Dunn not in the best shape of his life

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
The fact is anyone who says Dunn has some value or is holding out hope he can build some, is basing it on how much money he is owed. If he were making $4-5 million, I doubt many would be arguing any post saying release him, and it is highly unlikely the White Sox get anything of value for him at the deadline even if he is productive. Look what Rios brought back.

I think we all agree Adam Dunn sucks.

Rios is a great example.

And as I said in another post, there is a massive salary gap which the Sox would have to bridge regardless to get any return on Dunn whatsoever. Whatever that gap is, when you remove it, Dunn is paid as a bench player & the only reason you even bother trotting him out there is because you believe there is a chance of a quality return in the form of a prospect. Is that quality return in the form of a prospect theoretically possible? Yes. A realistic expectation? No.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Really cheap. Especially last year's model since he changed numbers.

The only value in a Dunn jersey is in the mind of the person burning it. And I for one would much rather burn a "32" Dunn jersey than a "44" Dunn jersey. And the more "32" jerseys destroyed, the rarer they become.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
The only value in a Dunn jersey is in the mind of the person burning it. And I for one would much rather burn a "32" Dunn jersey than a "44" Dunn jersey. And the more "32" jerseys destroyed, the rarer they become.

If he hits 50 bombs this year, you will be expected to record yourself eating an actual turd sandwich. It must be posted on the FutureSox YouTube channel for our collective viewing pleasure.

You all also know that the Sox are having both DeAza & Viciedo compete for 1 position BECAUSE Dunn is taking up the DH slot.

You all also know that as a result, Dunn is going to take PA from both DeAza & Viciedo,

In 2013, Dunn had a .762 OPS, Viciedo had a .731 OPS, and DeAza had a .728 OPS. So why exactly is it a bad thing that Dunn is taking PA from DeAza and Viciedo? Taking PA away from an inferior hitter and giving them to a better hitter is generally accepted as a pretty good strategy.

On a team where every single hitter on the team sucked, you are singling out the guy who sucked the least and demanding that the Sox pay him $15 million just to get him off the team.

It's like there's a entire group of short people and singling out the tallest of them and deciding you hate his f***ing guts because he's short.

It's like singling out a guy who just had his 65th birthday and deciding you hate his f***ing guts because he's old.

Do I need to go on?

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
In 2013, Dunn had a .762 OPS, Viciedo had a .731 OPS, and DeAza had a .728 OPS. So why exactly is it a bad thing that Dunn is taking PA from DeAza and Viciedo? Taking PA away from an inferior hitter and giving them to a better hitter is generally accepted as a pretty good strategy.

On a team where every single hitter on the team sucked, you are singling out the guy who sucked the least and demanding that the Sox pay him $15 million just to get him off the team.

It's like there's a entire group of short people and singling out the tallest of them and deciding you hate his f***ing guts because he's short.

It's like singling out a guy who just had his 65th birthday and deciding you hate his f***ing guts because he's old.

Do I need to go on?

No, because you don't have a clue as it is. You pick one measure, go look at some of the others. Then after you do & realize you're wrong, post in another thread about something else instead of here about the same crap everyone else keeps going on about.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
TUC this all can be solved if you fork over $15 million dollars to the White Sox. Until you're willing to do bankroll the DFA Dunn fan club, no one will take you seriously. Your posts are beyond brutal at this point.

Yeah by that logic I should go ahead and pay the rent & electric bills for a couple kids, fill their cupboards too, just because I disagree with the way their crackhead parents choose to spend their money. Right. Brilliant logic here.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
If he hits 50 bombs this year, you will be expected to record yourself eating an actual turd sandwich. It must be posted on the FutureSox YouTube channel for our collective viewing pleasure.

And so then what will you do if he does the same s*** he's done here for 3 years, and the Sox get nothing, and end up taking PA from players who would benefit more? What do you do then? Huh? Huh? What do you do then Mr Eminor3D?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Yeah by that logic I should go ahead and pay the rent & electric bills for a couple kids, fill their cupboards too, just because I disagree with the way their crackhead parents choose to spend their money. Right. Brilliant logic here.

So now you're comparing the White Sox front office and brain trust to crackhead parents. That makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)

Your logic would be more apt to blowing up your car because the muffler was dragging on the ground.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
And so then what will you do if he does the same s*** he's done here for 3 years, and the Sox get nothing, and end up taking PA from players who would benefit more? What do you do then? Huh? Huh? What do you do then Mr Eminor3D?

