NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Iowa out to a 25 point lead over the Terps.

It seems MD has been overrated for most of the season.

For Iowa, other than playing at Indiana, they should be the favorite in 7 of their last 8 games....which probably means they'll go 4-4, haha. Actually, compared to last season when the "great collapse" began at roughly this time, this Iowa team has actually been getting better and better.

Next year will suck, as you can't replace White/Olaseni/Woodbury in one year, but hopefully they can get back in the Top 25 again and pick up their recruiting/athleticism. Dominique Uhl figures to become a much more important player next year, and Uthoff might have to play more 4 (if he doesn't go pro, he's got the game for it) than he'd like, but it will be interesting to see how McCaffrey "rebuilds" on the fly.

Feb 12

vs

MINN

7:00 PM ET

Feb 15

@

NW

3:00 PM ET

Feb 19

vs

RUTG

8:00 PM ET

Feb 22

@

NEB

Feb 25

vs

ILL

9:00 PM ET

Feb 28

@

PSU

6:00 PM ET

Mar 3

@

IND

Mar 7

vs

NW

TBD

By the way, has anyone seen Brandon Hutton (De La Salle) or Isaiah Moss (Simeon) play?

Those are the first two Chicago players Iowa has recruited in AGES. And they've also got a kid from basketball powerhouse Oak Hill Academy coming in (Andrew Fleming)...it will be a lot of fun to watch, at least, anything's better than Lickliter/Alford in terms of style of play.

These are the 6'4" to 6'7" swing guys they need, if they can get enough from the frontcourt...and they have played basically with four guards already at different times this year.

Then you have Conor McCaffrey in 2017...who could become the best guard has had since Jeff Horner.

EDIT: I can't believe that Woodbury's going to be around another year. He's only a junior.

Gesell

Jok

Uthoff

Uhl

Woodbury

That's your starting five. Probably not an NCAA team unless those four freshman can make a big impact right away. Clemmons and Trey Dickerson are your other two guards/back-court depth.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
Hutton is high energy. Moss, I have no clue how he got a D1 scholarship. He has never stood out in a high school game. Must be an AAU type kid.

Good to hear. They're going to need some guys next year who can come off the bench and provide instant offense, or, in Hutton's case, lock down a player defensively.

Over the last twenty years or so, Iowa hasn't had many of those athletes....Marble always had a "score first" mentality like his father.

You have to go back to Haluska/Brunner/Horner for an Iowa team that had a real chance to get to the 2nd weekend...and then the Reggie Evans/Luke Recker team that imploded at the turn of the century.

Texas, Syracuse, UNI (Des Moines), Iowa State, WISKY (2x), MSU and at Purdue (without White for 2nd half). That's an impressive list of losses, to go with beating UNC in Chapel Hill, sweeping OSU and now crushing MI (on the road) and MD.

They came back to almost beat Purdue but have also played terrible against in-state schools, Wisconsin and MSU in the 2nd halves of games. Not that it's a sin this year to lose to the Badgers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
Iowa out to a 25 point lead over the Terps.

It seems MD has been overrated for most of the season.

For Iowa, other than playing at Indiana, they should be the favorite in 7 of their last 8 games....which probably means they'll go 4-4, haha. Actually, compared to last season when the "great collapse" began at roughly this time, this Iowa team has actually been getting better and better.

Next year will suck, as you can't replace White/Olaseni/Woodbury in one year, but hopefully they can get back in the Top 25 again and pick up their recruiting/athleticism. Dominique Uhl figures to become a much more important player next year, and Uthoff might have to play more 4 (if he doesn't go pro, he's got the game for it) than he'd like, but it will be interesting to see how McCaffrey "rebuilds" on the fly.

Feb 12

vs

MINN

Feb 15

@

NW

Feb 19

vs

RUTG

8:00 PM ET

Feb 22

@

NEB

Feb 25

vs

ILL

9:00 PM ET

Feb 28

@

PSU

6:00 PM ET

Mar 3

@

IND

Mar 7

vs

NW

TBD

Woodbury will be poking eyes out another season. He is a junior.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
I'd like to think Woodbury didn't poke Trimble in the eye on purpose but replay makes it look on purpose.

