Keppinger could start season on DL

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
I don't think this will affect Davidson either way.

No it won't. He will start the season in the minors. The way RV talks about needing to improve on defense and the strikeouts, they've already made up their mind on him for this year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
No it won't. He will start the season in the minors. The way RV talks about needing to improve on defense and the strikeouts, they've already made up their mind on him for this year.

Which makes it a bit of a curious acquisition if he's not going to play in the majors until August or September.

That pushes the contention window back a little more...into 2016.

Surely they knew about these issues before the trade. It has always been their philosophy to let players "learn" at the major league level. We'll see if that changes, for once.

We're getting close to the season and I've said this 100 times but I hate it so I'll say it again. We have De Aza, Viciedo, and Jordan Danks (who's been killing it) battling for two spots. Then we have Gillaspie, Davidson, Semien, Keppinger, and L. Garcia battling for 1-2 spots. Just trade De Aza and one of Gillaspenger to make this easier.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
We're getting close to the season and I've said this 100 times but I hate it so I'll say it again. We have De Aza, Viciedo, and Jordan Danks (who's been killing it) battling for two spots. Then we have Gillaspie, Davidson, Semien, Keppinger, and L. Garcia battling for 1-2 spots. Just trade De Aza and one of Gillaspenger to make this easier.

Semien and Davidson start in AAA, De Aza/Viciedo dealt with Danks making team as 4th OF, Gillaspie at third, Keppinger on DL, Garcia backup infielder. Its not that hard. And if Kepp isn't on DL, Garcia getting at bats in the outfield, infield, and random DH at bats in AAA. Not that hard.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 09:41 PM)
Semien and Davidson start in AAA, De Aza/Viciedo dealt with Danks making team as 4th OF, Gillaspie at third, Keppinger on DL, Garcia backup infielder. Its not that hard. And if Kepp isn't on DL, Garcia getting at bats in the outfield, infield, and random DH at bats in AAA. Not that hard.

I think Davidson can start up in the bigs. Which one of De Aza/Viciedo gets dealt and to whom?

If Keppinger isn't right, he needs to start on the DL. When he is right and has rehabbed and proven his arm is ok, then we bring him up and play him. Not before.

This does simplify the issue short-term, I see Davidson starting in AAA, Gillaspie as starting 3rd baseman and Semien as utility back up (barring a Beckham trade) Semien showed more than Leury Garcia last season and can play 3rd base, Short Stop and 2nd Base.

Unless we do manage to trade De Aza or Tank, they will platoon at left field and JoDa will start in AAA.

Which leaves the catcher, it looks like the job is Flowers with Nieto as back up (rule 5 rules (unless a trade is made)) and Phegley starting in AAA

QUOTE (glangon @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 05:02 AM)
If Keppinger isn't right, he needs to start on the DL. When he is right and has rehabbed and proven his arm is ok, then we bring him up and play him. Not before.

This does simplify the issue short-term, I see Davidson starting in AAA, Gillaspie as starting 3rd baseman and Semien as utility back up (barring a Beckham trade) Semien showed more than Leury Garcia last season and can play 3rd base, Short Stop and 2nd Base.

Unless we do manage to trade De Aza or Tank, they will platoon at left field and JoDa will start in AAA.

Which leaves the catcher, it looks like the job is Flowers with Nieto as back up (rule 5 rules (unless a trade is made)) and Phegley starting in AAA

I keep reading this, and it really needs clarification, imo. If we don't deal one of DV/ADA before the season, I'd like to avoid the word platoon, as it implies, to many, AB's based on opposite handedness. I sincerely hope that this is NOT the plan, because the guy who we hope still has a lot of upside did not have any more issues with RHP than LHP in 2013. His relative suckage was non-discriminatory.

If they're both still here 3/31, DV needs to be getting MOST of the AB's in LF, even though most pitchers are obviously righty. ADA will get plenty of AB's backing up all three positions, and playing LF a little more often, plus D replacement, while trying DV at DH on occasion, perhaps.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
I think Davidson can start up in the bigs. Which one of De Aza/Viciedo gets dealt and to whom?

Davidson is going to start the year in AAA. Also, I'm not trading either Viciedo or De Aza unless the return is right, but both are rather mediocre players at this point in their careers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
I have a feeling it's going to be a Gillaspie/Semien platoon at 3b this year, with Semien getting some starts at 2b as well.

How though? Where is Semien's roster spot coming from? As of now, barring a trade, the bench is De Aza, Konerko, Keppinger, and a catcher. Without Keppinger on the roster, I'm assuming it'd be Danks or Leury Garcia. Semien will most likely be starting at AAA with Sanchez, Davidson, and Wilkins in the IF.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
How though? Where is Semien's roster spot coming from? As of now, barring a trade, the bench is De Aza, Konerko, Keppinger, and a catcher. Without Keppinger on the roster, I'm assuming it'd be Danks or Leury Garcia. Semien will most likely be starting at AAA with Sanchez, Davidson, and Wilkins in the IF.

Semien has no spot on this team unless De Aza and keppinger are gone(even then they rather have him starting) or beckham or alexei is gone. So more than likely he'll be in AAA all year because they want him playing every day i believe.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
Which makes it a bit of a curious acquisition if he's not going to play in the majors until August or September.

That pushes the contention window back a little more...into 2016.

Surely they knew about these issues before the trade. It has always been their philosophy to let players "learn" at the major league level. We'll see if that changes, for once.

Honestly, with the way prices are going up around MLB, pushing all of his price increases back a year isn't a bad idea.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
I would put the under/over at August 1st unless an injury happens.

For Semien? Sept. 1 when the rosters expand if there's no injury. the only other way for him to come up is for Beckham or Ramirez to be traded. 3b is too jammed and I sincerely hope they're not dumb enough to call him up for a month to be a backup middle infielder.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
For Semien? Sept. 1 when the rosters expand if there's no injury. the only other way for him to come up is for Beckham or Ramirez to be traded. 3b is too jammed and I sincerely hope they're not dumb enough to call him up for a month to be a backup middle infielder.

They want him here now, however lots of stuff has to happen for that to be reality.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
They want him here now, however lots of stuff has to happen for that to be reality.

Well, Kepp going to the DL can't hurt, what else needs to happen? You've already bummed me out about Davidson. :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)

Davidson