3/19 Roster Moves

cabiness42

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Prior to today’s game vs. the Angels, the Chicago White Sox made the following six roster moves:

· Optioned C Josh Phegley, RHP Andre Rienzo and LHP Eric Surkamp to Class AAA Charlotte;

· Reassigned RHP Chris Beck, INF Andy Wilkins and RHP Cody Winiarski to minor-league camp.

With the moves, the White Sox have 38 players remaining in major-league camp: 17 pitchers, three catchers, 12 infielders and six outfielders.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I still find it unlikely Nieto makes it to Chicago next weekend.

There's just no point in keeping Giminez if they think Nieto has any upside at all. Giminez is a nice role player, but his type is readily available every year.

Methinks it'll be Nieto.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
There's just no point in keeping Giminez if they think Nieto has any upside at all. Giminez is a nice role player, but his type is readily available every year.

Methinks it'll be Nieto.

It could be Nieto, but I think it's more likely they're trying to just keep him in the system and send him to AA. He hasn't played above A-ball.

We shall see, but I'll go Gimenez for now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
It could be Nieto, but I think it's more likely they're trying to just keep him in the system and send him to AA. He hasn't played above A-ball.

We shall see, but I'll go Gimenez for now.

Who are you DFA'ing or 60-day DLing then?

I'm 99.9% sure it's Nieto at this point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
Who are you DFA'ing or 60-day DLing then?

I'm 99.9% sure it's Nieto at this point.

A trade is still possible (maybe De Aza) that could open up a 40-man spot. They could release Boggs. They could DFA Molina. Cleto is out of options.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
According to fangraphs, the Sox have the worst catching situation in baseball.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-positi...nkings-catcher/

I thought it was quite obvious. Danks is the perfect 4th outfielder right now. Need to trade De Aza/Viciedo. Preferably De Aza.

Phegley's D and pitcher handling was said to be pretty bad, and Josh even acknowledged that today. He needs to play every day if they think he has a shot to be a player in the majors some day.

I wonder how much of this is Hahn playing chicken with Washington. Nieto making the roster and staying for a year would be a very surprising thing, and frankly I don't think it helps his development overall. If Gimenez looks like he can handle it, it should be his job. I'm also a little surprised Miguel Gonzalez is out of camp already.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
Wow, I'm pretty surprised. I guess that means Nieto is the second catcher barring a trade or signing. I guess it could be Gimenez, but I doubt it. He was on the opening day roster last year though IIRC.

What's the logic in sending down Phegley before Gimenez?

They want Phegley to go play everyday at Charlotte to see if he develops. They don't care if Gimenez rots on the bench.

I don't see the upside in hiding Nieto on the bench if he isn't ready to play at the top level.. So what if it means you get to keep him. Next year he would be a guy who has barely played above A ball with a wasted year at the major league level. Doesn't sound like a guy who you could say without sounding crazy is a breakout candidate.

I still think the Sox work out some sort of deal for him, and put him in Birmingham where he belongs.