I think he tries to put a hand in the guys face. He recoiled when there was contact. That indicated to me it was an accident, but he is going to have to stop that move.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
I think he tries to put a hand in the guys face. He recoiled when there was contact. That indicated to me it was an accident, but he is going to have to stop that move.

That's what I thought but this is the 3rd time, someone said.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
It happened twice in the Wisconsin game.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSbm7vDth...Lg0Ftpw2FAVhUs-

Leading to an ongoing back-and-forth with Dakich and McCaffrey in the media.

Fran was also pissed that people pointed out the kid hasnt taken a legal jump ball in his entire career.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
Fran was also pissed that people pointed out the kid hasnt taken a legal jump ball in his entire career.

Those are a little crazy, but the eye pokes are unintentional. If he at 7'1" could actually poke people in the eyes on purpose when they are playing, and be so good at it, none of the three were called a foul at the time they happened, I doubt he would be playing in his 3rd year at Iowa and averaging about 7 a game.

He tries to stick a hand right in their face. He should probably stop that. But the criticism he has received is ridiculous. He is Adam Woodbury. He's a 7'1" guy who shoots layups instead of dunks.

Rankings are strange to me.

Kansas wins at home against #11 Iowa State, loses on the road to an unranked OSU team, and stays 8th.

Iowa State loses on the road to #8 Kansas, wins big at home against Texas Tech, and drops from 11th to 14th.

Not that it matters much, but it seems weird. Iowa State did what you'd expect and fell, Kansas had a less-than-expectations week and stayed put.

Also, Northern Iowa - anyone actually watched them play yet? It doesn't seem like they've beaten much of anyone big yet, seems hard to believe they should be ranked that high. Then again I'm not sure they shouldn't either, just don't know what to make of them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Also, Northern Iowa - anyone actually watched them play yet? It doesn't seem like they've beaten much of anyone big yet, seems hard to believe they should be ranked that high. Then again I'm not sure they shouldn't either, just don't know what to make of them.

They have the @SFA win and the Wichita win so they got a few good one's. They don't have the ceiling of the last few Wichita State teams(or this years) as they're not as skilled but per usual they're really good defensively and Seth Tuttle is one of the better post players in the country. They're a top 15-20 team imo.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Those are a little crazy, but the eye pokes are unintentional. If he at 7'1" could actually poke people in the eyes on purpose when they are playing, and be so good at it, none of the three were called a foul at the time they happened, I doubt he would be playing in his 3rd year at Iowa and averaging about 7 a game.

He tries to stick a hand right in their face. He should probably stop that. But the criticism he has received is ridiculous. He is Adam Woodbury. He's a 7'1" guy who shoots layups instead of dunks.

Maybe, but he sure as hell wasn't making a basketball play when he poked Kaminsky in the eye.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 05:32 PM)
Woodbury also isn't very good at basketball

He's typical of most highly-recruited seven footers who get immediate playing time but take a lot more time to develop.

Considering that Dominique Uhl and Uthoff would be playing post without him next year, they're still better off with him than without him. And he's played a lot better the past couple of games when Iowa has seemingly turned the corner.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Rankings are strange to me.

Kansas wins at home against #11 Iowa State, loses on the road to an unranked OSU team, and stays 8th.

Iowa State loses on the road to #8 Kansas, wins big at home against Texas Tech, and drops from 11th to 14th.

Not that it matters much, but it seems weird. Iowa State did what you'd expect and fell, Kansas had a less-than-expectations week and stayed put.

The good news is they dont matter.

They do and they don't.

It's hard to say there's zero impact psychologically on the seedings for the NCAA's.

There's always going to be an imperceptible bias towards power conference teams...especially the most storied programs.

Oklahoma playing their best game of the season. Ok. State has become a dangerous team as well.

Baylor and ISU going backwards a bit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 07:18 AM)
New Jereme Richmond interview. I'll believe it when I see he changed. A lot of this sounds like cliche'd sound bites.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150210/ch...ind-bars-future

Good luck to the kid, hopefully his actions can match his words and he does something with his life.