NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Certainly doesn't help things. Who knows how good he'll be in a year off it.

Hopefully Starks is pretty good, because Tate can't handle the whole load.

Starks is much better than Tate. Cosby is a better option at PG than Tate as well. And Illinois has now already lost 2 rotation players before the season has even started. It is going to be really interesting to see who starts now. I could potentially see Cosby starting at PG along with Nunn, Rice, Hill and Egwu. That lineup would potentially have a lot of firepower on offense but there really isn't a distributor in that group.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Starks is much better than Tate. Cosby is a better option at PG than Tate as well. And Illinois has now already lost 2 rotation players before the season has even started. It is going to be really interesting to see who starts now. I could potentially see Cosby starting at PG along with Nunn, Rice, Hill and Egwu. That lineup would potentially have a lot of firepower on offense but there really isn't a distributor in that group.

I'll take your word for it, as I haven't seen Starks nor Crosby play. Tate's a decent player, but can't shoot or finish well, so you can only use him so much. So, will be interested to see what Starsk and Crosby can do.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
I'll take your word for it, as I haven't seen Starks nor Crosby play. Tate's a decent player, but can't shoot or finish well, so you can only use him so much. So, will be interested to see what Starsk and Crosby can do.

Tate was really awful last year against decent competition. He has good court vision but he can't blow by guys so unless his shot has improved dramatically you are playing 4 on 5 whenever he is in the game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Tate was really awful last year against decent competition. He has good court vision but he can't blow by guys so unless his shot has improved dramatically you are playing 4 on 5 whenever he is in the game.

Tate had his moments in the pick and roll in his limited B1G minutes last year. Obviously he needs to shoot better than 4% from 3 (literal 3 percentage last year) and be a threat offensively, but hopefully he made a leap from Year 1 to Year 2.

Beyond that Starks and Cosby should be able to give good minutes at the 1. Still should be a deep roster, Starks' minutes just go up. Cosby sees some spot minutes at the 1.

Honestly, while the Tracy injury hurts, he was, in my opinion, the guy in the top 9 at Illinois this year that Groce could most afford to lose.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Tate had his moments in the pick and roll in his limited B1G minutes last year. Obviously he needs to shoot better than 4% from 3 (literal 3 percentage last year) and be a threat offensively, but hopefully he made a leap from Year 1 to Year 2.

Beyond that Starks and Cosby should be able to give good minutes at the 1. Still should be a deep roster, Starks' minutes just go up. Cosby sees some spot minutes at the 1.

Honestly, while the Tracy injury hurts, he was, in my opinion, the guy in the top 9 at Illinois this year that Groce could most afford to lose.

I don't know. Starks will get abused defensively in the B1G.

Jakeenan Gant and Deangelo Allen suspended after being arrested for "suspicion of 3rd degree assault".

first: :crying :crying :crying :crying

Second, I didn't know there was a third degree of assault.

Third, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I remember in 2007 I was so fed up. Demare Carroll had been shot in downtown columbia somehow, butterfield had hit his girlfriend in the face with a shotgun. I wanted basketball to be gone, then the team widdled down to a core that was some of my favorite basketball players ever.

I hope that's the case. But I can't see us being good without Gant in that core.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)

Glad to see the Big is looking out for the students and making sure they can get to see their school's basketball team.

I know that is naive but Washington D.C. did not seem like a good idea. They should hold in Florida at least the weather is warming. All about marketing.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
When can we schedule an Iowa State/Illinois home and home?

It looks like they'll get a chance to play on a neutral court next year. Both are in the Emerald City Classic and the other headlining schools are VA Tech and UAB. I assume ISU and Illinois will both be favorites to make the finals.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
It looks like they'll get a chance to play on a neutral court next year. Both are in the Emerald City Classic and the other headlining schools are VA Tech and UAB. I assume ISU and Illinois will both be favorites to make the finals.

Ha, I'm getting results!

2015-2016 should be a stacked year for Iowa State. And yes, Niang will still be around. Hopefully we land one of our top targets as well.

Still think a home and home would be a blast.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 01:31 AM)
Ha, I'm getting results!

2015-2016 should be a stacked year for Iowa State. And yes, Niang will still be around. Hopefully we land one of our top targets as well.

Still think a home and home would be a blast.

Will Iowa State take two from Kansas this year?