Dunn not in the best shape of his life

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
#1) People within the Sox organization are aware of this board and do read these threads, but Rick Hahn is not one of them. He doesn't say "Hold on Kevin, I've got to check Soxtalk to see what those guys think I should do."

#2) I do not believe he would take you seriously even if he did.

I've been over this with you 100 times and it goes right in and right out.

#1) He's due $15 million. If the Sox can save some of that, it's a win.

#2) The Sox are going to need him in the lineup if they are going to have a chance to compete at all.

God pity the GM who does, because he wouldn't have his job for long.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Dunn, and I root for him every time he comes up to bat. He's been a big disappintment with the Sox, but as someone else pointed out, his line since being with the Sox is affected by the outlier year of 2011. Still, batting .210 or so isn't great. The power still seems to be there, and I hope he cranks out 25 HRs before the trade deadline so if the Sox wish to they could possibly trade him. Right now, though, he's going nowhere. The Sox don't have a hope to trade him without sending a bunmch of money (which they won't do), and contrary to the beliefs of some people, dumping a guy and eating $15 million makes absolutely no sense.

Everything I've seen heard, and read about Dunn is that he's a great teammate. I know that doesn't necessarily lead to wins, but having a veteran guy in the clubhouse who is a good teammate doesn't hurt at all.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)
Sox are trying to compete now? With who, the Twins? Astros? This team doesn't have a shot.

Don't forget that the FO needs to make the player believe they are trying to compete. I know I'm usually the guy that poops all over the "veteran presence" type of stuff, but if the FO believes that Dunn is a good clubhouse presence and/or leader, they are also aware of the message that is sent to the young guys when you dump a big name guy for nothing right before the season starts. He has value to the roster because he does make it better this year, but more importantly he make the players THINK the roster is better.

I would not be in favor of ACQUIRING Dunn to do this at his price. But since we've already committed to pay him, I don't see an issue with keeping around to do it.

This is assuming that he isn't taking PT from a kid who legitmately needs PT. It's a complicated equation, this having Dunn-ness, and I could probably be convinced that dumping him has more pros than cons, but I don't think it's an obvious black-hole negative like you do. There are arguments to keep him, it's just not easy to figure out which arguments are the best because they all include intangibles.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
Uh, Scott, polarizing implies that their are strong opinions on both the like and dislike sides of the equation. I'm pretty sure only relative shades of dislike exist for Donkey among the fanbase.

The sad state of pseudo-journalism.

Other than Mark Buehrle, Dunn is my favorite player in MLB and the player I root for the most.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
#1) People within the Sox organization are aware of this board and do read these threads, but Rick Hahn is not one of them. He doesn't say "Hold on Kevin, I've got to check Soxtalk to see what those guys think I should do."

This is a fun thing to think about. "Ok, ok, greg775 likes him, so we know we'll have the fans from Lawrence behind us. Ahh s***, here's a lengthy one from witesoxfan, get ready for a dumpfest. WHo gave that asshole access to FanGraphs anyway? Oh it's free? Oh. Well whatever."

Back to the competing thing, if the Sox win 86 games, is anyone going to be too surprised? On the flip side, if they only win 72 games, is anyone going to be surprised? I won't be surprised with either. Baseball is a fickle game, and you can flip everything around simply by being luckier.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
This is a fun thing to think about. "Ok, ok, greg775 likes him, so we know we'll have the fans from Lawrence behind us. Ahh s***, here's a lengthy one from witesoxfan, get ready for a dumpfest. WHo gave that asshole access to FanGraphs anyway? Oh it's free? Oh. Well whatever."

"Hey guys, should we go after Ervin Santana?"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
Back to the competing thing, if the Sox win 86 games, is anyone going to be too surprised? On the flip side, if they only win 72 games, is anyone going to be surprised? I won't be surprised with either. Baseball is a fickle game, and you can flip everything around simply by being luckier.

Honestly, I'd be more surprised by only 72 wins. I see this team playing close to .500 baseball. 82 wins won't be enough to compete, but 86 wins vs. 82 wins could be the difference between playing baseball in October and playing golf in October.

