The Official 2014 Opening Day thread

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Yeah it's dumb. If Viciedo is part of the White Sox future I believe that he should be starting as well.

100% agree. Extremely worried Robin will go with the straight platoon in LF, which would pretty much destroy any value Dayan has left. Hope that isn't the case, but when you see Conor batting third it's easy to question Robin's judgement.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Mauer kills everyone.

Willingham has a career .639 OPS against us in 209 PAs.

Colabello has a .981 OPS in 27 PAs against us.

Plouffe has a career .575 OPS against us in 137 PAs.

Arcia played well against us last year.

Hicks has a .188 BA against us. He hit two homers in the one game. Otherwise he has sucked.

I'm definitely remembering the game where he hit and robbed a couple homers. I'm taking defense into account too BTW

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
I really don't mind it. I'm glad Dunn isn't hitting 3 anymore. If anything, like others have said, put De Aza in that 3 hole.

The guy had a .305 obp last year with a .695 OPS. Adam Dunn would make 100% more sense (.320/.762). Anyone would make more sense than Conor f***ing Gillaspie.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
The guy had a .305 obp last year with a .695 OPS. Adam Dunn would make 100% more sense (.320/.762). Anyone would make more sense than Conor f***ing Gillaspie.

^

Connor can bat third if he's legitimately the hottest hand, but that's it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)

I thought Abreu was just going to be the everyday 3-hole hitter, but we'll see what happens today. Could be a year where there's 130 different lineups.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
I thought Abreu was just going to be the everyday 3-hole hitter, but we'll see what happens today. Could be a year where there's 130 different lineups.

The first lineup of the year should never have had Gillaspie as the 3-hitter.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Gillaspie was decent against RHP last year, so maybe that's what they are going with.

Still not good that the 3 hitter is just ok.

Right but who is the starter at 3rd against LHP then? They don't have anyone to put there. Gillaspie starting every day will be a nightmare. His platoon splits are really bad. In 368 PA's vs RHP Gillaspie had a .738 OPS with 12 homers. Against LHP in 66 PAs, Gillaspie had a .451 OPS. Obviously a small sample, but I don't need to see any more Conor Gillaspie at bats vs a LHP.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
Anyone who boos Dunn during intros or before his first AB is an idiot, and a bad fan.

My gosh, people, booing him would be such trashiness. I despise Adam Dunn, but on Opening Day? Do you realize how f***ing cold it was in Chicago this past winter? How much snow there was and ice??

Opening Day is a day of cheering the Chicago White Sox. Yes we may lose 99 games again, but today it's a fresh start.

Only a complete f***ing moron would boo Adam Dunn on Opening Day. And that comes from an Adam Dunn hater.

Today is a fresh start. If you are a Sox fan you have to believe Adam Dunn is about to have a great final season in a Sox uniform. For one day at least, he should be cheered loudly.

It is Opening Day!! The best day of the calendar year (when it's not a rainout).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
Right but who is the starter at 3rd against LHP then? They don't have anyone to put there. Gillaspie starting every day will be a nightmare. His platoon splits are really bad. In 368 PA's vs RHP Gillaspie had a .738 OPS with 12 homers. Against LHP in 66 PAs, Gillaspie had a .451 OPS. Obviously a small sample, but I don't need to see any more Conor Gillaspie at bats vs a LHP.

Eventually it'll be Jeff Keppinger.

Just to make this connection...this lineup is a really good example of why I disliked this roster construction so much.

We're playing the "win now" guy in LF and benching the guy we need to develop because of RH/LH matchups.

We're spending a roster spot on a guy to give him his last hurrah and he's not playing on opening day.

We're playing 2 "win now", lefty-righty matchup guys to try to win the game, and then throwing out a completely inadequate #3 hitter who has his replacement already procured.

We constructed a roster full of starters who need time to develop and a long-time tribute guy, then threw in a couple "win this game today" platoon guys and suddenly we're playing the win-now guys because gotta win the game.

Just a great example of why I complained so much about the roster construction.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
Just to make this connection...this lineup is a really good example of why I disliked this roster construction so much.

1) We're playing the "win now" guy in LF and benching the guy we need to develop because of RH/LH matchups.

2) We're spending a roster spot on a guy to give him his last hurrah and he's not playing on opening day.

3) We're playing 2 "win now", lefty-righty matchup guys to try to win the game, and then throwing out a completely inadequate #3 hitter who has his replacement already procured.

4) We constructed a roster full of starters who need time to develop and a long-time tribute guy, then threw in a couple "win this game today" platoon guys and suddenly we're playing the win-now guys because gotta win the game.

Just a great example of why I complained so much about the roster construction.

1) You also want to show case and play him so you can get fair value. If you don't play him, he won't stay sharp.

2) Ventura wanted to start Konerko. Konerko asked to be held out of the lineup.

3) Conor Gillaspie put up a .261/.324/.414/.738 line last year against righites, and Ventura obviously feels that a guy who makes better contact is suited for that spot.

4) The Sox are 0-0. They are trying to win the game every day. Until it's readily apparent in real life that they are out of the race, they are in the race.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
1) You also want to show case and play him so you can get fair value. If you don't play him, he won't stay sharp.

2) Ventura wanted to start Konerko. Konerko asked to be held out of the lineup.

3) Conor Gillaspie put up a .261/.324/.414/.738 line last year against righites, and Ventura obviously feels that a guy who makes better contact is suited for that spot.

4) The Sox are 0-0. They are trying to win the game every day. Until it's readily apparent in real life that they are out of the race, they are in the race.

1. So what happens to the guy we're actually trying to develop? He sits on the bench too, doesn't stay sharp, and then we wind up cutting him loose next year when his arb cost goes up?

2. All sorts of problems with that. Why's he even there if he's not going to play in games like this? Why's he making lineup decisions?

3. And that line is supposed to impress? It's tolerable as a back of the lineup/platoon guy, but that slash line would be among the bottom of the league in slash lines out of the 3 spot. The MLB average in 2013 out of the 3 slot was a .799 OPS.

4. Then they should have put a roster together to act like it. Instead they're carrying a guy as a tribute and another guy who shouldn't be above AA ball, and they have so little confidence in the rest of their lineup that they have a platoon 3b who put up a .734 OPS against righties last year batting 3rd.