Jacob Turner

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
That would make sense for them.

I'm sure they will. This changes nothing from what I've said to you on this topic.

Wasn't Hechevarria or whatever his name the top prospect (and a SS) that the Blue Jays gave up in that huge trade for all of their pitchers?

The Marlins have already given up on him because of his bat?

Edited by caulfield12

Turner had a 1.44 WHIP last year and a mediocre K rate. That's a top prospect? And did I read elite? Now way do I trade Johnson for him. Maybe Sanchez, but I wouldn't do it. We have surplus in the middle infield - use it wisely, like, perhaps, to trade for a nice catching prospect.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
Turner had a 1.44 WHIP last year and a mediocre K rate. That's a top prospect? And did I read elite? Now way do I trade Johnson for him. Maybe Sanchez, but I wouldn't do it. We have surplus in the middle infield - use it wisely, like, perhaps, to trade for a nice catching prospect.

You might be able to get him for Semien and Micah Johnson, but maybe not.

No way Carlos Sanchez alone attracts much interest from the Marlins.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)

Mind you, he did that as a 22 year old.

Definitely worth a flier at the right price. Mariners need another OF to go with Yelich and Stanton until Marisnic is ready and depth in the bullpen. A De Aza+Petricka package may work for them. The just signed Garret Jones to man 1B, so I am not sure they are going to be willing to trade for a replacement already.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
Definitely worth a flier at the right price. Mariners need another OF to go with Yelich and Stanton until Marisnic is ready and depth in the bullpen. A De Aza+Petricka package may work for them. The just signed Garret Jones to man 1B, so I am not sure they are going to be willing to trade for a replacement already.

Why would Petricka be worth anything to them?

I'm not even convinced they'd trade Turner for Semien and Micah Johnson. Would anything they've done in the last two years suggest they would want to take on DeAza's contract?

The fact that they let him go for nothing...would point to the fact that there's no way they're going to be embarassed a second time and pay through the teeth to bring him back when he's no longer a cheap option.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Mind you, he did that as a 22 year old.

But a 22 year old who is in his 3rd stint in the majors. He's not pitching like a stud, so you don't pay that kind of price, imo. Boras client; near arb eligibile. That's certainly not who I would look for for Semien or Johnson - their value figures to go up a lot this season anyway.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
Why would Petricka be worth anything to them?

I'm not even convinced they'd trade Turner for Semien and Micah Johnson. Would anything they've done in the last two years suggest they would want to take on DeAza's contract?

The fact that they let him go for nothing...would point to the fact that there's no way they're going to be embarassed a second time and pay through the teeth to bring him back when he's no longer a cheap option.

I dont think it is the same FO staff that let him walk, and when he left he was coming off of some significant injuries and no one was sure if he could still be a ML player.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
But a 22 year old who is in his 3rd stint in the majors. He's not pitching like a stud, so you don't pay that kind of price, imo. Boras client; near arb eligibile. That's certainly not who I would look for for Semien or Johnson - their value figures to go up a lot this season anyway.

Pitching is always worth more than middle infielders...unless those MI's are 1) Gold Glovers, 2) capable of putting up 20+ homers or 3) going to steal 70-100 bases.

Let's just put it this way. Billy Hamilton is ranked what, 64th, as a top prospect? Micah Johnson doesn't have nearly that type of burst, and it's likely his SB numbers will fall quite a bit from here on out. Nobody has ever characterized him as a burner. In fact, Avisail Garcia supposedly is just as fast to 1B. And the jury's far from back in about how well he profiles defensively at 2B or LF/CF.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)

He hasn't even thrown 200 innings at the major league level. For Christ's sake, he threw 12.2 innings in 2011.

Yeah, if I can get him for Viciedo (another Boras client, mind you), you bet your sweet ass I'm going to make that trade every day.

Twins have placed Vance Worley on waivers. This guy was just good what, 2 years ago? He's still young and can be a Coop project. How about Alejandro De Aza for Worley and 1-2 lower level prospects?

If he's on waivers, why would the Sox give up anything to get him?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
If he's on waivers, why would the Sox give up anything to get him?

Well, in my scenario they are mostly getting him as a throw-in hope for the best move. The two prospects is where the real value comes to the Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Pitching is always worth more than middle infielders...unless those MI's are 1) Gold Glovers, 2) capable of putting up 20+ homers or 3) going to steal 70-100 bases.

Let's just put it this way. Billy Hamilton is ranked what, 64th, as a top prospect? Micah Johnson doesn't have nearly that type of burst, and it's likely his SB numbers will fall quite a bit from here on out. Nobody has ever characterized him as a burner. In fact, Avisail Garcia supposedly is just as fast to 1B. And the jury's far from back in about how well he profiles defensively at 2B or LF/CF.

