NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Groce clearly isn't Bo Ryan. Decent coach but he needs to have great talent to win big. He is upgrading the talent but it isn't quite there yet and he isn't a guy that can win big without it. This team should still be good this year but if Cosby and Starks are going to play like this the team is doing nothing. There are 7 players on this team that should be getting pt and 2 of them are proven shooters who can't make shots right now. Not good but Groce needs to stop being so set on rotations and let guys stay out there if they are making plays. Cosby has been awful but he finally made a 3 tonight and came out right after that. Let him stay in for a bit and see if you can get him going. We aren't winning a anything if he doesn't start playing like he did at Seton Hall anyways.

I'm obviously not an Illini guy but Groce gets the kids he has t o play hard and is so close to landing a big fish. Outside of Rice, if Hill has an off day like yesterday, there is just nobody else who can score.

I'm not sure if it's just game rust for Starks but I thought he'd be better. Leron Black, where?

You'll all be excited again in a couple of weeks when you beat Michigan.

I'm depressed, this was supposed to be the year that pushes the program forward and we're falling flat. Groce needs to get this team in order, it's on him at this point, you've brought these guys in you need to get them to play better now.

Not saying he's on the hot seat, but man I have been sorely disappointed this year. We have to win the games we werent supposed to in the Big Ten now, and that's always tough.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
I'm depressed, this was supposed to be the year that pushes the program forward and we're falling flat. Groce needs to get this team in order, it's on him at this point, you've brought these guys in you need to get them to play better now.

Not saying he's on the hot seat, but man I have been sorely disappointed this year. We have to win the games we werent supposed to in the Big Ten now, and that's always tough.

In the last 5 games Cosby is 5/39 from the field. He is 4/24 from 3 and 1/15 from 2. He's shooting 29% from the field for the year. Him and Starks have been awful. It doesn't make much sense. If they don't start shooting near their career averages it will be a long season.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
In the last 5 games Cosby is 5/39 from the field. He is 4/24 from 3 and 1/15 from 2. He's shooting 29% from the field for the year. Him and Starks have been awful. It doesn't make much sense. If they don't start shooting near their career averages it will be a long season.

This is exactly right. If Cosby isn't a reliable option offensively, this team is going to look a lot like last year's, but probably worse defensively because of Starks for Tracy. Against Nova, Hill was on fire and Rice struggled. Against Oregon, it was vice versa. Both losses. All my optimism this season was premised on Cosby being that third option. Obviously, he's not there at the moment.

The other bright spot for Illinois is that Black has looked promising - when he can stay on the floor. Hopefully he follows the Hill/Nunn development curve from last year and is ready to give good minutes by late January. Black for 20 minutes a night gives Groce a lot more lineup flexibility than he has at the moment...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
I really don't like that this Iowa State team appears to soft-pedal it when they get a lead, especially against a lower level team. Signals potential danger later. And the pre-game technical was just incredibly stupid.

I think the last game was a case of it being like their third game in six days, coupled with the fact that a bunch of them made a night of it after beating Iowa.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
It's incredible how much this team misses Abrams. I had no idea how important he was.

Somewhere between the lack of court vision and decision making we took for granted that he could play against a high major guard and do something other than shoot contested 18+ ft shots.