Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
Why didn't the White Sox try to have a giveaway? I'm guessing they probably have fewer giveaway days because of the difficulties finding sponsorships and commitments (for 3 years) at the levels they want.

20. Toronto

21. Pittsburgh

22. Seattle

23. Oakland

28. Tampa Bay

More than those teams, it's telling that Miami and Houston are significantly outdrawing the Sox. With how entertaining this White Sox team has been, compared to the Lastros, it's just kind of hard to believe. And Miami is one of the most expensive parks now, according to Fan Price Index/Team Marketing Report.

Of course, the Mariners brought in Cano, but surely their fans shouldn't have been realistically expecting them to compete with the Rangers, Angels and A's this season. In fact, had the White Sox made the same move, 95% of this site would have been rebelling against it....at those years and dollars.

As I have posted before, the White Sox major problem is they don't sell enough coprorate season tickets. I don't mean coprorate boxes which the major companies buy, but blocks of grandstand seats usually 4+. The companies then give them out to customers employees etc. I bet teams like Boston, New York, LA etc have 15-20, 000 seats sold to businesses.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 12, 2014 -> 07:00 AM)
As I have posted before, the White Sox major problem is they don't sell enough coprorate season tickets. I don't mean coprorate boxes which the major companies buy, but blocks of grandstand seats usually 4+. The companies then give them out to customers employees etc. I bet teams like Boston, New York, LA etc have 15-20, 000 seats sold to businesses.

Evidence/support?

Or supposition? Sure, it's logical. We all know lots of corporations that have used the 2008 financial crisis as an excuse to cut back on sponsorsorships, season ticket packages for entertaining clients/customers as well as corporate donations to charities/non-profits, but why has the effect been so demonstrative in Cleveland and Chicago, but not, say, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincy or Detroit?

It's not because that money is flowing in the direction of the Cubs.

So is the main reason/excuse going to be the success of the Blackhawks attracting all those dollars instead...that success attracts success and the money/sponsorship flows that go with it?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 12, 2014 -> 04:16 AM)
Another big part of it is "America's Team" being in the same city.

I thought Murricans liked winners ? Honestly the last time I heard about America's team in baseball it was the Braves and if not them then its the Yankees. I knew Sox fans had inferiority complexes but really ? The Cubs ? America's team ? f*** that. Oh hell no.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

In 2005, when the team was never not in first place, on May 5th, they drew 15k. This team is coming off a 99 loss season, the weather has been terrible. It isn't that complicated why they aren't drawing. If they continue to play well when the weather is nice and school is out, then maybe try to make this complicated. Right now, it is not.

I will say, there have been several games this season they haven't been checking tickets for getting into the 100 level, if that matters to anyone.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 12, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)
I thought Murricans liked winners ? Honestly the last time I heard about America's team in baseball it was the Braves and if not them then its the Yankees. I knew Sox fans had inferiority complexes but really ? The Cubs ? America's team ? f*** that. Oh hell no.

Trying to steal the title from the Dallas Cowboys, lol.

I think this whole America's team comes from a marketing angle WGN was using. Just because you call or refer to yourself as something doesn't make it so. Or maybe it was "WGN....America's Network"?

I agree....the idea in the 80's that Ted Turner tried to instill "America's Team" as the Braves even though that dream apparently ended up him selling the team.

And you can't even call the Cubs the "Midwest's Team" anymore because of how dominant the Cardinals brand has becomes these days.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 12, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)
In 2005, when the team was never not in first place, on May 5th, they drew 15k. This team is coming off a 99 loss season, the weather has been terrible. It isn't that complicated why they aren't drawing. If they continue to play well when the weather is nice and school is out, then maybe try to make this complicated. Right now, it is not.

I will say, there have been several games this season they haven't been checking tickets for getting into the 100 level, if that matters to anyone.

That was a Tuesday/Wed/Thurs weekday series (I didn't check to see if Thursday was a day game or not) against the boring Royals.

You should have used the 12,000+ crowds on Tues/Wed to make your case.

However, we're talking a Sunday/Mother's Day/decent weather game yesterday.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
Why didn't the White Sox try to have a giveaway? I'm guessing they probably have fewer giveaway days because of the difficulties finding sponsorships and commitments (for 3 years) at the levels they want.

20. Toronto

21. Pittsburgh

22. Seattle

23. Oakland

28. Tampa Bay

More than those teams, it's telling that Miami and Houston are significantly outdrawing the Sox. With how entertaining this White Sox team has been, compared to the Lastros, it's just kind of hard to believe. And Miami is one of the most expensive parks now, according to Fan Price Index/Team Marketing Report.