If an 80 speed rating doesn't describe a burner, I'm not sure what does. That's Callis' take.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y20...=mm_mlb_players

Hamilton's one of the fastest ever. Micah may well be the better hitter.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
He hasn't even thrown 200 innings at the major league level. For Christ's sake, he threw 12.2 innings in 2011.

Yeah, if I can get him for Viciedo (another Boras client, mind you), you bet your sweet ass I'm going to make that trade every day.

I'm not saying he's not any good. I'm still looking for how he's stud with a low K rate and high WHIP. Viciedo, fine. But I'm not for trading our prospects at this time. And these prospects are developing nicely. Dumping them is foolish.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
If an 80 speed rating doesn't describe a burner, I'm not sure what does. That's Callis' take.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y20...=mm_mlb_players

Hamilton's one of the fastest ever. Micah may well be the better hitter.

I'm just going on everything I've read about him...and from those who have seen him play in person.

Their argument is that 75% of his basestealing success has based upon technique, which will be exploited as he gets to the upper levels of the minors or the majors leagues as they start to "game plan" against him. I would just estimate he's going to end up a 25-35 steals type of guy at the next level, which means his defense has to improve or he's going to hit with 725+ OPS pop to really be a difference maker if he can't stick at 2B.

The real question with Semien, Sanchez and Johnson is whether any of them are going to be legit everyday players. They all project to be better than Leury Garcia, but you don't have a surefire major league All-Star unless you could combine the attributes of all four of those guys.

Johnson had a breakout start to 2013 by stealing bases at a mind-blowing rate. His unusual basestealing technique, which involves a walking leadoff, helped him steal 61 bases in 80 attempts in 77 games with Kannapolis in the first half of 2013. Lost in the hysteria around those numbers was the fact that he also hit .342 with a .419 on-base percentage and 34 extra base hits. It's impossible to nitpick the actual production, but he was 22 in Low-A. His July promotion to High-A Winston-Salem set him on a better track in terms of playing at an age appropriate level. Johnson's stolen bases are more a product of his ability to read pitchers and get good jumps than having top line speed. Johnson has good speed, but not the staggering plus-plus speed that typically goes with gaudy stolen base numbers. The key to his future will be his defense. He had 21 errors with the Intimidators, which isn't necessarily a red flag but something to watch as he progresses through the minors.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/micah-johnson/

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)
The real question with Semien, Sanchez and Johnson is whether any of them are going to be legit everyday players. They all project to be better than Leury Garcia, but you don't have a surefire major league All-Star unless you could combine the attributes of all four of those guys.

Johnson had a breakout start to 2013 by stealing bases at a mind-blowing rate. His unusual basestealing technique, which involves a walking leadoff, helped him steal 61 bases in 80 attempts in 77 games with Kannapolis in the first half of 2013. Lost in the hysteria around those numbers was the fact that he also hit .342 with a .419 on-base percentage and 34 extra base hits. It's impossible to nitpick the actual production, but he was 22 in Low-A. His July promotion to High-A Winston-Salem set him on a better track in terms of playing at an age appropriate level. Johnson's stolen bases are more a product of his ability to read pitchers and get good jumps than having top line speed. Johnson has good speed, but not the staggering plus-plus speed that typically goes with gaudy stolen base numbers. The key to his future will be his defense. He had 21 errors with the Intimidators, which isn't necessarily a red flag but something to watch as he progresses through the minors.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/micah-johnson/

To the bolded, yep that's the $64K question. Micah's speed gives him the highest ceiling, unless Semien shows the OBP skills he had at B'Ham. Micah's defensive ?'s likely give him the lowest floor, but he's acquitted himself rather well in this area during ST.

If Johnson hits well enough, he'll be an impact player with his speed. His technique will likely evolve in the higher levels, and in MLB. Won't hazard a guess on how many SB he'll get annually, but lack of speed is not an issue.

BTW, have you seen him run this spring? He flies. Whoever thinks Avi is as fast to 1st needs to get their stopwatch checked, and yeah I read something along those lines too. I think it's bunk.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 06:41 AM)
To the bolded, yep that's the $64K question. Micah's speed gives him the highest ceiling, unless Semien shows the OBP skills he had at B'Ham. Micah's defensive ?'s likely give him the lowest floor, but he's acquitted himself rather well in this area during ST.

If Johnson hits well enough, he'll be an impact player with his speed. His technique will likely evolve in the higher levels, and in MLB. Won't hazard a guess on how many SB he'll get annually, but lack of speed is not an issue.

BTW, have you seen him run this spring? He flies. Whoever thinks Avi is as fast to 1st needs to get their stopwatch checked, and yeah I read something along those lines too. I think it's bunk.

It was probably Bo Jackson.