AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

justBLAZE

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
As mentioned in the game thread, that pitch (1st homer) was something like the 12th in the sequence and also was the first breaking ball. That's at least the second time already this year he's been successful in yanking in his hands. And he muscled that ball out, as he didn't quite get all of it...."as high as it was far" as they described it.

If you look at the replay from the side you can actually see him pause mid-leg-kick to get the timing right.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
If you look at the replay from the side you can actually see him pause mid-leg-kick to get the timing right.

I noticed that, He's very impressive. That 2nd Home run was absolutely crushed.

Coolest part of last night's game, IMO, was Abreu really working the counts. Pitchers are clearly pitching him very carefully and seeing what they can get away with, and he's got a TON of plate coverage so it's worked out okay so far, but it's still nice to see him force them to get closer to the zone. Really impressed with how quickly he's adjusted so far to his first taste of the best pitching in the world (Not MIN and COL, of course, but ML in general).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/statistics

Someone needs to do a "screen save" and make it their avatar. Bonifacio with the Cubs, the NL leader (with his Blue Jays cap on).

Sergio Santos leading the AL Saves category. Hopefully that guy can stay healthy, always rooted for him even after he was (very smartly) traded.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
Sergio Santos leading the AL Saves category. Hopefully that guy can stay healthy, always rooted for him even after he was (very smartly) traded.

Maybe it was wise to trade him, but it would have been wiser acquiring someone who actually could help you win. Molina had a big season that year, but he still wasn't very high on the Blue Jays prospect list, and his time with the White Sox organization has shown why.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
I think most people even panned that trade at the time and those people were right.

Not unlike the Marquez trade...with the Yankees. They tried to hype him up, but it didn't work.

Also, Zach Stewart comes to mind.

Three pretty bad pitchers...especially Molina. And nothing to show for Jackson and Santos, most importantly.

OTOH, between Contreras/Loaiza and stealing Quintana, we've done fairly well overall with the Yankees, haha.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
If Flowers is fixed (check back in a month), Severson should immediately get Coop-like status

Agreed. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it'll last from his peripherals. Leads the majors with a .714 BABIP and is sitting pretty on a 32% K rate and 25% HR/FB.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Agreed. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it'll last from his peripherals. Leads the majors with a .714 BABIP and is sitting pretty on a 32% K rate and 25% HR/FB.

He'll come back down to earth soon enough, but where he levels out will be interesting. If he ends up hitting around .250, that would be a nice improvement over anything he's done in the past. But, you're right that the K rate is concerning.

There's no doubt he's made some changes to his approach. The next month or so will be very telling.

I just want to add that if you take out the first two games of the year Semien's line is .333/.400/.519 3BB/6SO 1 HR 1SB with an unsustainable .400BABIP, I'm sure we'll still love what he is capable of when he comes back down to his career norms of .305-315ish

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
Not unlike the Marquez trade...with the Yankees. They tried to hype him up, but it didn't work.

Also, Zach Stewart comes to mind.

Three pretty bad pitchers...especially Molina. And nothing to show for Jackson and Santos, most importantly.

OTOH, between Contreras/Loaiza and stealing Quintana, we've done fairly well overall with the Yankees, haha.

Those trades are not remotely comparable to the Molina deal - both of the other ones were salary dumps. The White Sox removed Swisher's contract, got him off the roster, and got back a couple of wild cards in the Marquez deal - Betemit and Nunez came back as well. The most important thing was clearing Swisher off the roster.

Zach Stewart came back to the Sox along with Jason Frasor when Jackson and Teahen were dumped. Again, that was a salary dump, but we got back Frasor who, although ineffective for us, was then dealt for the guy who threw the hardest fastball I've ever seen in person, Daniel Webb. So out of that one, we got rid of Teahen's salary, got rid of Jackson, and wound up with a future closer (and Myles Jaye as well).

Those trades aren't remotely comparable to the the other ones. Sergio Santos was not a salary dump. There were no other spare parts, there were no other wild cards, there were no other guys who could potentially contribute to the MLB roster along with that trade, it was straight up, one guy for the other.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Those trades are not remotely comparable to the Molina deal - both of the other ones were salary dumps. The White Sox removed Swisher's contract, got him off the roster, and got back a couple of wild cards in the Marquez deal - Betemit and Nunez came back as well. The most important thing was clearing Swisher off the roster.

Zach Stewart came back to the Sox along with Jason Frasor when Jackson and Teahen were dumped. Again, that was a salary dump, but we got back Frasor who, although ineffective for us, was then dealt for the guy who threw the hardest fastball I've ever seen in person, Daniel Webb. So out of that one, we got rid of Teahen's salary, got rid of Jackson, and wound up with a future closer (and Myles Jaye as well).

Those trades aren't remotely comparable to the the other ones. Sergio Santos was not a salary dump. There were no other spare parts, there were no other wild cards, there were no other guys who could potentially contribute to the MLB roster along with that trade, it was straight up, one guy for the other.

Myles Jaye will be in this rotation sooner rather than later. Bank on it.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
I just want to add that if you take out the first two games of the year Semien's line is .333/.400/.519 3BB/6SO 1 HR 1SB with an unsustainable .400BABIP, I'm sure we'll still love what he is capable of when he comes back down to his career norms of .305-315ish

I've been looking at BABIP for a number of different hitters. Is it possible that all hitter have a high BABIP during their hot streaks and a low BABIP during thier slumps? The average for the year is in a middle range. So every time a person is hot it's unsustainable. Not coincidentally it isn't sustained but they go through periods unsustainably (?) high BABIP

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
I've been looking at BABIP for a number of different hitters. Is it possible that all hitter have a high BABIP during their hot streaks and a low BABIP during thier slumps? The average for the year is in a middle range. So every time a person is hot it's unsustainable. Not coincidentally it isn't sustained but they go through periods unsustainably (?) high BABIP

Absolutely, I think it would be a very rare thing to find a hitter whos BABIP doesn't increase or decrease by +/- .20 over the course of the season. Having said that I love Semien's approach its exactly what you want out of a top of the order hitter and hitters in general, even as his luck evens out he'll still get on base via the walk and thats going to maintain opportunities for Abreu, Dunn and Garcia to drive him in.