Of course, the Mariners brought in Cano, but surely their fans shouldn't have been realistically expecting them to compete with the Rangers, Angels and A's this season. In fact, had the White Sox made the same move, 95% of this site would have been rebelling against it....at those years and dollars.

Their "giveaways" are tickets and parking. $5 seats and $10 parking means $30 for a family of four to drive to a game.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Evidence/support?

Or supposition? Sure, it's logical. We all know lots of corporations that have used the 2008 financial crisis as an excuse to cut back on sponsorsorships, season ticket packages for entertaining clients/customers as well as corporate donations to charities/non-profits, but why has the effect been so demonstrative in Cleveland and Chicago, but not, say, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincy or Detroit?

It's not because that money is flowing in the direction of the Cubs.

So is the main reason/excuse going to be the success of the Blackhawks attracting all those dollars instead...that success attracts success and the money/sponsorship flows that go with it?

Seeing how much advertising has gone away, (remember the Bacardi Club?) I think it is pretty logical that companies have cut back on tickets as well. I would say it is counter-intuitive to think any other way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
Their "giveaways" are tickets and parking. $5 seats and $10 parking means $30 for a family of four to drive to a game.

Another thing I don't see from Sox marketing is the use of commercials like every homestand to promote the team, promote the promotions, promote the new players. Where's the commercials saying Abreu set rookie records for the month of April for HR's and ribbies ?How hard is it for a MLB team with a marketing department that surely has cameras and production people and voiceover people with an owner who owns 40 % of the station that broadcasts Sox games to throw together some 15 -20-30 second spots and repeatedly put them on air .

Marketing needs to get off their ass or get a bigger budget or something. Open the gates and let people in free late at one gate where there can be ample security checks. Have a fan appreciation day every month just with smaller prizes. How hard is it to brainstorm up a few ideas ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 12, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Another thing I don't see from Sox marketing is the use of commercials like every homestand to promote the team, promote the promotions, promote the new players. Where's the commercials saying Abreu set rookie records for the month of April for HR's and ribbies ?How hard is it for a MLB with a marketing department that surely has cameras and production people and voiceover people with an owner who owns 40 % of the station that broadcasts Sox games to throw together some 15 -20-30 second spots and repeatedly put them on air .

Marketing needs to get off their ass or get a bigger budget or something. Open the gates and let people in free late at one gate where there can be ample security checks. Have a fan appreciation day every month just with smaller prizes. How hard is it to brainstorm up a few ideas ?

They made a congratulations commercial for his awards they have been airing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
They made a congratulations commercial for his awards they have been airing.

I haven't seen it on Comcast and I watch just about every game. Besides , really , a congratulations commercial ? I mean, yea , it's great to say thank you Jose but why say it over and over to him in a commercial ?

There's a growing disconnect between players and fans because of the huge money some of these guys make .The players don't need more accolades , the fans need accolades for spending their hard earned money to come to games or at the very least to be coddled , cajoled or convinced that it's rewarding to come see this team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 12, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
I haven't seen it on Comcast and I watch just about every game. Besides , really , a congratulations commercial ? I mean, yea , it's great to say thank you Jose but why say it over and over to him in a commercial ?

There's a growing disconnect between players and fans because of the huge money some of these guys make .The players don't need more accolades , the fans need accolades for spending their hard earned money to come to games or at the very least to be coddled , cajoled or convinced that it's rewarding to come see this team.

It has been on WGN, which is probably a better space to spend it.

I'm not sure a thank you fans is really a better use of money than letting fans know that this incredible new player has been setting records and getting them excited to go see him.

And really, the player salary thing again? I think people have gotten over that, this isn't the 90s anymore.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 12, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)

Didn't they air an hour long special on Abreu's April on CSN? And have replayed it numerous times?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
It has been on WGN, which is probably a better space to spend it.

I'm not sure a thank you fans is really a better use of money than letting fans know that this incredible new player has been setting records and getting them excited to go see him.

And really, the player salary thing again? I think people have gotten over that, this isn't the 90s anymore.

I did say promote the new players too you know but not by kissing the players ass . The Blackhawks do a great job saluting the fans every chance they get. I know that's sort of the what came first argument, the fan support or the good team, but nevertheless, the Hawks do it every chance they get. The team gathers at center ice at home after every victory to raise their sticks to the fans. Couldn't the Sox players just as easily raise their bats the same way ?

And yes it's not the 90's ,it's even worse now with labor being squeezed , the crash of 2008 wiping out half of peoples 401K's , gas prices hovering near $5 a gallon , and the constant growing gap between the haves and have nots.

Kiss the middle classes ass because to gets beaten down constantly every chance corporate America gets. You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 12, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
Didn't they air an hour long special on Abreu's April on CSN? And have replayed it numerous times?

