U.S. Cellular Field Problems

Jose Abreu

Emotionless and unbiased announcers are boring as hell. The best announcers in sports are the guys who get into the game and make you feel like you are there.

Yes, but an announcer can do that without yelling and screaming and getting overexcited about everything. Since I'm near Cincinnati, I sometimes put Reds games on just to listen to Marty Brennaman.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
Yes, but an announcer can do that without yelling and screaming and getting overexcited about everything. Since I'm near Cincinnati, I sometimes put Reds games on just to listen to Marty Brennaman.

It has been torture to listen to spring training games this year. There haven't been a lot of Sox broadcasts, so I have been forced to listen to the other teams feeds. It makes me want to kick puppies.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
It has been torture to listen to spring training games this year. There haven't been a lot of Sox broadcasts, so I have been forced to listen to the other teams feeds. It makes me want to kick puppies.

As much as I hate every hype train, I gotta say that I believe that Vin Scully is NOT overrated.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
I don't mind Vin.

I have heard the Brewers, Rangers, and Angels crews in the last week. Talk about a load of suck.

Yeah, especially the Brewers guys. I thought I heard they were good. Are we sure that was the actual in-season team? Could be their version of Bill Melton, for example.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)

It's tough when other broadcasters are misidentifying Sox players and mispronouncing names.

Hawk still has good pipes and energy, which is great. But he would be so much better if he would completely ignore that he was once a player. If he just called the game on the field and let the color guy do his job, he would be so much better.

He's constantly talking about his own playing career and how things used to be, and it's not entertaining. And if he's spewing the same stuff over and over, it's unlistenable---"the first rule in baseball is to catch the ball"....yes Hawk, we know, thank you.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
It's tough when other broadcasters are misidentifying Sox players and mispronouncing names.

Hawk still has good pipes and energy, which is great. But he would be so much better if he would completely ignore that he was once a player. If he just called the game on the field and let the color guy do his job, he would be so much better.

He's constantly talking about his own playing career and how things used to be, and it's not entertaining. And if he's spewing the same stuff over and over, it's unlistenable---"the first rule in baseball is to catch the ball"....yes Hawk, we know, thank you.

All ex-players tell stories. We just hear Hawks on a daily basis.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
All ex-players tell stories. We just hear Hawks on a daily basis.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Stories are fine when they're applicable. But when it comes to the "In my time zone..." stuff, he needs to let it go. He's become way too preachy the last few years.

And maybe some of it is that he doesn't have any chemistry with Stone. It's just a bad broadcast team.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
I agree with you on that point. Hawk was amazing in the 90's and early 2000's. At this point, though, he's actually hurting the brand.

I used to think that maybe my opinion of him has just changed over the years and that I was too young to care much when I watch him 10-15 years ago. But then I went through a short period where I was seeking out old games to re-watch and I realized I was wrong -- Hawk used to be a much more alert, professional announcer that had a passionate edge that made him a cut above the rest. Now, he's become a caricature. My hope is that he leaves on his own accord soon so we can honor his memory. The way it's going now, he'll either get forced out by finally going too far or he'll keep getting worse until he dies at his lowest point. I don't want either of those to happen.

Well said, sums up my thoughts exactly.

I agree with flavum that Hawk is now just holding out to get in the HOF. Santo did the same thing and it cost him induction while he was still alive. Sometimes walking away allows people to appreciate what you have done.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
Going on about umps on a day-by-day basis is more tiresome and he doesn't do that anymore.

He'll have even less time for that this year as according to Stone, they'll make an effort to talk about them there sabermathrics and other black magic/number voodoo.

Although I suppose he can come up with his own metric to quantify umpire sucktitude.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
He'll have even less time for that this year as according to Stone, they'll make an effort to talk about them there sabermathrics and other black magic/number voodoo.

Although I suppose he can come up with his own metric to quantify umpire sucktitude.

TWTSTWS: The Will To Screw The White Sox

Wegner holds the all-time TWTSTWS single-game record. I wonder what he's doing...

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Didn't Bossard say a week or so ago, he was going to basically tent the field with heaters underneath to thaw it? Whatever. 2 weeks from now, I trust there will be a baseball game going on.

I thought the heaters were for the infield. I think the Sod-Father said he would put the heaters under the tarp. There is not a tarp for the outfield or warning track. So, I believe the issue/concerns are only in the outfield and specifically the warning track in RF. Regardless, the Sod-Father will get the field ready!

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
I met someone named Wegner recently

and had to do all possible to keep from laughing..but my eyes may have bulged momentarily

i partially wanted him to do something that i'd have to question. loudly

hahaha I would have lost it!

• 2 weeks later...