The bullpen

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to keep reminding myself that this is a rebuilding year and that Hahn is going to try and extract value out of these vets at the deadline. Hopefully they find another scrap heap high leverage arm in Cleto that would be nice. As for jones if hes pitching hurt its understandable why he hasn't been himself these past two games.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 07:24 PM)
On a positive note...Webb looks pretty damn good!

Webb is a stud. Obviously it's just 1 game and 1 series but I wish that Webb was the closer. He's going to be the closer eventually. No better time than now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)
Webb is a stud. Obviously it's just 1 game and 1 series but I wish that Webb was the closer. He's going to be the closer eventually. No better time than now.

If Lindstrom looks like his career numbers in SV/SVO over the next two months, that's exactly what you will see...especially if Belisario and Jones aren't getting the job done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:47 PM)
Like I said in the other thread, this is the bullpen you expect for a rebuilding team. Rookies and retreads with weaknesses. Some of them will step up and some won't.

Why is that, though? Baseball has become a game where the bullpen is more vital than ever before. Why would the Sox put together such a bad bullpen when the team has improved in many other areas? It's like we want to make sure we lose (for draft picks) but look exciting doing it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 12:33 AM)
Why is that, though? Baseball has become a game where the bullpen is more vital than ever before. Why would the Sox put together such a bad bullpen when the team has improved in many other areas? It's like we want to make sure we lose (for draft picks) but look exciting doing it.

Because you don't spend unnecessary resources on parts that won't be there when the winning seasons do arrive, and it's impossible to project a bullpen past one year so why try this year when you project a solely developmental season anyway? Your best bet is to pick up people with little risk and trade the ones that pan out to further increase the talent level of your club in more sustainable ways.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 05:35 AM)
Because you don't spend unnecessary resources on parts that won't be there when the winning seasons do arrive, and it's impossible to project a bullpen past one year so why try this year when you project a solely developmental season anyway? Your best bet is to pick up people with little risk and trade the ones that pan out to further increase the talent level of your club in more sustainable ways.

Makes sense. I hope the bullpen isn't so bad, though, that it is incapable of closing out the games we have a one or two run lead in the 6th/7th. With no closer candidate (except Webb?) we might lose even more than 99 games. Last year we had a fairly decent closer and still lost 99. I guess it's all up to Nate and Lindstrom. If they are abysmal our pen has no chance.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
This.....At least on paper I thought this bullpen would be rather good. I mean hell, they were so "stacked" that they had to send down Jake Petricka and Javy Guerra.

I'm certainly less optimistic now, but I think they'll be fine.

Guerra was just cut by the Dodgers and no one else in all of MLB felt he was worth a spot on their 25 man roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
Guerra was just cut by the Dodgers and no one else in all of MLB felt he was worth a spot on their 25 man roster.

southsider2k5 is spot on plus what did we get to see of Guerra in ST anyway? How do we know how effective he can or would be? We are three games into the season and already raising these kinds of questions? Let's give the Ventura, Cooper and Hahn plan a bit of a chance

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Game 3 lol

I have my posting faults, but I don't flood the board with the "it's early" stuff. Most of us who complain realize it's early in the season. We'd just like to see the team avoid early meltdowns and huge ruts like players starting 1 for 20 and blowing games against teams like the Twins where it looks like we stole the game to begin with.