It's going to take a lot more than that. Promote Sale , Eaton, PK's last year, show great plays, walk offs. There needs to be a steady constant stream of a combination of promoting the team and convincing , cajoling and bribing the fans into spending their money.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 12, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
I did say promote the new players too you know but not by kissing the players ass . The Blackhawks do a great job saluting the fans every chance they get. I know that's sort of the what came first argument, the fan support or the good team, but nevertheless, the Hawks do it every chance they get. The team gathers at center ice at home after every victory to raise their sticks to the fans. Couldn't the Sox players just as easily raise their bats the same way ?

And yes it's not the 90's ,it's even worse now with labor being squeezed , the crash of 2008 wiping out half of peoples 401K's , gas prices hovering near $5 a gallon , and the constant growing gap between the haves and have nots.

Kiss the middle classes ass because to gets beaten down constantly every chance corporate America gets. You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

Yeah, sure, so let's force players to make less so the billions of revenue teams are collecting can...go to the wealthy owners, got it.

And raising their bats?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
Yeah, sure, so let's force players to make less so the billions of revenue teams are collecting can...go to the wealthy owners, got it.

And raising their bats?

Hey don't put words in my mouth. I said I want money spent on promotion and rewarding the fans in some fashion . Sure I'm spitballing ideas. Haven't you ever watched a Blackhawks game where the players, after a game stand at center ice and raise their sticks pointing at the fans as a salute to them for their support ?

If you have better ideas throw them out there.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 12, 2014 -> 05:22 PM)
Hey don't put words in my mouth. I said I want money spent on promotion and rewarding the fans in some fashion . Sure I'm spitballing ideas. Haven't you ever watched a Blackhawks game where the players, after a game stand at center ice and raise their sticks pointing at the fans as a salute to them for their support ?

I have seen that. Have you seen in baseball where the players and field workers will throw balls to fans nearby, and often even sign autographs before games? That's pretty nice of them.

I don't know how to get fans in. I don't really care if fans come. I am excited about this team and will go to see them more this year. When I get to games I sometimes find out it's bobble head day and that's great. I feel like that promotion often just dictates when people show up to the games.

But if we want some wacky ideas to get fans to feel appreciated, how about there is a number on every baseball, and at end of night they pick a random number that was on one of the baseballs played that night. If that baseball happened to find it's way to a fan that night, they'll get a sports massage from Herm Schneider.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
I have seen that. Have you seen in baseball where the players and field workers will throw balls to fans nearby, and often even sign autographs before games? That's pretty nice of them.

I don't know how to get fans in. I don't really care if fans come. I am excited about this team and will go to see them more this year. When I get to games I sometimes find out it's bobble head day and that's great. I feel like that promotion often just dictates when people show up to the games.

But if we want some wacky ideas to get fans to feel appreciated, how about there is a number on every baseball, and at end of night they pick a random number that was on one of the baseballs played that night. If that baseball happened to find it's way to a fan that night, they'll get a sports massage from Herm Schneider.

I think that would be about as exciting as an oil massage from Ken Davitian of Borat fame.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 12, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)

Are you actually saying that the Hawks' box office success is directly related to their postgame fan salute?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)

Those are all very nice things and I hear players even visit hospitals and schools and do work in the community so yea I'm pretty well aware of things that go on around a team.

But with the Hawks you can tell it's all a very well orchestrated attempt to get it all on camera and in the interviews after the games you know the reporters are instructed to mention to the players " hey how about those fans ?" Last year on the Hawks website they gave away a lot of things, good things too.

My idea are not at all wacky. People have been let into games in the late inning for free many times in the past. Being nice to fans isn't wacky or more commercials promoting new players and stars isn't at all farfetched. I think it's wacky for you to not care if fans come to games unless you have a desire for the team to always be an afterthought in the city and around the nation or want to see the team moved to another city.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)

20. Toronto

21. Pittsburgh

22. Seattle

23. Oakland

28. Tampa Bay

sox had ladies bags the last 2 years. WITHOUT A SPONSOR ATTACHED.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 12, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Are you actually saying that the Hawks' box office success is directly related to their postgame fan salute?

Are you actually as stupid as that last question ? Damn either read everything I say or don't twist my words around. I said it's one of the many ways the Hawks show appreciation for the fans in a well run , well orchestrated marketing strategy.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 12, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
Are you actually as stupid as that last question ? Damn either read everything I say or don't twist my words around. I said it's one of the many ways the Hawks show appreciation for the fans in a well run , well orchestrated marketing strategy.

It all comes down to winning. The Hawks are winning. When they were not, they occassionally had tickets for FREE on ticketmaster.com, and still didn't have half the seats full.

The White Sox need to win consistently. It has to be where making the playoffs is the expectation year after year, not hoping to get in once every 5 or 6 season. Then, attendance will be fine.