U.S. Cellular Field Problems

Jose Abreu

Scot Gregor @scotgregor Mar 14

Sox manager R Ventura said there's a heavy layer off frost, warning tracks are bad and the Sox' 3/30 home workout likely to be scrapped

So we're scratching the 3/30 workout yet we plan on playing a real game on the same field the next day?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Workouts can be moved, games need a good reason to be moved. Frost under the sod is probably not a good reason

The hideous winter b**** goddess you folks have been grappling with was bound to affect the season, it's only fitting.

JJ Stankevitz ‏@JJStankevitz 37m

Bossard says the permafrost on US Cellular Field is 30 inches. Needs to thaw it 6-10 inches before opening day.

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 51m

Bossard says that if the White Sox had to play today, the field would be unplayable. He believes it will be ready for Opening Day.

Roger Bossard says that they've removed 400 tons of snow at US Cellular Field.

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 50m

Groundskeeper Roger Bossard says back is to the wall. Not sure 2 weeks is enough to thaw field for Opening Day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)

Bossard says the permafrost on US Cellular Field is 30 inches. Needs to thaw it 6-10 inches before opening day.

Bossard says that if the White Sox had to play today, the field would be unplayable. He believes it will be ready for Opening Day.

Groundskeeper Roger Bossard says back is to the wall. Not sure 2 weeks is enough to thaw field for Opening Day.

Do they have something against heaters?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)

So Bossard isn't sure if 2 weeks is enough to thaw the field, but he does believe it will be ready for Opening Day. Hmmm.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)
Workouts can be moved, games need a good reason to be moved. Frost under the sod is probably not a good reason

Yes it is a good reason depending on the frost depth. Early season games get postponed a lot

They'll figure out how to make the field playable. That's their job, and they're very good at it. I've been going to opening day for many years now and only one has been postponed. They make it a priority.

This does beg the question of why they didn't start the process sooner, or more continually over the winter..

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
They'll figure out how to make the field playable. That's their job, and they're very good at it. I've been going to opening day for many years now and only one has been postponed. They make it a priority.

This does beg the question of why they didn't start the process sooner, or more continually over the winter..

It will be fine. The reason they didn't start this sooner is because they didn't have to. Might as well create some drama and then some high praise for Bossard getting the field ready. You know on Opening Day Hawk is a lock to say he thought there was zero chance the field would be ready, but it will be next to perfect and he will go on and on about Roger. We all know it is going to happen, so as an old college roommate used to say to women who were a little aprehensive concerning his advances, "let it happen".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
It will be fine. The reason they didn't start this sooner is because they didn't have to. Might as well create some drama and then some high praise for Bossard getting the field ready. You know on Opening Day Hawk is a lock to say he thought there was zero chance the field would be ready, but it will be next to perfect and he will go on and on about Roger. We all know it is going to happen, so as an old college roommate used to say to women who were a little aprehensive concerning his advances, "let it happen".

Ugh, gross. The excitement of baseball season gets ruined by the return of Hawk's voice.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Ugh, gross. The excitement of baseball season gets ruined by the return of Hawk's voice.

I love Hawk, and the only thing he does that really rubs me wrong is when he goes on and on about the umpires. On Opening Day and at the beginning of the year when no White Sox losses can be pinned on the men in blue, Hawk is awesome.

My wife and I went to a friend's house a few years ago and he had the game on. We would say "should be" "rack em up" on a DP ball, "can of corn", and Hawk would say it. Our wives were amazed. They thought we should be doing PBP for a living. They were wondering how we knew what he would say. I just said it was a gift.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
I love Hawk, and the only thing he does that really rubs me wrong is when he goes on and on about the umpires. On Opening Day and at the beginning of the year when no White Sox losses can be pinned on the men in blue, Hawk is awesome.

My wife and I went to a friend's house a few years ago and he had the game on. We would say "should be" "rack em up" on a DP ball, "can of corn", and Hawk would say it. Our wives were amazed. They thought we should be doing PBP for a living. They were wondering how we knew what he would say. I just said it was a gift.

That is a good point. If he's in a good mood and not finding someone else to blame or complain about, he's much more enjoyable.

He's been easier on the umpires for a couple of seasons now. It just explodes in 1-2 games a year, as opposed to coming up repeatedly like before. When he has an epic rant, that's fun, so I don't mind. Going on about umps on a day-by-day basis is more tiresome and he doesn't do that anymore

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Sometimes his blow ups at the umps have merit.

"NO.... NO.... NO....!" "AND ANOTHER BLOWN CALL BY ANGEL HERNANDEZ!"

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WAGNER!"

With the meltdowns I see on Soxtalk, I laugh that it bothers people that Hawk, who is WAY more connected to this team and game, has a meltdown about something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
With the meltdowns I see on Soxtalk, I laugh that it bothers people that Hawk, who is WAY more connected to this team and game, has a meltdown about something.

Fans can have meltdowns, you're not supposed to do it as the official voice of the franchise.

My opinion of Hawk is that he's getting older and crankier...and he's also putting on a show for MLB Network. The more he does "The Hawk Show", the more they feature him. Bottom line-- Hawk wants to be in the Hall of Fame. The more he thinks he's making a mark on the game and the longer he stays, the better chance he has to make it in the Hall----at least in his mind.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
Fans can have meltdowns, you're not supposed to do it as the official voice of the franchise.

Emotionless and unbiased announcers are boring as hell. The best announcers in sports are the guys who get into the game and make you feel like you are there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
Emotionless and unbiased announcers are boring as hell. The best announcers in sports are the guys who get into the game and make you feel like you are there.

I agree with you on that point. Hawk was amazing in the 90's and early 2000's. At this point, though, he's actually hurting the brand.

I used to think that maybe my opinion of him has just changed over the years and that I was too young to care much when I watch him 10-15 years ago. But then I went through a short period where I was seeking out old games to re-watch and I realized I was wrong -- Hawk used to be a much more alert, professional announcer that had a passionate edge that made him a cut above the rest. Now, he's become a caricature. My hope is that he leaves on his own accord soon so we can honor his memory. The way it's going now, he'll either get forced out by finally going too far or he'll keep getting worse until he dies at his lowest point. I don't want either of those to happen.