3/19 Roster Moves

cabiness42

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
Who could possibly disagree? Tyler Flowers. End of conversation.

Yes, but this is taking all the catchers into consideration. They are only 1 WAR or so from being in the middle of the pack however. Catching isn't so great league-wide.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
I don't see the upside in hiding Nieto on the bench if he isn't ready to play at the top level.. So what if it means you get to keep him. Next year he would be a guy who has barely played above A ball with a wasted year at the major league level. Doesn't sound like a guy who you could say without sounding crazy is a breakout candidate.

I still think the Sox work out some sort of deal for him, and put him in Birmingham where he belongs.

Keeping a potential starting catcher in the organization without having to pay the price to bring another one in here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Keeping a potential starting catcher in the organization without having to pay the price to bring another one in here.

But if he isn't ready to be a starting catcher now, how is playing once a week having your ass handed to you, going to make you a starting catcher candidate next year?

You are hindering his development and cementing his status as a Giminez type of player. One you can sign any winter.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)

If that is the plan, and since they have to know his chances of being ready to start this year are near zero... I will admit it is a novel approach. Catchers need more time to develop (typically), especially in pitcher handling and game control, as well as defense. Often they spend a year just before he majors being on a major league bench getting that exposure. It is possible HahnCo are looking to do this backwards - give him that year now, then send him to AA or AAA in 2015 to get more reps (unless by some miracle he looks major-league starter ready as a hitter in 2014).

I just doubt that is Plan A. I really still think they picked him up to get a $25k look at the guy, with a slim chance he may actually work out, but more likely they try to trade for keeping him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't see the upside in hiding Nieto on the bench if he isn't ready to play at the top level.. So what if it means you get to keep him. Next year he would be a guy who has barely played above A ball with a wasted year at the major league level. Doesn't sound like a guy who you could say without sounding crazy is a breakout candidate.

I still think the Sox work out some sort of deal for him, and put him in Birmingham where he belongs.

Yeah, I think that's the best idea. But if the Nats aren't willing to play nice, demanding more than the Sox are willing to deliver, I can see the Sox keeping him on the roster as long as possible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
But if he isn't ready to be a starting catcher now, how is playing once a week having your ass handed to you, going to make you a starting catcher candidate next year?

You are hindering his development and making him a Giminez type of player. One you can sign any winter.

Keeping him in the organization is the plan. He may not be a starting catcher next year, but keeping him around is what is important. For the guy that lives off of one off exceptions, Johan Santana spent a year hiding in the Twins pen as a rarely used reliever and rarer starter. He spent time in the minors even 2 years after that before becoming an established pitcher at the major league level.

If you think he is a future starter, you do what you need to do to keep him in the system.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
Yeah, I think that's the best idea. But if the Nats aren't willing to play nice, demanding more than the Sox are willing to deliver, I can see the Sox keeping him on the roster as long as possible.

Rizzo's been a d*** before, so who knows?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Keeping him in the organization is the plan. He may not be a starting catcher next year, but keeping him around is what is important. For the guy that lives off of one off exceptions, Johan Santana spent a year hiding in the Twins pen as a rarely used reliever and rarer starter. He spent time in the minors even 2 years after that before becoming an established pitcher at the major league level.

If you think he is a future starter, you do what you need to do to keep him in the system.

They changed the rule 5 rules since Santana was selected, and really there has been nobody worth a darn in these things for years. Putting Adrian Nieto on the roster, thus probably increasing the workload for Flowers, which probably makes him worse, and considering pitchers rely on their catchers for a lot, is a dumb idea if Nieto isn't a really good player.

Santana was 21 when he came to the Twins. Nieto is 24. You can hide pitchers a lot better than catchers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
It's Adrian Nieto, either way, it most likely is no big deal.

Probably not. But if there's not a deal between the Sox and Nats in the days leading up to the season, it would make sense that they have been unable to reach a consensus.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
They changed the rule 5 rules since Santana was selected, and really there has been nobody worth a darn in these things for years. Putting Adrian Nieto on the roster, thus probably increasing the workload for Flowers, which probably makes him worse, and considering pitchers rely on their catchers for a lot, is a dumb idea if Nieto isn't a really good player.

Santana was 21 when he came to the Twins. Nieto is 24. You can hide pitchers a lot better than catchers.

Odds are he ends up as nothing, or close to it. If The Sox think they have a future starting catcher, they should do what they can to keep him. They have been looking for a starting catcher for years now. Even if poor Tyler has to play 120-130 games this year, big deal. In the grand scheme of things, you are evaluating Flowers as well. If he doesn't have the moxie to be an everyday catcher, it isn't a bad thing to learn that in a year where you have no expectations. It buys you another year to evaluate Nieto and Phegley. It also buys you another year to look for a guy outside of the organization if need be.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
Wow, I'm pretty surprised. I guess that means Nieto is the second catcher barring a trade or signing. I guess it could be Gimenez, but I doubt it. He was on the opening day roster last year though IIRC.

What's the logic in sending down Phegley before Gimenez?

