NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
Michigan inexplicably takes down OSU in Ann Arbor.

And Iowa up 30 over Nebraska, ON THE ROAD. I don't think ANY team has been that dominant in Lincoln all season.

So beat UNC in Chapel Hill, OSU twice, have MI down 20+ points in Ann Arbor and pin one of their worst home losses under Beilein, wipe out Maryland by double digits and ahead by 20+ in the first half...but lose at home to MINN and at Northwestern to ruin all positive momentum.

What an inconsistent team. They'll probably lose to Illinois at home, win at PSU, lose at IND and beat NW by 30+ at home and then lose in the 2nd round of the B10 tourney and be firmly on the bubble.

In many ways, that Illinois at Iowa game next week becomes another play-in game for the Illini, like tonight's game against MSU. Only two of Illinois, Purdue and Iowa will make it imo. Although OSU now is 8-6 too with that inexplicable loss to MI. Parity.

If Illinois wins 3 out of their last 5 they will be pretty safely in, so if they win tonight the Iowa game isn't all that important.

If Illinois loses tonight, the play in game for Illinois will likely be @ Purdue the last game of the season.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
If Illinois wins 3 out of their last 5 they will be pretty safely in, so if they win tonight the Iowa game isn't all that important.

If Illinois loses tonight, the play in game for Illinois will likely be @ Purdue the last game of the season.

Up until last week, Purdue had been firmly on the bubble or out with most brackets because of their non-conference and lack of marquee wins.

It will be an interesting finish. It's harder to imagine them winning in West Lafayette, compared to Iowa City. We just haven't had that home court supreme confidence for a decade now (this year losing to MSU and Minny already, along with WI).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
For as much as I want this Illinois team to make the tournament, I think it might just be better not to have to watch this year's team any longer than necessary.

They have looked worse since Rice came back. Tate being sick tonight certainly hasn't helped matters.

Horrible defense by Illinois in the 2nd half. When Nairn is in the game don't even guard him until he shows he can make a shot. And when Dawson is in the mid-post just stay behind him. He has no post moves and he can't shoot.

And after playing a great game at MSU Egwu has been horrible tonight. He is doing an absolutely dreadful job on the high ball screens.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 05:58 AM)
They also only have one player that's any good. How does Izzo manage to win so much with that horrific style?!

Are you trying to infer you can't win by playing a terrible style of basketball? Bo Ryan would be so upset with you. But really, the last two years Izzo has decided to play defense by fouling and fouling and fouling vs decent to good teams. Good lord it's boring.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
I looked at the schedule and saw anywhere from 17-14 to 19-12.

Maybe they're better than that, but it was just a general supposition due to the opponents on the schedule.

They're 17-10 right now. Two-and-two is a definite possibiity in the last 4 games.

Pretty decent guess, I suppose.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 07:04 AM)
They're 17-10 right now. Two-and-two is a definite possibiity in the last 4 games.

Pretty decent guess, I suppose.

Rice out 8 weeks-ish due to a broken wrist, still extremely rusty from that

Cosby is off the team after suspension and just a horrific season

Nunn took longer to recover from offseason knee injury

I would say those have contributed just a tad to that record.