Finding a #2 hitter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
The "middle of the order LH bat" is IMO probably easier to solve for this roster than a catcher. For the catcher they're clearly looking for a long-term solution. The LH bat is something we could plug in from the free agent market with a veteran since we have the DH slot open, and we could even cycle through more than one of those guys over a couple years. If we're signing late-in-their-career veterans, we'd still have to worry about injuries and declining performance, but the long term cost risk might be kept to a minimum.

Raul Ibanez would tend to agree with you.

Still, there's no sure-fire obvious candidate like Dunn this time around.

VMart/Morales/Lind/A.LaRoche/S.Smith/Doumit/Melky Cabrera...etc., not exactly a Murderer's Row.

Look at the success (we'll see how long it lasts) the Twins are having with Collabello or whatever his name is...he was THIS close to taking an offer to play in Japan during the offseason, despite putting up really impressive minor league stats last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)

VMart/Morales/Lind/A.LaRoche/S.Smith/Doumit/Melky Cabrera...etc., not exactly a Murderer's Row.

Look at the success (we'll see how long it lasts) the Twins are having with Collabello or whatever his name is...he was THIS close to taking an offer to play in Japan during the offseason, despite putting up really impressive minor league stats last year.

If JDA is what I'm hoping he is, we don't need a guy to carry the entire offense. We need a lefty to hit behind him and do some damage. Pretty much any of those names would look ok hitting 5th in our lineup if they were healthy. An upper .700's OPS, 15+ HR, and the ability to drive in 75+ runs in a full season's equivalent would work pretty darn well there.

The guy wouldn't even need to play every day, if the team was deep enough you could easily slide one of the righties into that slot on days when there's a lefty on the mound.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)

Also should point out that if the White Sox want to spend bigger money on a guy on a multiple year deal to fill their DH spot, Sandoval is an obvious option as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Also should point out that if the White Sox want to spend bigger money on a guy on a multiple year deal to fill their DH spot, Sandoval is an obvious option as well.

Sandoval is looking for a contract similar to Hunter Pence, maybe more. He's a guy I stay very, very far away from.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
Sandoval is looking for a contract similar to Hunter Pence, maybe more. He's a guy I stay very, very far away from.

I hear ya, but it's nice to know that the option is out there. He'll be what, a 28 year old this offseason? He'd be pricey but if we solve the catcher's spot and we think we're going for the division in 2015, Abreu followed by Sandoval is a formidable middle of the order.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
I hear ya, but it's nice to know that the option is out there. He'll be what, a 28 year old this offseason? He'd be pricey but if we solve the catcher's spot and we think we're going for the division in 2015, Abreu followed by Sandoval is a formidable middle of the order.

I feel like I've seen this movie before.

(and no, I'm not saying Sandoval will turn into Dunn, but he's such a streaky and inconsistent hitter that I just don't want them investing a ton into him)

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
I feel like I've seen this movie before.

(and no, I'm not saying Sandoval will turn into Dunn, but he's such a streaky and inconsistent hitter that I just don't want them investing a ton into him)

I like Sandoval, though he doesn't have tremendous power, he does get on base at a pretty good clip. I still prefer Headley for this team above everyone else that will be available in FA, though he turns 30 in a month and may be on the decline by the time the Sox are ready to contend. I think Headley would put up a line near .268/27/100 every season at the Cell.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
If Semien doesn't pan out, I still have high hopes for Sanchez, just 21 starting his second full season at AAA after a tremendous performance in the DSL. I think he is a better option at 2B than SS in the long run defensively.

Trouble is, we've got what, 3 guys we might be able to say are best fit at 2b? Semien, Sanchez, Johnson, all of them with promise. If more than 1 of them are big leaguers, someone's going to have to play a position other than 2b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Trouble is, we've got what, 3 guys we might be able to say are best fit at 2b? Semien, Sanchez, Johnson, all of them with promise. If more than 1 of them are big leaguers, someone's going to have to play a position other than 2b.

I agree, I think they need to start working Johnson out in CF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)

Yeah, I've always liked him, but let's let someone else pay for the overweight guy's 30s. Seems to me like the round guys break down early.

We can always trade one. None of those guys are can't-miss guys -- I figure the logjam is a problem I'm okay with having at this point. We can cross that bridge if we find ourselves with an embarrasment of riches.

One thing's for sure though -- Beckham has GOT to see the writing on the wall.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
Yeah, I've always liked him, but let's let someone else pay for the overweight guy's 30s. Seems to me like the round guys break down early.

If you got him next offseason, on say a 5 year deal, you'd have his age 28-32 seasons. That seems like a reasonable gamble if they are interested in spending money in that particular way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
If you got him next offseason, on say a 5 year deal, you'd have his age 28-32 seasons. That seems like a reasonable gamble if they are interested in spending money in that particular way.

Wow, he's younger than I thought.

What about trading for a guy like Brandon Belt? Only 25,plays LF, left handed power/average bat that would benefit from a park like the Cell. Albeit he's probably gonna be expensive but either way the Sox are gonna have to pay up if they want to get a serious LH bat to hit in that 5 hole.

Is it possible for Semien to play a competent SS?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
He's a guy who would make a lot of sense. It depends what SF thinks of him longterm I suppose. There will be a lot at work there in San Fran. They have two RH middle of the order guys in Pence and Posey and may be losing Sandoval. From what I remember Sandoval wasn't held in the highest regard out there. His weight fluctuations have pissed off management. I would think they would be more willing to lock up a younger Belt and let Sandoval walk. The possibility of moving Posey to 1B could have a big role in their decision on Belt as well.

I for one, want to add the true professional Victor Martinez. Older guys are going to be the new market inefficiency. Sign him to a two year deal and you're not handcuffed and most likely have an outstanding middle-of-the-order, seasoned vet. He would make a great cleanup hitter and should thrive behind Abreu, in our ballpark, in a division he is very familiar with.

CF Eaton

2B Semien

1B Abreu

DH Martinez

RF Garcia

C Grandal

LF De Aza/Viciedo

3B Davidson

SS Alexei/other

I agree, I think if they feel Belt is the answer then Sandoval will definitely be allowed to walk and I wouldn't touch Pablo, dude looks like a wreck waiting to happen with switching leagues and getting older. Last thing this team needs is a Dunn 2.0 situation.

Victor Martinez would be the ideal grab IF we can grab him, Detroit might want to keep him behind Miggy but can they pay him is the question.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
About 2/3 of the games he's played in the minors he started at SS.

Sure, but it's still a huge question about his development, the answer to which could have a ripple effect on the future infield. Really hoping he can be good enough at short.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
I was thinking this earlier today too. I would love an infield of Abreu, Micah Johnson, Semien and Davidson.

That would be swell.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Sure, but it's still a huge question about his development, the answer to which could have a ripple effect on the future infield. Really hoping he can be good enough at short.

Just to stress...with Alexei on the big league squad, this is something he won't be able to work on or be evaluated at until he is sent back down.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
What about trading for a guy like Brandon Belt? Only 25,plays LF, left handed power/average bat that would benefit from a park like the Cell. Albeit he's probably gonna be expensive but either way the Sox are gonna have to pay up if they want to get a serious LH bat to hit in that 5 hole.

I just don't know why he would be available at any point in the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Just to stress...with Alexei on the big league squad, this is something he won't be able to work on or be evaluated at until he is sent back down.

If he gets sent down either he or Sanchez takes over SS at AAA, Saldino is there right now.