NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
The top 25 has many losses this year. Many of those from the B1G. They beat the ACC but lost most of the key games.

Yeah that still doesn't qualify as "not very good". It's still probably the first or second best conference from top to bottom in the country.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
The B1G is 3-14 vs top 25 opponents.

I mean, when some of those games are unranked Indiana playing 4 Louisville and unranked Illinois playing 7 Villanova at home...I wouldn't expect that record to be very good right now. Way too early.

It's a really deep conference with one elite team.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:31 PM)
It really doesn't make sense considering he has produced against teams like Nova in the past. My only guess is that he's still getting used to playing primarily off the ball and running around screens whereas he was the main ball handler at Seton Hall.

Illinois has two losses thus far. One to a ranked team in a true road game and the other at a neutral site against a top 10 team loaded with experience. The Illini were close at points midway through the second half in both. It's not the end of the world. It's not like they lost to NJIT.

It's just not clicking for him, my one big worry is that his shot is that awful flat type, did he just get lucky for a year at Seton Hall or was that true talent to score?

I'm not that worried about the Illini, I figured we'd lose both of these games, it's just disappointing that we aren't shooting as well as we should be and that's really holding us back. But Hill and Rice are going to keep us in a lot of games, hopefully Nunn plays more and gets into a good groove as well.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
It's just not clicking for him, my one big worry is that his shot is that awful flat type, did he just get lucky for a year at Seton Hall or was that true talent to score?

I'm not that worried about the Illini, I figured we'd lose both of these games, it's just disappointing that we aren't shooting as well as we should be and that's really holding us back. But Hill and Rice are going to keep us in a lot of games, hopefully Nunn plays more and gets into a good groove as well.

He shot 38% from 3 as a freshman as well and he took a lot of 3s both his freshman and sophomore year so he didn't just get lucky when it comes to making shots.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)

Cosby needs something to get himself going. When he hit the 3 to tie the game at 50, I thought maybe he was going to get hot in the second half. Nunn has been efficient scoring, but he's had his bad moments as well. He's still way, way too left hand dominant.

My one critique of Groce in both the Miami and Nova games is with the Morgan/Colbert rotation. With as much running around as Egwu does on both ends of the floor, he can't play 34-35 minutes a night. Groce needs to be able to trust Colbert/Morgan to give him 5 minutes a half.

Otherwise, I agree - not that worried about the Illini. They are a fringe top-25 team now and, if Cosby gets going, the ceiling goes up some.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Cosby needs something to get himself going. When he hit the 3 to tie the game at 50, I thought maybe he was going to get hot in the second half. Nunn has been efficient scoring, but he's had his bad moments as well. He's still way, way too left hand dominant.

My one critique of Groce in both the Miami and Nova games is with the Morgan/Colbert rotation. With as much running around as Egwu does on both ends of the floor, he can't play 34-35 minutes a night. Groce needs to be able to trust Colbert/Morgan to give him 5 minutes a half.

Otherwise, I agree - not that worried about the Illini. They are a fringe top-25 team now and, if Cosby gets going, the ceiling goes up some.

Well Morgbert hasn't really shown much yet, they get manhandled against good PF/Cs. Groce REALLY needs to find a dominate PF/C, he's yet to get one onto campus (I don't think Paul will be that guy, he'll be serviceable). It's my one real concern going forward, as it's so transparent when we go against a top PF/C that we are completely outmatched down low.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
The BIG is a conference that is short on elite teams but also short on terrible teams. You line the BIG up 1-14 against most conferences and you are going to lose a lot of matchups at the top but win a lot of them in the middle/bottom.

Where does Nebraska versus Incarnate Word slot?