Tyler Flowers is your 2014 starting catcher

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
It's interesting the Sox are getting raves for their offseason and definitely better than the alternative, but keep in mind, Toronto won the offseason last year. These guys still have to play when it counts.

I believe if there was a post in September of last year that predicted Dunn, Konerko, Keppinger on the roster with Flowers and Paulino as starters and the Sox payroll at ~$85M this board would be up in arms.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
I believe if there was a post in September of last year that predicted Dunn, Konerko, Keppinger on the roster with Flowers and Paulino as starters and the Sox payroll at ~$85M this board would be up in arms.

The only thing people would have been upset about is Flowers. People, including me, want Dunn and Keppinger moved, but we realize the extreme difficulty in doing that and actually adding value to the team. I was upset about Konerko initially but ultimately that's a very small gripe. Paulino is a guy I would have been happy about and still am.

It's funny how you didn't mention Abreu, Eaton, Davidson, the pursuit and interest in Tanaka, Downs, Boggs, and Belisario.

(I can't believe I forgot Abreu out of all of them)

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
Eaton, Abreu, Davidson, L. Garcia and Avi are waving hello. Go ahead and wave back, its OK.

We'll see if that was a good return for Peavy, Santiago, Rios, and Reed. I know, but fangraphs says so.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
Weel see if that was a good return for Peavy, Santiago, Rios, and Reed. I know, but fangraphs says so.

The value of what they project to be and their talent level is sufficient. All prospects can flame out Marty. What would you have preferred they do, keep the same team that lost 99 games another year?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
The value of what they project to be and their talent level is sufficient. All prospects can flame out Marty. What would you have preferred they do, keep the same team that lost 99 games another year?

I cringed when I heard they were targeting "major league ready" prospects, but I thought that they were going to augment that by spending in free-agency. I didn't understand limiting the prospect pool to trade for and not spending money.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
I cringed when I heard they were targeting "major league ready" prospects, but I thought that they were going to augment that by spending in free-agency. I didn't understand limiting the prospect pool to trade for and not spending money.

Yeah, they only gave the biggest contract ever to an international player, then bid on the guy who beat that contract, plus put in a bid on McCann. They weren't looking to spend at all. Cheap bastards.

That's your fault. Hahn said from day one he wasn't spending on free agents that would cost the Sox a draft pick. You set yourself up for a let down with that line of thinking.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
That's your fault. Hahn said from day one he wasn't spending on free agents that would cost the Sox a draft pick. You set yourself up for a let down with that line of thinking.

If Marty enjoyed let downs anymore, he'd be a Cub fan.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)

Lol, "if there was a post that predicted only the negative things that happened, and ignored all of the positives, people would feel NEGATIVE!"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Yeah, they only gave the biggest contract ever to an international player, then bid on the guy who beat that contract, plus put in a bid on McCann. They weren't looking to spend at all. Cheap bastards.

Haha seriously. THEY SIGNED THE LARGEST INTERNATIONAL FREE AGENT CONTRACT IN HISTORY

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)

Honestly, I think if the Sox win the World Series this year, Marty will find a way to be disappointed in how it was done.

"Oh, you guys think that it we won it all just because FANGRAPHS lists us as the World Champions. Sure."

But they have also supplemented the major league ready talent with younger upside talent in the minors. If all these guys fail, we have other options that will be presenting themselves internally. We are going to get another pretty decent pitched in this draft along with who knows what else. In addition to that, payroll flexibility is a huge X-factor in being able to fill in the gaps when the team is competitive enough to warrant such a thing.

There is no award for being mediocre in baseball. If the Sox are not a legit threat to win the division, its OK to have a bumpy season as it allows the team to improve that much quicker in the draft. Washington is a good example, they had back to back #1 picks to add to their core player of Zimmerman than went out and supplemented the roster through trades and free agency to become a really solid team.

The Sox tried to spend money, they targeted McCann and Tanaka as potential difference makers and pursued them, but there is no reason to throw money around if there is not someone worth it, save that money to make a run at Headley next season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)

Haha, no kidding. I'm really starting to wonder. I completely understand why cub fans are pessimistic, kinda ingrained in their DNA for the last hundred years or so. The cubs started their rebuild before the Sox and yet the Sox are further along in theirs.

I'm going to send Hahn an email and remind him that he forgot to turn on the force trade option. Then we can easily wave goodbye to the likes of Dunn, Keppinger etc for whomever the hell we want and win it all this year! I'll be right back.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
But they have also supplemented the major league ready talent with younger upside talent in the minors. If all these guys fail, we have other options that will be presenting themselves internally. We are going to get another pretty decent pitched in this draft along with who knows what else. In addition to that, payroll flexibility is a huge X-factor in being able to fill in the gaps when the team is competitive enough to warrant such a thing.

There is no award for being mediocre in baseball. If the Sox are not a legit threat to win the division, its OK to have a bumpy season as it allows the team to improve that much quicker in the draft. Washington is a good example, they had back to back #1 picks to add to their core player of Zimmerman than went out and supplemented the roster through trades and free agency to become a really solid team.

The Sox tried to spend money, they targeted McCann and Tanaka as potential difference makers and pursued them, but there is no reason to throw money around if there is not someone worth it, save that money to make a run at Headley next season.

Which is why limiting the prospect options to Major League ready ones made me cringe. I disagree that we have players after this group that will be options. If these guys fail, Sale has to go on the market. Off season of 2015 will they be good enough to keep Sale?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
Which is why limiting the prospect options to Major League ready ones made me cringe. I disagree that we have players after this group that will be options. If these guys fail, Sale has to go on the market. Off season of 2015 will they be good enough to keep Sale?

It's about infusing talent at all levels. They increased international spending for the super young, they are drafting smarter (and higher =\ ) than ever before for the 18 to 22 year olds, and they are making trades to acquire controllable ML pieces.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
It's about infusing talent at all levels. They increased international spending for the super young, they are drafting smarter (and higher =\ ) than ever before for the 18 to 22 year olds, and they are making trades to acquire controllable ML pieces.

If that were the case why did they specifically target Major League ready prospects. The point of taking a lesser prospect because they are closer to the majors is to shorten the rebuilding process. If they were going to cut ~$35M in payroll they should have just targeted the best prospects period.