"Quick, I need a team of folks to hit the Applebees in Lawrence, Tulsa, and um...how about New London. Find out which players make them smile. And see if Ozzie is available to help with the polling."

That's exactly how it goes.

Whenever Greg makes a comment even slightly contradictory toward Ozzie or something Ozzie did during his tenure here you pull on that alarm and you do it because it's a good way to make sure you hit your quota for your annual earthquake drill.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
"Quick, I need a team of folks to hit the Applebees in Lawrence, Tulsa, and um...how about New London. Find out which players make them smile. And see if Ozzie is available to help with the polling."

Adam Dunn would be a good fat waitress at Applebees. Then he could add a little TexMex to spice up some of that "veteran wisdom" he's so great for. I don't think I want Dunn giving advice to anyone on this team.

Back to the competing thing, if the Sox win 86 games, is anyone going to be too surprised?

Yes because then Hahn will have become a God.

On the flip side, if they only win 72 games, is anyone going to be surprised?

No. I think they'll have underachieved by a few games probably, but the difference between 72 wins and 78 wins may be as simple as a quality Felipe Paulino and both Boggs & Belisario working out very well versus 2 holes in the pen and a revolving door in the 5th spot.

What if greg775 was just one of Hahn's Assistant GMs trying to neutralize the PR around all the worst things that happen to the White Sox? Think about it: he supports everything the rest of us hate, and dumps on everything we like. He's not a troll, he's an entity of universal balance.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Adam Dunn would be a good fat waitress at Applebees. Then he could add a little TexMex to spice up some of that "veteran wisdom" he's so great for. I don't think I want Dunn giving advice to anyone on this team.

Well, he does have experience as a bartender after Dallas Buyers Club.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
What if greg775 was just one of Hahn's Assistant GMs trying to neutralize the PR around all the worst things that happen to the White Sox? Think about it: he supports everything the rest of us hate, and dumps on everything we like. He's not a troll, he's an entity of universal balance.

Someone needs to put that on greg775's profile.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)

He'll be playing one in his next movie.

That's the "Image of the Day" TUC, kudos.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Someone needs to put that on greg775's profile.

I like it as a sig.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
"Hey guys, should we go after Ervin Santana?"

Bah gawd how did I miss this precious little gemstone?

Yes, that is exactly what happened. You fought hard against that & it was probably your single greatest victory as a member of this team and here you are mocking it? If your not then I apologize.

If you do realize what you have done and the hand you have played in us *not* signing Ervin Santana then maybe you can appreciate about 1/10th of a percent of the joy I'd feel if I could help Hahn see the light here and toss this guy out with the trash.

Even Keppinger's playing ball and getting hurt, that's the kind of guy who you want around anyway, one that will take one for the team. Where's the Dunn injury report? Come on, what are you waiting for Rick? Dump the guy.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)

I love the thought but's let remember how greg was 100% anti-Rios immediately and as a result he looked like an absolute genius during the "all-in" year. There was no need for him to have been negative then, he should have been supportive.

But still maybe you're right, and he was negative about Rios then because he needed to join the party, needed to get as many people on his side as possible for what was soon to become his Alamo for Ozzie. But Greg is terrific regardless and it is important to remember all the great things he's said about Mark, AJ, and the Hawkaroo over all these years. And if those comments were meant for balance then what a sad f***in state man, seriously.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
Bah gawd how did I miss this precious little gemstone?

Yes, that is exactly what happened. You fought hard against that & it was probably your single greatest victory as a member of this team and here you are mocking it? If your not then I apologize.

If you do realize what you have done and the hand you have played in us *not* signing Ervin Santana then maybe you can appreciate about 1/10th of a percent of the joy I'd feel if I could help Hahn see the light here and toss this guy out with the trash.

Even Keppinger's playing ball and getting hurt, that's the kind of guy who you want around anyway, one that will take one for the team. Where's the Dunn injury report? Come on, what are you waiting for Rick? Dump the guy.

You haven't been around here very much have you?