Get him to work with the AAA pitchers. He still has a MLB future in front of him and might as well be working towards that. Gimenez is 31 and will either be the backup if a trade can be worked out or likely removed from the roster altogether.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Odds are he ends up as nothing, or close to it. If The Sox think they have a future starting catcher, they should do what they can to keep him. They have been looking for a starting catcher for years now. Even if poor Tyler has to play 120-130 games this year, big deal. In the grand scheme of things, you are evaluating Flowers as well. If he doesn't have the moxie to be an everyday catcher, it isn't a bad thing to learn that in a year where you have no expectations. It buys you another year to evaluate Nieto and Phegley. It also buys you another year to look for a guy outside of the organization if need be.

If the Sox think they have a future starting catcher, they should work out a trade with Washington and put Nieto in AA giving him the best and fastest chance to become the starting catcher. It's not like he would cost their top 5 prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
If the Sox think they have a future starting catcher, they should work out a trade with Washington and put Nieto in AA giving him the best and fastest chance to become the starting catcher. It's not like he would cost their top 5 prospects.

Since that has worked so well in the past...

I'm thinking Chris Bassitt is the right value point for a trade for Nieto. Just my random guess. Teens-ranked pitching prospect with some success at AA, looks likely to be at least a middle reliever, more likely a late inning reliever, could possibly be a back end starter. Less ceiling than Nieto in value, but pitching and catching are king and the Nats clearly don't need the catcher here. Possibly Myles Jaye, or maybe if the Sox are stretching to get Nieto, Jake Petricka could be intriguing for them.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
So who of the remaining 38 players are on the bubble?

13 of them.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

It was summed up nicely earlier. Assuming those who are hurting end up healthy, there aren't really many question marks. Bench is De Aza, Keppinger, Konerko, and either Gimenez or Nieto. Last bullpen slots to Veal, and either Cleto or Webb.

If there are lingering injuries (Beckham, relievers), guys like L Garcia, Semien, Petricka all have a shot.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
So who of the remaining 38 players are on the bubble?

The rotation is set. So nobody is on the bubble there.

Bullpen locks if healthy--Lindstrom, Belisario, Veal, Downs, and Jones (yes, Veal is a lock)

Bubble: Axelrod, Cleto, Boggs, Webb, and Petricka.

Putnam and Purcey will get cut.

I'm thinking Axelrod stays as a long reliever, and Cleto stays because he's out of options. Boggs is the wild card. He may just be let go, since his agreement with the Sox was that he had to make the 25-man.

Webb and Petricka will get sent down, but we'll see them before too long.

Position--right now, no room for Davidson, Micah Johnson, Liddi, Jordan Danks, or Tekotte. But a trade could open something up for Danks.

Keppinger's injury probably means Leury Garcia goes north. Beckham's injury could help Semien make it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
The rotation is set. So nobody is on the bubble there.

Bullpen locks if healthy--Lindstrom, Belisario, Veal, Downs, and Jones (yes, Veal is a lock)

Bubble: Axelrod, Cleto, Boggs, Webb, and Petricka.

Putnam and Purcey will get cut.

I'm thinking Axelrod stays as a long reliever, and Cleto stays because he's out of options. Boggs is the wild card. He may just be let go, since his agreement with the Sox was that he had to make the 25-man.

Webb and Petricka will get sent down, but we'll see them before too long.

Position--right now, no room for Davidson, Micah Johnson, Liddi, Jordan Danks, or Tekotte. But a trade could open something up for Danks.

Keppinger's injury probably means Leury Garcia goes north. Beckham's injury could help Semien make it.

This seems about right. Best case scenario would be a bench of Konerko, Catcher, Danks, and Leury Garcia with De Aza and Keppinger traded. Wishful thinking at best though. Sounds to me like Nieto will be on the team as well. Couple of pieces today written about how good of a game caller he is.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
This seems about right. Best case scenario would be a bench of Konerko, Catcher, Danks, and Leury Garcia with De Aza and Keppinger traded. Wishful thinking at best though. Sounds to me like Nieto will be on the team as well. Couple of pieces today written about how good of a game caller he is.

With Abreau the heir apparent to Paulie K it doesn't look like Andy Wilkins has or ever had much of a chance at first. We have went through all the 3rd basemen tryouts; then why hasn't Andy been given his chance at 3rd? Is he a liability there ? I think he might be the best hitter at that position now.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
With Abreau the heir apparent to Paulie K it doesn't look like Andy Wilkins has or ever had much of a chance at first. We have went through all the 3rd basemen tryouts; then why hasn't Andy been given his chance at 3rd? Is he a liability there ? I think he might be the best hitter at that position now.

Guys get moved to 1B from 3B at a young age because they are terrible defensively. He'd likely be as bad as Braun at 3B if he were to be played there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Guys get moved to 1B from 3B at a young age because they are terrible defensively. He'd likely be as bad as Braun at 3B if he were to be played there.

Yeah, Wilkins was a bit of a mess at 3B from what I read back then. Same thing has happened to Ravelo. If either could play third, that is where they'd be.

That said, Konerko and Dunn are gone in a year at most, so if Wilkins rakes in Charlotte, it is not impossible he has a shot at the team in 2015. Possibly even late 2014 if Dunn is traded mid-season.