Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
That's true. I don't go to that many games and it's usually on the weekend, so it doesn't bother me as much. I imagine that would get old trying to go to multiple weekday games.

You are right about the Chicago infrastructure problem, because the same can be said for the other stadiums in the city. If you want to drive to Wrigley, you have to drive through at least two miles in s***ty city traffic. The only way to get there via public transportation is downtown to the Red Line like for the Sox or the Metra from the NW Burbs, then the hellish packed #80 bus.

United Center is at least pretty close to 290 and 90, but it's several blocks from train stations or from downtown you have to take a nearly two mile bus ride.

And Soldier Field doesn't even deserve a comment.

Soldier Field is easy to get to. The metra drops you off at 18th street on the south end and 12th street on the north end. The Bears special train leaves 1/2 after the game ends.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Soldier Field is easy to get to. The metra drops you off at 18th street on the south end and 12th street on the north end. The Bears special train leaves 1/2 after the game ends.

Except if you live on the north side of the city. I live on the near north. Wrigley is closer, but the train to USCF and Wrigley is about a draw. Soldier Field is a pain.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)

I'm sure that's great if you live on that train line, but I live on the other side of town and the Millenium Station on the north end is a mile away from Ogilivie.

The stadiums aren't necessarily difficult to get to, they are just very time consuming because they require multiple modes of transportation.

Edited by LittleHurt05

For me its not about the prices, or even the product on the field. I just don't have time anymore until say August to go to any games. Between my sons travel baseball schedule and my daughters various activities ( gymnastics, dance, softball )there is no time at all. We love to go to Sox games and I used to have a ticket package I just have hit a point between me, my wife and my two kids schedules for activities that there is limited free time. Around August when the schedule opens up for a bit we will be at the park to see games. I personally find this team a hell of a lot more paletable than some of the teams we have had here in years. Exciting new players, rebuilding on the fly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
Except if you live on the north side of the city. I live on the near north. Wrigley is closer, but the train to USCF and Wrigley is about a draw. Soldier Field is a pain.

Well....that's what you get for being on the dark side come over to the light and everything is easier. :D

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
I'm sure that's great if you live on that train line, but I live on the other side of town and the Millenium Station on the north end is a mile away from Ogilivie.

The stadiums aren't necessarily difficult to get to, they are just very time consuming because they require multiple modes of transportation.

True. I do drive 20 min. to get to the metra, but just makes everything easier.

Thanks for chronicling the game attendances in this thread it's difficult information to find.

There was a post on this board earlier that summed up Sox attendance. It's going to be 1.6-1.7M this year, maybe a little more if they stay in the race and the weather is good.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 8, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
They can say 'tickets start at $7' all they want, but if I am going to the game, I want to SEE and enjoy the game, not get nosebleeds and a workout hiking up to my seat. I haven't had to buy tickets for a few years, so imagine my shock when we went to buy tickets for this Saturday against the Diamondbacks. They want $72 for lower bowl between 3rd and outfield wall. Go a little closer to the wall and it drops to $52. Bleachers $35. Still going, but to my cheap-ass it is pretty steep.

What do you want for $7? There are plenty of $7 seats in the first few rows by the way. Buy early and you won't have to hike.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 8, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
You can insert any team in that statement, even the Cubs. The Cubs have killed us based on the out of towners that were drawn in by the huge TV advantage the team had through most of the second half of the 20th Century. When my daughter lived in Lakeview we walked that area headng to restaurants and clubs, I have to say the neighborhoods around Wrigley offer more before and after game options.

I don't want to see it, but I really think a suburban stadium would have the team drawing 35,000 a game. Perhaps somewhere in Schaumburg close to all the trains and expressways, is there land near Arlington Park?

I still contend the site they wanted in Addison would have been a gold mine for the Sox.

I don't know how many of you remember where it was going to be, just off I-355 just south of I-290 and north of I-88.

No public transportation close but that doesn't seem to hurt the Angels of Anaheim.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 10, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
My 5th game tonight. What's your excuse, soxtalk?

Weather, price, location, Cubs, Blackhawks, Reinsdorf, White Flag, Sterling, pretty sunset, shiny things, Bears draft, Bears, Ditka, Sosa, Black Sox, Ribbie got screwed, Gage, Buehrle, price, Cleto, it smells funny, Bridgeport, bars, strippers, hookers, Marty, cost, price, MLB draft, Manziel, Frank Thomas, Ryan Isaac, Lost, Blackhawks, Chris Sale is hurt, Robin Ventura, Ozzie Guillen, Jerry Don Gleaton, Juan Agusto, Lamar Hoyt likes Cocaine, no roofshots, Charles Comiskey, white stockings, pink scarves, Bmac, Addison Reed, Texsox, Greg775, Kerry Woods, Cubs, The Bullpen Sports bar is expensive, Ursula, Andy Frain, Molto, tarps, Ragnar Lothbrook, Soxtalk is boring, Soxtalk is mean, Soxtalk is Soxtalky, FutureSox, PresentSox, PastSox, PresentParticipleSox, Socks, Mike Tyson, Weird Al Yankovic, Liberals, Conservatives, Citybythelake.org, Journey, hiddenballtricks, blackouts, whiteouts, pinkouts, pinky and the brain, Alex Snelius, Bill Veeck, Disco, RocknRoll, SoxnRolls, rap, disco, Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Wade Miley, MPG, Hondas...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
Weather, price, location, Cubs, Blackhawks, Reinsdorf, White Flag, Sterling, pretty sunset, shiny things, Bears draft, Bears, Ditka, Sosa, Black Sox, Ribbie got screwed, Gage, Buehrle, price, Cleto, it smells funny, Bridgeport, bars, strippers, hookers, Marty, cost, price, MLB draft, Manziel, Frank Thomas, Ryan Isaac, Lost, Blackhawks, Chris Sale is hurt, Robin Ventura, Ozzie Guillen, Jerry Don Gleaton, Juan Agusto, Lamar Hoyt likes Cocaine, no roofshots, Charles Comiskey, white stockings, pink scarves, Bmac, Addison Reed, Texsox, Greg775, Kerry Woods, Cubs, The Bullpen Sports bar is expensive, Ursula, Andy Frain, Molto, tarps, Ragnar Lothbrook, Soxtalk is boring, Soxtalk is mean, Soxtalk is Soxtalky, FutureSox, PresentSox, PastSox, PresentParticipleSox, Socks, Mike Tyson, Weird Al Yankovic, Liberals, Conservatives, Citybythelake.org, Journey, hiddenballtricks, blackouts, whiteouts, pinkouts, pinky and the brain, Alex Snelius, Bill Veeck, Disco, RocknRoll, SoxnRolls, rap, disco, Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Wade Miley, MPG, Hondas...

It is too calm there. I've been going to sox games e since 1960. With the lineup producing so many runs and with the late inning comebacks what more could a person ask for in a great baseball experience. If you prefer urinating in a trough we have found some of those fans have handled the changeover.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 11, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
I wonder if any team would ever consider anything really radical like once the 9th inning starts get in free or for a dollar and sit in the upper deck. After all anything after 9 innings is called free baseball.

You could get into the old Busch Stadium for free after the 7th inning but I don't know if they do that at the new place.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 11, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
You could get into the old Busch Stadium for free after the 7th inning but I don't know if they do that at the new place.

Same at Comiskey and Wrigley when I was a kid in the 50s. IIRC it was after the 6th inning.