NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing shot by Rice to end it. Terrible performance by Illinois but at least they won. Biggest issues remain Cosby mysteriously forgetting how to shoot and really bad shot selection. When they don't settle for bad shots they efficient offensively but every guy except for basically Nunn just take so many bad shots. That is a coaching issue at this point, I like that Groce gives guys the green light and has them playing with confidence but there is a happy medium between Weber ball crushing players souls and this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
I can live with that game. Kids are starting to believe. They just need to stop giving up on possessions early with threes. Tough loss. I'm worried mizzou may not score vs Kentucky though. Yeeah.

They still suck, let's be clear on that. Maybe in two years they'll be competitive again. At least they played hard. Some early nervous turnovers ultimately seemed to cost them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
Jesus, Kentucky is just disgusting. Teams come out just scared of them.

Their length is insane, then when you think you've figured them out they do a line change and you are back to square one. Really impressive. The only way they lose in the tourney is they get a team that is red hot from 3 and can defend a bit in the paint.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Their length is insane, then when you think you've figured them out they do a line change and you are back to square one. Really impressive. The only way they lose in the tourney is they get a team that is red hot from 3 and can defend a bit in the paint.

I feel like you either have to press them, or hold the ball for 35 seconds on offense. Too many teams have let them dictate their pace. Not that your chances of winning are great, but you have to do something to knock them out of their comfort zone.

Happy with the Hoosiers' win over Butler. Yogi beasted in the second half. And that was probably the best game Troy Williams has had. Still a little too out of control sometimes, though.

I liked the retro Illini uniforms. And who thought it was a good idea to blow up the UCLA/Kentucky/Ohio State/North Carolina logos to where you couldn't even see the United Center floor? That was fugly.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Happy with the Hoosiers' win over Butler. Yogi beasted in the second half. And that was probably the best game Troy Williams has had. Still a little too out of control sometimes, though.

I liked the retro Illini uniforms. And who thought it was a good idea to blow up the UCLA/Kentucky/Ohio State/North Carolina logos to where you couldn't even see the United Center floor? That was fugly.

I thought it looked cool. It was different and for a one time thing who cares.

What do you think of the state of college basketball, specifically Kentucky with the 9 McDonald's All-Americans? What are the odds UK wins it all? I'd say probably 92 percent, the other 8 percent the field.

Living in a pro town as many of you do (Chicago) do you think college basketball is a total joke now in this era of one and done? I'm starting to think college basketball is a very weak feeder system to the big, bad, all-everything NBA. For example, I can almost guarantee you Cliff Alexander and Kelly Oubre are one and done at Kansas, yet as freshmen they are contributing like freshmen have done throughout history, meaning, not very much. Wiggins last year also exhibited traits of a freshman and by no means was dominant. Even Durant won one NCAA tournament game at Texas before moving on after his freshman season. Do you think college basketball has become very passe (shouldn't we just crown Kentucky and get it over with?) or do you think the college game is outstanding basketball?

My take is this one and done thing has not helped the college game much and that currently when you talk about basketball you are only talking about the NBA, whereas you talk football and college is equally entertaining to the NFL.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Dec 28, 2014 -> 01:22 AM)
True. Ulis wasn't quite in their backyard, though. I really thought he made a mistake by going to UK over MSU or Iowa, but he definitely belongs.

At the risk of dislocating my shoulder, I'll pay myself on the back for being on his bandwagon since he was a soph. I knew what he could do. Did I think he's be this good right away at UK? No way, but he is smart and can make adjustments.

I have no doubt he could be the next Chris Paul.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)
What do you think of the state of college basketball, specifically Kentucky with the 9 McDonald's All-Americans? What are the odds UK wins it all? I'd say probably 92 percent, the other 8 percent the field.

Living in a pro town as many of you do (Chicago) do you think college basketball is a total joke now in this era of one and done? I'm starting to think college basketball is a very weak feeder system to the big, bad, all-everything NBA. For example, I can almost guarantee you Cliff Alexander and Kelly Oubre are one and done at Kansas, yet as freshmen they are contributing like freshmen have done throughout history, meaning, not very much. Wiggins last year also exhibited traits of a freshman and by no means was dominant. Even Durant won one NCAA tournament game at Texas before moving on after his freshman season. Do you think college basketball has become very passe (shouldn't we just crown Kentucky and get it over with?) or do you think the college game is outstanding basketball?

My take is this one and done thing has not helped the college game much and that currently when you talk about basketball you are only talking about the NBA, whereas you talk football and college is equally entertaining to the NFL.

One and done has helped very few teams while hurting the overal product IMO. But what's the better rule? I don't know

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
One and done has helped very few teams while hurting the overal product IMO. But what's the better rule? I don't know

Ideally it would be similar to MLB. Either come out right after high school, or you have to play in college for 3 years.

Either way, college basketball will be fine. Even if the product gets watered down, you can't beat the excitement and drama of a 64 team single elimination tournament.