I'm eating a turd sandwich if Viciedo turns into a superstar.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Jesus loves Adam Dunn.

Yes, but that's the whole "turn the other cheek thing," and the idea that "the Last Shall Be First" and so on. So basically in Heaven the All-Star ballot is backwards & you get brownie points for rolling over for the other pitcher & hitting right directly into the shift. So that's great for Jesus & great for Dunn if Heaven does exist especially since there's all that jello there for his dumb fatass but for a Sox fan it sucks my f***ing balls.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I'm eating a turd sandwich if Viciedo turns into a superstar.

That's fair.

Dunn has no chance in hell at 50HR & Viciedo probably has no chance at superstardom. Dunn does have a chance at a mostly empty and very low batting average & some HRs in the 30ish range with a whole massive f***load of otherwise pissed away PA to go with it. Viciedo OTOH has a chance to at least be a useful offensive player, but doesn't walk enough and isn't athletic enough to be a star.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Your logic would be more apt to blowing up your car because the muffler was dragging on the ground.

If the exhaust system prevents me from passing the emissions testing and there money it would take to fix the problem is prohibitive given the worth of the car, and if the choice is to sell the piece of junk to the junkyards for X amount, or sell it to a pyromanic for a higher amount who just wants to blow the thing up, then yes, I could blow up a car for something related to a muffler issue.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
That's fair.

Dunn has no chance in hell at 50HR & Viciedo probably has no chance at superstardom. Dunn does have a chance at a mostly empty and very low batting average & some HRs in the 30ish range with a whole massive f***load of otherwise pissed away PA to go with it. Viciedo OTOH has a chance to at least be a useful offensive player, but doesn't walk enough and isn't athletic enough to be a star.

Yeah but if we're talking about literally eating poo, it needs to be reserved for the extremes.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
If the exhaust system prevents me from passing the emissions testing and there money it would take to fix the problem is prohibitive given the worth of the car, and if the choice is to sell the piece of junk to the junkyards for X amount, or sell it to a pyromanic for a higher amount who just wants to blow the thing up, then yes, I could blow up a car for something related to a muffler issue.

In your scenario, X=0

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Yeah but if we're talking about literally eating poo, it needs to be reserved for the extremes.

Agreed.

However, consider mixing chocolate pudding with corn starch, adding some yellow food coloring and pieces of canned kernel corn, and then consider squeezing the result from a pastry frosting gun so that it looked like poo. That wouldn't be so bad. Who would really know?

I'd definitely eat fake poo if Dunn hit .240+ again over a large sample size of ABs against both sides of the plate, OR if he could actually be part of a quality platoon without noticeably suffering in his stats vs. RHP given the extra time on the bench & seeing less live pitching.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Agreed.

However, consider mixing chocolate pudding with corn starch, adding some yellow food coloring and pieces of canned kernel corn, and then consider squeezing the result from a pastry frosting gun so that it looked like poo. That wouldn't be so bad. Who would really know?

I'd definitely eat fake poo if Dunn hit .240+ again over a large sample size of ABs against both sides of the plate, OR if he could actually be part of a quality platoon without noticeably suffering in his stats vs. RHP given the extra time on the bench & seeing less live pitching.

I'd eat chocolate regardless!

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
In your scenario, X=0

If I couldn't get anything for my junked car & was forced with the option of either sinking further resources into it or blowing it up and moving on, hell f***ing yeah I'd refrain from trying to pump it's value up through $$$ or in Dunn's case plate appearances, and I'd just move on. I'd blow it up myself assuming I could get away with it. Sometimes there are restrictions on things like explosives, like whether you can or can't own them, when and where you can detonate them, etc.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
If I couldn't get anything for my junked car & was forced with the option of either sinking further resources into it or blowing it up and moving on, hell f***ing yeah I'd refrain from trying to pump it's value up through $$$ or in Dunn's case plate appearances, and I'd just move on. I'd blow it up myself assuming I could get away with it. Sometimes there are restrictions on things like explosives, like whether you can or can't own them, when and where you can detonate them, etc.

Not gonna shop it to different junkyards and see if you can get >$0?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
If you notice, unlike wite I can make a zillion different analogies & none of them ever have to involve washing machines. Poor washing machines, why won't you just leave them alone?!?!?!

Yes, because comparing the White Sox front office to that of crackhead parents is a logical and well thought out analogy.