Final roster moves

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
White Sox reassign C Hector Gimenez, INF Micah Johnson, INF Alex Liddi, RHP Zach Putnam, LHP David Purcey, OF Blake Tekotte to minors camp

Can't believe superstar Alex Liddi couldn't make it.

Liddi would be the perfect Jeff Keppinger (with a bit more pop and the ability to play OF) if we didn't already have Keppinger.

They probably prefer Garcia's defensive ability and baserunning skills.

Yet another example of the effect of Paul Konerko on the roster possibilities.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
Liddi would be the perfect Jeff Keppinger (with a bit more pop and the ability to play OF) if we didn't already have Keppinger.

I'm pretty positive he was being sarcastic. Liddi has no business being in the big leagues.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 09:41 PM)
I'm pretty positive he was being sarcastic. Liddi has no business being in the big leagues.

But those are actually the kind of versatile veteran bench players we need.

I'd rather have him than Keppinger, at least. And he would make the minumum salary.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)

I think he is the best RH hitter the Sox have for a pinch hitter. He is alot better than any of the others.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)

I'd rather have him than Keppinger, at least. And he would make the minumum salary.

Liddi is a guy who would have had to of forced his way onto the team, after batting just .192 he just didn't do that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
I think he is the best RH hitter the Sox have for a pinch hitter. He is alot better than any of the others.

It's going to be really interesting to see if he can still maintain his bat speed and rhythm as a hitter playing only 2-3 times per week at age 38.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)

A major league team needs players like Alex Liddi? Try again. He has one tool, power. Strikes out more frequently than Adam Dunn. Doesn't walk and defensively, although you can put him in at several positions, he doesn't play them well.

I have seen guys have hard ons for some mediocre players, but to think Liddi has even in the slightest way shown he belongs on a major league roster or taking it farther and saying he is the type of player the team needs is about as ridiculous as your claim Alexei is an old 31 because of what he was doing when he was 13.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
It's going to be really interesting to see if he can still maintain his bat speed and rhythm as a hitter playing only 2-3 times per week at age 38.

I agree. He is a feel hitter. It may help at his age to play sparingly but he may also lose that touch.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
A major league team needs players like Alex Liddi? Try again. He has one tool, power. Strikes out more frequently than Adam Dunn. Doesn't walk and defensively, although you can put him in at several positions, he doesn't play them well.

Sounds like Flowers. He strikes out more than Dunn and he doesn't walk much either. Can Liddi catch........................................

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 11:51 PM)

The good news is, the White Sox have an overwhelmingly LH hitting lineup, so a RH pinch hitting option is going to be desperately needed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
The good news is, the White Sox have an overwhelmingly LH hitting lineup, so a RH pinch hitting option is going to be desperately needed.

As I stated months ago, the odd man out with Konerko coming back is Jordan Danks. Is Jordan Danks better off playing every day in Charlotte or being the 5th OF in Chicago?

Konerko and his .900+OPS takes Dunn's spot vs. LHP. Whine all you want about it, but it isn't weakening the team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
As I stated months ago, the odd man out with Konerko coming back is Jordan Danks. Is Jordan Danks better off playing every day in Charlotte or being the 5th OF in Chicago?

Konerko and his .900+OPS takes Dunn's spot vs. LHP. Whine all you want about it, but it isn't weakening the team.

His .900+ .ops vs LHP for 300 at bats should lead the White Sox to 72-75 wins.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
His .900+ .ops vs LHP for 300 at bats should lead the White Sox to 72-75 wins.

(Just to point out, he got 113 PA's last year against LHP with both 1b and DH available. He did miss a portion of the year, but that's only going to get him to 150 PA's if you scale up. If he's getting 300 PA's, he's taking 150 PA's against RHP, and if you scale his performance last year that gives an overall .750-ish OPS).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
(Just to point out, he got 113 PA's last year against LHP with both 1b and DH available. He did miss a portion of the year, but that's only going to get him to 150 PA's if you scale up. If he's getting 300 PA's, he's taking 150 PA's against RHP, and if you scale his performance last year that gives an overall .750-ish OPS).

You are preaching to the choir, man. He will be overused and he will be bad. Robin doesn't use Gillaspie properly so there is no way that Konerko will be used properly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)

Balta, I got to ask, what the hell is with the posts in parentheses?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 03:00 AM)

The Sox showed their respect for Paul Konerko, which I think is laudable and appropriate. We should too and I think Konerko still helps this team. What the Sox have done is something more teams should be doing with veterans, who have contributed so much to the organization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)

Exactly. Well said.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)

Agree. The only downside to him being here is a thinner bench. As far as taking away time from young players, that isn't the case.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 07:05 AM)

I have seen guys have hard ons for some mediocre players, but to think Liddi has even in the slightest way shown he belongs on a major league roster or taking it farther and saying he is the type of player the team needs is about as ridiculous as your claim Alexei is an old 31 because of what he was doing when he was 13.

You don't think players who play year round in the Dominican, Cuba, Venezuela, etc., don't take more physical abuse, especially speed-based players like a Pods or Chone Figgins who take even more hits to their bodies from all those stolen base attempts and diving on the ground in the infield (as opposed to outfielders)?

Or a catcher (or running back), whose career timeline is almost always 2-3 years shorter than the average player.

It's the exact same idea as those arguing against Tanaka or Dice K because of the extremely high pitch counts they've been exposed to since they were younger...the number of pitches thrown in-between starts because of the rigorous Japanese training regimen, etc.

Yes, I'll argue that Tanaka is more like a 28-30 year old pitcher, if not older, and that he's definitely going to break down in the first four years of his deal and have to undergo surgery. Also, he relies more on torque/movement than having elite velocity (like Darvish), so there's another red flag to consider.

Edited by caulfield12