can blame the skepticism? On top of that its not like they are pulling in top 10 recruiting classes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
They've been called to improve for years with nothing to show for it. Who can blame the skepticism? On top of that its not like they are pulling in top 10 recruiting classes.

Bingo.

Look, I want Illinois to be dominate again as much as the next fan, but this expectation for next year is akin to the NC talk back when Richmond committed. It's great to think so positively, but being a realist isn't a bad thing either. The reality is next year's team is still going to rely on a PG that isn't a true PG and doesn't have a great offensive game (Abrams), a SG that can go off for 30 but also be held to 2 (Rice), and a center that is basically a non factor on one end of the court (Egwu). Nunn and Hill hopefully take a leap, and hopefully Crosby and Starks can be immediate impact guys. But we'll have to wait and see.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Bingo.

Look, I want Illinois to be dominate again as much as the next fan, but this expectation for next year is akin to the NC talk back when Richmond committed. It's great to think so positively, but being a realist isn't a bad thing either. The reality is next year's team is still going to rely on a PG that isn't a true PG and doesn't have a great offensive game (Abrams), a SG that can go off for 30 but also be held to 2 (Rice), and a center that is basically a non factor on one end of the court (Egwu). Nunn and Hill hopefully take a leap, and hopefully Crosby and Starks can be immediate impact guys. But we'll have to wait and see.

If they pulled in the #1 class in the country or even just Alexander I would be on board. But its just not the case.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)

Nothing to show for it? They improved greatly last year after losing a lottery pick. They've improved greatly over the course of this season also. Groce has been here two years, so anything beyond those two years is a different issue.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Nothing to show for it? They improved greatly last year after losing a lottery pick. They've improved greatly over the course of this season also. Groce has been here two years, so anything beyond those two years is a different issue.

Yea Nunn and Hill didn't improve at all this year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Bingo.

Who said anything about being dominant? How about this, if Illinois isn't at least a 7 (roughly a top 25 type team) seed next year I won't ever post on this board again.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)

Yes, nothing to show for it. No challenge at the conference title or tournament and an NIT berth. Last year they were 23-12 8-10 in conference. This year they are 19-14 7-10. What have they shown?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Yes, nothing to show for it. No challenge at the conference title or tournament and an NIT berth. Last year they were 23-12 8-10 in conference. This year they are 19-14 7-10. What have they shown?

Apparently context means nothing.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Apparently context means nothing.

LOL. What about the team says they are a lock for the tournament? The Big Ten was way down this year and they didnt make it. Other teams in the conference are bringing in and have brought in more talent. Connect the dots for me here

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)

The f***? They were always going to be worse this year. You lost 2 starters that played a ton of minutes along with 2 other seniors that played a good amount, had no freshmen to sophomore jumps to expect, and no instant impact freshmen. Nunn and Hill are going to be all conference type players eventually and they have 3 proven college talents eligible next year with a potential very good freshman in Black coming in.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
The f***? They were always going to be worse this year. You lost 2 starters that played a ton of minutes along with 2 other seniors that played a good amount, had no freshmen to sophomore jumps to expect, and no instant impact freshmen. Nunn and Hill are going to be all conference type players eventually and they have 3 proven college talents eligible next year with a potential very good freshman in Black coming in.

So that to you points to tournament LOCK?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
LOL. What about the team says they are a lock for the tournament? The Big Ten was way down this year and they didnt make it. Other teams in the conference are bringing in and have brought in more talent. Connect the dots for me here

How about a basic understanding about indicators of what a team will do the next season? Illinois has a bunch of guys making freshman to sophomore jumps which is a huge predictor of improvement. They are losing very few senior minutes. They have 3 guys who have proven to be good college players becoming eligible next year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
How about a basic understanding about indicators of what a team will do the next season? Illinois has a bunch of guys making freshman to sophomore jumps which is a huge predictor of improvement. They are losing very few senior minutes. They have 3 guys who have proven to be good college players becoming eligible next year.

And like i said before, why cant we be skeptical when we've heard this from Illinois before? I dont see anything that says absolute lock for the tournament in what I saw this year.

If you are trying to say that I lack basic understanding of college basketball then maybe you need to take a deep breath.