Jacob Turner

Y2Jimmy0

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Multiple outlets are reporting that the Marlins are talking about trading RHP Jacob Turner due to their pitching depth. Would anyone here deal Viciedo for Turner? Turner is arbitration eligible in 2015 and doesn't hit free agency until 2018. The Diamondbacks are one team linked to Turner in talks with the Fish.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Multiple outlets are reporting that the Marlins are talking about trading RHP Jacob Turner due to their pitching depth. Would anyone here deal Viciedo for Turner? Turner is arbitration eligible in 2015 and doesn't hit free agency until 2018. The Diamondbacks are one team linked to Turner in talks with the Fish.

:lol: Who is anyone referring to? If its anyone except the White Sox, the answer is no.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
If Turner is top tier talent, the White Sox do not have enough to trade for him without creating another hole.

But the Marlins do not have leverage. If they don't want him on the major league roster, they'll lose him for absolutely nothing if they don't trade him. More than likely, teams will be willing to give up more than the Sox, but we don't know that yet. If your options are Dayan Viciedo or nothing, you are taking Dayan Viciedo.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
But the Marlins do not have leverage. If they don't want him on the major league roster, they'll lose him for absolutely nothing if they don't trade him. More than likely, teams will be willing to give up more than the Sox, but we don't know that yet. If your options are Dayan Viciedo or nothing, you are taking Dayan Viciedo.

Odds are they get Gregorious for him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)

I think we know they get a better offer than Viciedo.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Odds are they get Gregorious for him.

That would make sense for them.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
I think we know they get a better offer than Viciedo.

I'm sure they will. This changes nothing from what I've said to you on this topic.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
That would make sense for them.

I'm sure they will. This changes nothing from what I've said to you on this topic.

Just a point that when it comes to the ability to acquire top tier talent the Sox should not be in the conversation unless they put Sale on the block.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
Just a point that when it comes to the ability to acquire top tier talent the Sox should not be in the conversation unless they put Sale on the block.

They also acquired Avisail, Eaton, and Davidson without giving up key long term cogs too, and I'd say those guys are all top tier talent too. The Sox have plenty of resources to acquire this top tier talent.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)

Lets be careful what we call top tier talent than. Turner has a lot of upside, but there is a reason that the Marlins have him on the block instead of their other young SP's. His K/BB and WHIP aren't great and his numbers are aided by playing in the park and division he does. Turner is not even table stakes for Sale, the bidding would start with Fernandez. Viciedo is probably not enough based on fit, but the Sox have other guys that would fit the bill.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Lets be careful what we call top tier talent than. Turner has a lot of upside, but there is a reason that the Marlins have him on the block instead of their other young SP's. His K/BB and WHIP aren't great and his numbers are aided by playing in the park and division he does. Turner is not even table stakes for Sale, the bidding would start with Fernandez. Viciedo is probably not enough based on fit, but the Sox have other guys that would fit the bill.

This is pretty much my mindset too.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)

I agree. Wite labeled Turner top tier talent. As far as if the Sox have enough to trade for him, they probably do, but at least 20 others probably do as well and those teams are better positioned to absorb giving up that kind of talent for Turner.

It's also worth mentioning that Turner is arbitration eligible next year and out of options and he doesn't turn 23 until May 21st. He's incredibly young and there's plenty of room for him to still grow into his body and increase his velocity. On top of that, he throws a ton of ground balls, throws four pretty effective pitches, and he's ready to increase his innings total.

I'm using top tier talent as a generality - he's a guy that can be a 2 or 3 in the rotation, but I would never consider him in the same class as a Gerrit Cole - but he could certainly be a valuable piece of a team and would absolutely be worth a stash as a long man and spot starter, even to the point of being worth a Viciedo. You are right in that some team may offer more or something more valuable to the Marlins, but it never hurts checking in.

What about Viciedo and either Sanchez or Johnson for Turner and like say a lower level prospect? I know the Marlins have Hech at short already (who is essentially their own version of Gregorious but I think they may be thin at second (Furcal is slated to start their for their team this season).