NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
He's a bad shooter, but really he only takes about 1 jump shot a game and it's usually a 3 pointer at the end of the shot clock. Not a shock that a player bricks those. He can finish around the rim, at least that's something.

Last night was maddening. How do you dominate a team 21-2 over the last 10-15 minutes of play but play so horribly the first 30? Credit Michigan for nearly stealing that game with maybe the worst starting line-up in the Big Ten, but yikes it was like they were Tom Crean running up against that zone. They seemed totally unprepared and got really lucky to get that win. I'll take it, but man is the Wisconsin game going to be a beat down. If we don't lose by 20 i'll be happy.

I thought a lot of the struggles against the zone happened with Tate in. Michigan didn't have anyone concerned with Tate, allowing them to clog the lane (taking away Hill flashing to the middle) and cheat the zone toward Hill, Nunn, and Rice on the perimeter.

Tate being a bad shooter can really hurt the offense. I like the way he moves the ball and runs the offense. But until he can be something of a threat to get his own offense, the half court offense will struggle with him in the game.

Iowa's the perfect example. They can beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill and sweep Ohio State but also give away a game at home to a team that hasn't won on the road in B10 play and is something like 3-20 in their last 23.

Sometimes Aaron White looks like he could make an NBA roster, Gesell is VERY solid (or he looks like Lickliter's son and not deserving of a scholarship) and Uthoff potentially like an NBA late 1st rounder. Then games like this, you wonder if they will ever make the NCAA Tournament again. Uthoff and Jok are maddening sometimes.

They still have a VERY favorable schedule over the final 7 (the only pretty sure loss at Indiana), but if they lose to NW on the road Sunday, the roof could cave in again like last year...with the main difference being they were #12 or 13 in the country when they collapsed last year.

Very frustrating losses to MSU and Minny at home. But no B10 team should be ashamed to lose to WI twice, even though neither game was close, especially in Madison.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
I thought a lot of the struggles against the zone happened with Tate in. Michigan didn't have anyone concerned with Tate, allowing them to clog the lane (taking away Hill flashing to the middle) and cheat the zone toward Hill, Nunn, and Rice on the perimeter.

Tate being a bad shooter can really hurt the offense. I like the way he moves the ball and runs the offense. But until he can be something of a threat to get his own offense, the half court offense will struggle with him in the game.

It's a combo of Tate and Egwu that really made the offense die. If Egwu could just learn to get the ball in the post, dribble once or twice and kick out to a shooter it would be great. For some reason teams still do a half double team on him (cheating of Tate is probably a lot of it), leaving a guy open. Yet he rarely makes that pass.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
I was just going to say that. We have this discussion every year, just like the bubble is weak.

Bubble teams are always mediocre with the expanded tournament. I just think college basketball is a really bad product right now other than the excitement of the NCAA tournament. The basketball being played around the country just isn't entertaining at all. Especially when you compare it to the NBA where the league is terrific right now and a lot of the teams are playing beautiful basketball.

You don't watch college ball for the quality of play though, you watch for the excitement, the atmosphere, the drama, the ups and downs the kids go through. Every game seems to matter. Sure the NBA has more talent and better players, but the regular season is so long and the players just seem to be going through the motions waiting for the playoffs. Until the playoffs start, I'd much rather watch a NCAA game than a NBA regular season game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
I'd like to see Illinois go big today. Don't play either Tate or Starks and go with a lineup of Rice/Nunn/Hill/Colbert/Egwu. Wisconsin doesn't pressure the ball and it would help us on the defensive end.

Well there's 5 minutes left in the game so that's not happening lol. Only down 10, they've fought all game.

If Iowa loses at Northwestern, you can stick a form in them.

They were down 23-13 but managed to go into halftime with a more manageable 3 point deficit...mentally fragile now for three seasons in a row.

Continuing to struggle in their set offense, and continuing to have trouble defending the 3 point arc.

Why in God's name didn't NW foul?

Uthoff has single-handedly been carrying Iowa the whole second half.

Edited by caulfield12

Aaron White and Woodbury have been laughably terrible in this game.

At this point, I don't even care about this rest of the season.

Pathetic. But no Iowa fan should really be surprised if they've followed this team carefully the last 3 seasons.

Last year, there was Twittergate. This year, it's Woodbury eye-pokes. McCaffrey always seems to be his own worst enemy with the media.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:56 AM)
Remember when this guy was THE story of the NCAA tourney in 2013?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Enfield

Now 4-27 in his first 31 PAC-10 games.

Could of told you that would happen. He was never that good of a coach and USC sucks.

FGCU is doing just fine without him.