Konerko wants no special treatment, start on O.D.

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
Derek Jeter is a first ballot HOFer who has multiple WS rings and was the captain of the Yankees for years. He has conducted himself with nothing but class. The hatred he gets is beyond confusing to me. He is exactly what you would want your sports heroes to be.

Spot-on "yes."

Considering the entire package (keep it clean, boys), Jeter has been a "one of the very best of his generation" style players. Would have loved him to be the 20+ year heart, soul, captain, and SS on my team in a heartbeat.

I think the so-called "hatred" starts because people tire of the unflagging NY bias of NY fans, exacerbated by the infuriating overall East Coast bias of ESPN. As great as Jeter is, no player, he included, is without warts. For example, despite "The Play," all those Gold Gloves and pretending that he's much more than a competent defensive SS is just silly. Treating him like some sort of God rather than simply what he is -- a great player -- can get tiresome for those who don't drink that particular kool-aid.

Paulie Konerko? Our #14? One of the franchise's best overall players, a really good hitter for a really long time, and an incredible asset for our beloved team. I love the guy.

But his overall situation, nationally and within the history of baseball, is very different from Jeter.

Derek Jeter is a first ballot HOFer who has multiple WS rings and was the captain of the Yankees for years. He has conducted himself with nothing but class. The hatred he gets is beyond confusing to me. He is exactly what you would want your sports heroes to be.

This is perfect.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)

Just because you're a great player doesn't mean you can't also be overrated and lauded to nauseating levels. The hate for him is mostly derived from the excessive media fawning. The fact that he is "captain of the Yankees" also means absolutely nothing. No one outside of Yankee fans should care about that

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 02:07 AM)
But Jeter is a starter, Konerko is a bench player. I just hope he wasn't implying Konerko should get the attention Jeter is going to get.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 07:33 AM)
Jeter shouldn't even get the attention Jeter is going to get.

Not what I was implying, however I strongly agree with the above quote.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
Spot-on "yes."

Considering the entire package (keep it clean, boys), Jeter has been a "one of the very best of his generation" style players. Would have loved him to be the 20+ year heart, soul, captain, and SS on my team in a heartbeat.

I think the so-called "hatred" starts because people tire of the unflagging NY bias of NY fans, exacerbated by the infuriating overall East Coast bias of ESPN. As great as Jeter is, no player, he included, is without warts. For example, despite "The Play," all those Gold Gloves and pretending that he's much more than a competent defensive SS is just silly. Treating him like some sort of God rather than simply what he is -- a great player -- can get tiresome for those who don't drink that particular kool-aid.

Paulie Konerko? Our #14? One of the franchise's best overall players, a really good hitter for a really long time, and an incredible asset for our beloved team. I love the guy.

But his overall situation, nationally and within the history of baseball, is very different from Jeter.

I just think people should look beyond the ESPN bias and realize he was a great player for a long time on perhaps the most difficult stage. He also came up big when it mattered, and didn't let any of it go to his head. He always called Joe Torre, Mr. Torre. He is a credit to the game. If he were a White Sox, we would all be proud he was one. Same with every fanbase of every team.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
Spot-on "yes."

Especially when you consider the dbag playing 3B next to him...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 06:54 AM)

Ditto. He's one of the greatest Yankees to ever play the game and has had one of the most storied baseball careers of all time. Numbers are pretty incredible to boot and he has never had any issues in the clubhouse / off the field. I have mad respect for how Jeter has handled himself and I don't know that any professional athlete can say they had such a storied career (1 franchise; the captain; multiple world series championships; key plays in the post-season; 3000 hits).

...and he got hot chicks.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Just because you're a great player doesn't mean you can't also be overrated and lauded to nauseating levels. The hate for him is mostly derived from the excessive media fawning. The fact that he is "captain of the Yankees" also means absolutely nothing. No one outside of Yankee fans should care about that

I agree. It's going to happen, so that's where the remote control comes in handy.

yep.

Perhaps because they have so many dicks on the team people get confused? And I say that with only a small teaspoon of sarcasm.

Yup.

Jeter is a first ballot HOFer.

