White Sox vs Cubs 2 PM CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
He seems to have the same problem as Soriano did/does. Can not lay off a slider on the outer 3rd of the plate. That last AB was just sad to watch as Villanueva went to that pitch every time and Avi couldn't help himself.

Every young hitter has that problem.

And if Felipe Paulino is Jon Garland then that's very good news.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
So it's March 27th and we already hate half the players?

I don't "hate" Avi, he performed well last season in his limited time here, but I am just not sure if it will carry over now that it seems they have the scouting report on him that he can't lay off pitches low and away. It is almost sad. I wonder how he hit .370 in AAA to be honest. He just doesn't seem like he has a clue at the plate. Beckham had a very promising rookie season, but he faded after that and I feel that the same thing might happen to Avi Garcia.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I wonder how he hit .370 in AAA to be honest. He just doesn't seem like he has a clue at the plate.

The age is something to keep in mind -- and the fact that he's been young at every level he's played in. What you should be excited about is that the .370 in AAA and the Sox '13 performance are recent signs of change. He's young enough still where that matters.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
Couldn't have said it any better myself. I wonder sometimes if plate discipline is something that can be learned or not. I am leaning toward the latter. Can you guys think of anyone in baseball who was a free swinger and then "figured it out?" If one either has it or doesn't, then Avi just doesn't. Which makes me wonder what Hahn saw in him to make him a centerpiece in the Peavy trade. The guy oozes tools, I know, but what good is raw power when a) he doesn't put it in play that often, and b) when he does, he puts it on the ground?

Jose Reyes is the one guy who comes to mind who came up swinging as often or more often than Viciedo and then turned himself into an effective (not spectacular but effective) count-worker who took a good number of walks and got on base. If you glance through his stats you can clearly see it, he walks more, swings at fewer pitches, swings at fewer first pitches, sees more 2-0/3-1 counts, etc.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
So Hawks call to arms this year will be "Set the tone by running hard to first" because old guys did it, that's why

I'd call that an improvement if it happened, but I have zero confidence that the team will actually listen. They'll follow the team leader who does not.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
This Webb may have to go down for a while to make room for this pitcher we picked up on waivers, but he's going to be good.

I very much agree with that, but I also think he might well benefit from some time in AAA. Best fastball I've seen at AA hands down though.