Sox claim Javy Guerra

kevo880

This taken from Dodgers website

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- In what shapes up to be an unforgettable bullpen for the Dodgers, Javy Guerra is the forgotten man.

In 2011, he inherited the closer role from an injured Jonathan Broxton and had 21 saves. He came to Spring Training in 2012 as the closer, but had three injuries and two operations and lost the job to Kenley Jansen. In 2013, he made only nine Major League appearances.

In 2014, he's out of options and up against it as far as making a Dodgers bullpen again headed by Jansen, with former All-Star closers Brian Wilson, Chris Perez and Brandon League setting up. Lefties J.P. Howell and Paco Rodriguez are followed by long man Jamey Wright. If Josh Beckett is healthy, Paul Maholm will pitch relief. There doesn't even seem to be room for Chris Withrow, who was dominant at times down the stretch.

Meanwhile, Guerra either makes the Opening Day roster or can be lost on waivers. He said he's healthy and ready to win a job, regardless of the numbers.

"I understand who's in front of me," he said. "I'm competing for one spot with a lot of guys. The best will win. I hit it hard in the offseason. If I'm healthy, I can help the big league club. I can see myself being here. Mentally, I know I can perform."

Last year Guerra was asked to try starting at Triple-A Albuquerque, but that didn't work any better.

"Mentally, I didn't think the right way," he said. "I didn't understand why. It was a tough mental adjustment. Getting sent down was the defining moment of the season. Now I'm relieving again and comfortable. I've let it be known I'm serious in what I'm trying to accomplish. They realize I've grown up."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
I feel like we hear this every year..

What do want from any Sox player? I know we all want a .400 average with booku homers etc but realistically what would make fans happy?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
What do want from any Sox player? I know we all want a .400 average with booku homers etc but realistically what would make fans happy?

Him not stinking up the batters box every year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
I can't imagine the Sox go with just one lefty, especially since Downs has looked pretty shaky.

The bullpen is definitely a weakness, or at least a concern, going into opening day.

Veal being the 2nd LHP in pen tells me we really have 1 in Downs right now. I do not have any faith in Veal at all.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
Veal being the 2nd LHP in pen tells me we really have 1 in Downs right now. I do not have any faith in Veal at all.

Veal was great in 2012 and his last several appearances, from the beginning of August on last year where lights out. Cooper was talking about him the other day, raving.

Edited by Dick Allen

Classic "change of scenery" guy.

Hasn't been the same since he was hit with a liner in 2012.

Has health issues.

Sinker/slider guy will fit nicely with the Hahn-era bullpen philosophy.

As a Dodgers fan, i am sad to see him go for nothing. As a Sox fan, I am glad to see him here for nothing!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
Gotta hope that Semien can take the job and run with it for a while.

At this point in time I would like to see Semien as our super sub guy. He can play three infield positions. He has a high ceiling I think. Keppinger was injured granted but I think he is expendable. Beckham haters can hate all they want but Gordo is an excellent 2Bman. He has gold glove potential and will contribute with the bat

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
At this point in time I would like to see Semien as our super sub guy. He can play three infield positions. He has a high ceiling I think. Keppinger was injured granted but I think he is expendable. Beckham haters can hate all they want but Gordo is an excellent 2Bman. He has gold glove potential and will contribute with the bat

No. Marcus Semien should get >500 PA's this year. If some of those are at the big league level great, but him getting 300-ish PA's as a backup while Beckham and Ramirez take most of the time would be an utter, utter failure.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)

Marcus Semien will never be the super sub guy unless it's down the stretch in a pennant race. He is far too talented and his development would be stunted if he was a super sub guy.

I know you think that Gordon Beckham is suddenly going to figure out how to be a great baseball player after 5 seasons and close to 2500 plate appearances, but I choose to call a spade a spade at this juncture. Beckham is a mediocre 2B who is not going to be in the organization next year, so I feel they may as well run with Semien. Instead - and I have no problem with this - they will use Semien to start the year, roll with Beckham once he gets healthy, and they will attempt to trade him for a bag of balls shortly thereafter.

And no, Gordon Beckham is not an excellent 2B. He does not have gold glove potential and he is not very good with the bat. Hawk may tell you otherwise, but common sense, numbers, and my own eyes tell me he is not very good. He seems like a cool dude though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
No. Marcus Semien should get >500 PA's this year. If some of those are at the big league level great, but him getting 300-ish PA's as a backup while Beckham and Ramirez take most of the time would be an utter, utter failure.

Agree. If it's a sub we need, that should be L Garcia and Marcus in the minors.

Re Guerra, his spring stats don't look too sporty. I assume they've been able to scout him pretty well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
It's pretty feasible that Semien takes the spot while Bacon is out rehabbing. The org has thought about the transition.

They were talking about Beckham playing in Birmingham next week for a couple games and coming off the DL on April 5th, which he can, because it's retroactive.

4 games isn't a lot of time to steal a guy's spot. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Semien be the regular 2B, but I'm expecting Beckham bought himself a few more months in Chicago.

I guess the next question is, who goes down when Beckham comes off the DL? Leury is more versatile, but Semien can probably still play 3 times a week.