THAT SAID: There are two reasons that I don't think he is as "classy" as everyone gives him credit for:

1. His refusal to move off of SS as he aged. If the team needs you to move, a "classy" guy moves.

2. The public hissy fit he put up about his last contract. No one owes you money for your past. He was coming off a garbage season and was offered a better deal from the NYY than any other team.

So I tend to play a strong devil's advocate role when he comes up, not because I think he's a bad guy, but because I'm not seeing this whole "greatest ambassador of teh game evarr" crap. Guys like Jim Thome deserve that, not Jeter.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
But Jeter is a starter, Konerko is a bench player. I just hope he wasn't implying Konerko should get the attention Jeter is going to get.

Geez, tough crowd. In the great city of Chicago, Konerko should get all the attention in the world. He and Buehrle are my favorite Sox of all time.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Jeter is a first ballot HOFer.

THAT SAID: There are two reasons that I don't think he is as "classy" as everyone gives him credit for:

1. His refusal to move off of SS as he aged. If the team needs you to move, a "classy" guy moves.

2. The public hissy fit he put up about his last contract. No one owes you money for your past. He was coming off a garbage season and was offered a better deal from the NYY than any other team.

So I tend to play a strong devil's advocate role when he comes up, not because I think he's a bad guy, but because I'm not seeing this whole "greatest ambassador of teh game evarr" crap. Guys like Jim Thome deserve that, not Jeter.

He never refused to move. He was never asked.

"The idea's never come up from anyone in the organization," Jeter said at a retirement news conference Wednesday that he refused to call, you know, a retirement news conference.

Actually, Jeter himself brought up a position change seven years ago in a trainer's room conversation with Gene Michael, telling the longtime executive that he wanted to play another 10 seasons and would be willing to switch to first base or designated hitter to do it. Michael was among the team officials in attendance at the news conference and among the many in Yankeedom thrilled that Jeter, 39, would finish his career right where it started, right where he always belonged.

And the contract he signed seems fairly reasonable. I am assuming it was the one signed previously.

e's guaranteed $15 million in 2011, $16 million in 2012, and $17 million in 2013. In each of those three seasons, the Yankees will hold back $2 million in interest free money. In the 2014 season, his income depends on his achievements the first three years, and the 2014 season. In 2014, his base salary is $8 million, of which $6 million is the deferred money from the 2011-2013 seasons. He can earn extra based on the following incentives:

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Geez, tough crowd. In the great city of Chicago, Konerko should get all the attention in the world. He and Buehrle are my favorite Sox of all time.

Neither of those two want the limelight.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
He never refused to move. He was never asked.

"The idea's never come up from anyone in the organization," Jeter said at a retirement news conference Wednesday that he refused to call, you know, a retirement news conference.

Actually, Jeter himself brought up a position change seven years ago in a trainer's room conversation with Gene Michael, telling the longtime executive that he wanted to play another 10 seasons and would be willing to switch to first base or designated hitter to do it. Michael was among the team officials in attendance at the news conference and among the many in Yankeedom thrilled that Jeter, 39, would finish his career right where it started, right where he always belonged.

And the contract he signed seems fairly reasonable. I am assuming it was the one signed previously.

e's guaranteed $15 million in 2011, $16 million in 2012, and $17 million in 2013. In each of those three seasons, the Yankees will hold back $2 million in interest free money. In the 2014 season, his income depends on his achievements the first three years, and the 2014 season. In 2014, his base salary is $8 million, of which $6 million is the deferred money from the 2011-2013 seasons. He can earn extra based on the following incentives:

Not being privy to the actual truth, I can just say that I've read dozens of times over the years that there was real heat in the clubhouse when they acquired Alex Rodriguez. After Googling around a bit, though, the only things I see are random bloggers and commenters referring to his "refusal to move," which causes me to doubt its veracity for the first time. If that was all a media hoax or hearsay, then I stand corrected.

As for the contract -- I don't have a problem with 3/45 at all. But Jeter absolutely did:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2...=blogs&_r=0

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...es.jeter.close/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/sports/b...l/24kepner.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...rticle-1.454099