Konerko wants no special treatment, start on O.D.

caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)
Not being privy to the actual truth, I can just say that I've read dozens of times over the years that there was real heat in the clubhouse when they acquired Alex Rodriguez. After Googling around a bit, though, the only things I see are random bloggers and commenters referring to his "refusal to move," which causes me to doubt its veracity for the first time. If that was all a media hoax or hearsay, then I stand corrected.

As for the contract -- I don't have a problem with 3/45 at all. But Jeter absolutely did:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2...=blogs&_r=0

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...es.jeter.close/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/sports/b...l/24kepner.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...rticle-1.454099

I read the SI article you linked and it seems Jeter said nothing publicly about his contract. Maybe his agent did and the Yankees, but he certainly did not.

There is nothing in these links that makes Jeter look like a money grubbing athlete. There is not one quote from Jeter whining about his contract.

If you have a problem with Jeter and that negotiation, there probably are very few players you don't have a problem with. Many negotiations become nasty, but for some reason this one became public, and I don't think that was Jeter's idea.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 07:04 AM)
I read the SI article you linked and it seems Jeter said nothing publicly about his contract. Maybe his agent did and the Yankees, but he certainly did not.

Yeah, I don't remember Jeter ever saying anything publicly until after the process, when he expressed his frustration that the situation was so public. The public voice was all Close and Cashman.

But that doesn't change the fact that he was "offended" at the contract offer and held the line on it all the way into actual free agency before caving. I'm not claiming he cried to the media, I'm just claiming he busted the Yankees' balls over what was, in reality, a generous contract offer simply because he felt he was owed high-end money for his past. It just seems childish and greedy to me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 07:04 AM)
If you have a problem with Jeter and that negotiation, there probably are very few players you don't have a problem with. Many negotiations become nasty, but for some reason this one became public, and I don't think that was Jeter's idea.

Certainly. But none of those other guys are being heralded as legendary "ambassadors for the game" and considered flawless role models.

I mean, my favorite player ever is Frank Thomas, and let's be honest, he's always been an egotistical asshole. But no one ever tried to say he wasn't, you know?

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
Certainly. But none of those other guys are being heralded as legendary "ambassadors for the game" and considered flawless role models.

I mean, my favorite player ever is Frank Thomas, and let's be honest, he's always been an egotistical asshole. But no one ever tried to say he wasn't, you know?

Plenty of people have said he isn't. The thing is, I don't know how you can rip Jeter for being flawed and use that negotiation of his contract and an example where A. he didn't negotiate the contract, his agent did. and B. There were absolutely no quotes of Jeter whining.

What is he supposed to do, just tell his agent to accept whatever the Yankees offer?

Here is a quote from his agent about the Yankees taking things public:

There's a reason the Yankees themselves have stated Derek Jeter is their modern-day Babe Ruth. Derek's significance to the team is much more than just stats. And yet, the Yankees' negotiating strategy remains baffling."

Then Close said: "They continue to argue their points in the press and refuse to acknowledge Derek's total contribution to their franchise."

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
Plenty of people have said he isn't. The thing is, I don't know how you can rip Jeter for being flawed and use that negotiation of his contract and an example where A. he didn't negotiate the contract, his agent did. and B. There were absolutely no quotes of Jeter whining.

What is he supposed to do, just tell his agent to accept whatever the Yankees offer?

Here is a quote from his agent about the Yankees taking things public:

There's a reason the Yankees themselves have stated Derek Jeter is their modern-day Babe Ruth. Derek's significance to the team is much more than just stats. And yet, the Yankees' negotiating strategy remains baffling."

Then Close said: "They continue to argue their points in the press and refuse to acknowledge Derek's total contribution to their franchise."

It was a fiasco. He's the only player in history to have dragged a $50m+ extension into free agency and end up eventually re-signing with the team offering the extension prior to free agency. It doesn't make him evil, but it does make him a greedy athlete like all the rest, not a beacon of justice.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
It was a fiasco. He's the only player in history to have dragged a $50m+ extension into free agency and end up eventually re-signing with the team offering the extension prior to free agency. It doesn't make him evil, but it does make him a greedy athlete like all the rest, not a beacon of justice.

But Jeter himself stayed out of it, unlike Frank Thomas who moaned about the contract with a diminished skills clause that he signed.

And it was the Yankees that took it public and made it a so-called fiasco.

But you are a 100% saber guy and it's Derek Jeter so haters gonna hate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
But Jeter himself stayed out of it, unlike Frank Thomas who moaned about the contract with a diminished skills clause that he signed.

And it was the Yankees that took it public and made it a so-called fiasco.

But you are a 100% saber guy and it's Derek Jeter so haters gonna hate.

LOL

1. Jeter is overrated as an example of untarnished "class" among baseball players

2. ???

3. JETER SUCKS SABR RULES HATERS GON HATE

You're such a f***ing troll

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
Calling Konerko a bench player is not "tough." That's a matter of fact.

I will say, I am not sure if those watching on TV could hear but, when De Aza was coming up in the 8th the fans started a mini "Paulie, Paulie" chant that I thought was pretty cool. The move would have made too little baseball sense though.

That's funny. Wouldn't that be awesome if DeAza is the real deal, kind of like a Granderson clone (in his good days)?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Umm Frank Thomas.

Yeah, I must admit Frank is one of my favorites as well.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 10:36 PM)
I was surprised that Ventura didn't pinch hit in the bottom of the 8th when the Twins brought in the LHP. Figured it woulda been a perfect time to get Paulie out there for opening day.

That would have forced Dunn or Viciedo to the outfield in the 9th of a two run game. Say what you want about De Aza's defense, but he is way better than the other two.