Final roster moves

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
Agree. The only downside to him being here is a thinner bench. As far as taking away time from young players, that isn't the case.

This is the American League. The sox do not need to do alot of double-switches like the National League. One extra MI and OF is enough. PK will help the team by being their best hitter off the bench.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
FWIW, keep in mind that Japanese pitchers only pitch every 7 days

Yes, but they often have hellacious "simulation" outings in-between...some throwing almost every day.

Dice K was a perfect example. Maybe they've changed that since he broke down, but one of the major concerns with Tanaka has always been the wear and tear on his arm/shoulder.

We'll see.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 09:44 PM)
Yes, but they often have hellacious "simulation" outings in-between...some throwing almost every day.

Dice K was a perfect example. Maybe they've changed that since he broke down, but one of the major concerns with Tanaka has always been the wear and tear on his arm/shoulder.

We'll see.

This is accurate. They believe in keeping the arm warm all the time. They throw every day just about.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
I liked Tanaka because of the wear and tear. He's used to it. We just have a tendency to think its bad because our player aren't used to that.

And I don't think of it as wear and tear. The sox got a great eval on his health.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
I liked Tanaka because of the wear and tear. He's used to it. We just have a tendency to think its bad because our player aren't used to that.

Just because he has pitched a lot of innings is not necessarily wear and tear.

It all depends on his shoulder and how his body deals with the mechanics of pitching.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 12:13 AM)
Just because he has pitched a lot of innings is not necessarily wear and tear.

It all depends on his shoulder and how his body deals with the mechanics of pitching.

The medical report was very positive. Indicative of his age. One of the many reasons the sox loved him.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 12:49 AM)
Hope so. The little bit I've seen he's looked fine.

I've heard nothing but ideas on how to move Beckham out of the way. They were close a few months ago. I thought he was gone, I even pm'ed that to a few folks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
I've heard nothing but ideas on how to move Beckham out of the way. They were close a few months ago. I thought he was gone, I even pm'ed that to a few folks.

I just hope Semien takes the job. Any idea on Beckhams value if any?

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 12:12 AM)
I just hope Semien takes the job. Any idea on Beckhams value if any?

Probably the equivalent of another Leury Garcia, a Top 8-12 prospect in another organization....especially like the Rangers, that are desperate for a competent veteran 2B for half the season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:25 AM)
Maybe a future pen arm from what I hear. High upside no control.

Just as soon wait it out and see if we can do better. We don't know what Semien will do in the majors and Beckham actually improved some last year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:54 AM)
Just as soon wait it out and see if we can do better. We don't know what Semien will do in the majors and Beckham actually improved some last year.

There were a lot of conversations about him. I was shocked he wasn't dealt before spring training. They talked about him more than Hector.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
You don't think players who play year round in the Dominican, Cuba, Venezuela, etc., don't take more physical abuse, especially speed-based players like a Pods or Chone Figgins who take even more hits to their bodies from all those stolen base attempts and diving on the ground in the infield (as opposed to outfielders)?

Or a catcher (or running back), whose career timeline is almost always 2-3 years shorter than the average player.

It's the exact same idea as those arguing against Tanaka or Dice K because of the extremely high pitch counts they've been exposed to since they were younger...the number of pitches thrown in-between starts because of the rigorous Japanese training regimen, etc.

Yes, I'll argue that Tanaka is more like a 28-30 year old pitcher, if not older, and that he's definitely going to break down in the first four years of his deal and have to undergo surgery. Also, he relies more on torque/movement than having elite velocity (like Darvish), so there's another red flag to consider.

Kids in warm weather in the USA play all year as opposed to those in cold weather climates who don't play half the year. It doesn't make them an old 31.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 05:28 AM)
Kids in warm weather in the USA play all year as opposed to those in cold weather climates who don't play half the year. It doesn't make them an old 31.

They're not pushed from the age of 14-16 like those kids in the "baseball factories" in Latin America.

And those kids play all day long, after pretty much being forced to drop out of school. It is their job, and the future of their family, at stake.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
They're not pushed from the age of 14-16 like those kids in the "baseball factories" in Latin America.

And those kids play all day long, after pretty much being forced to drop out of school. It is their job, and the future of their family, at stake.

Do you have any links showing the abuse 13 year old baseball players take in Cuba? Baseball isn't a grueling sport anyway. When I was a kid I played everyday of every summer from 9 AM until my mom called me in for dinner, and then went out and played until it was dark. I am sure there are many here that did the same thing, let's not get so dramatic and say playing baseball at 13 all day makes Alexei and old 31. The only thing that would make him an old 31 is if he, like some other Cubans, is actually older than advertised. I would think verifying a Cuban's age is pretty difficult.

And if you don't think American kids are pushed by adults trying to live the dream, you aren't paying attention.

Edited by Dick Allen