NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like Black and actually think he's been underutilized today but that was just stupid. He's the sole front court player who might turn into a good player, but right now he's not there mentally. He's trying really hard and is making efforts to be a tough guy, which he is - but at the same time he's not ready for this speed either

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
So taking out the Kennesaw State game I believe Cosby is 14 for his last 74. I mean you have to try to suck that bad.

I never watched him play at Seton Hall, but I can't believe his jumper could have been this flat when he was there. I just can't imagine him shooting 40% from 3 with this same arc.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
I never watched him play at Seton Hall, but I can't believe his jumper could have been this flat when he was there. I just can't imagine him shooting 40% from 3 with this same arc.

I forget who said this but he absolutely looks like a guy who worked on his shot in the basement

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)

It wasn't this flat. He wasn't a guy who shot it was a ton of arc but his shot is noticeably flatter this year. He shot 43% from the floor and 40% from 3 in the Big East (when the Big East was still really good) on a pretty high volume of shots and now he can't make uncontested layups and its shocking when he makes a 3. It is insane how bad he's been.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
It wasn't this flat. He wasn't a guy who shot it was a ton of arc but his shot is noticeably flatter this year. He shot 43% from the floor and 40% from 3 in the Big East (when the Big East was still really good) on a pretty high volume of shots and now he can't make uncontested layups and its shocking when he makes a 3. It is insane how bad he's been.

Yeah, I looked at box scores for him in his last season there and he had big games against final four teams like Louisville and Syracuse. Those teams had really, really good defensive backcourts too. That's why I expected so much from him and didn't think the Abrams loss would be as big. He played some point at seton against those Big East teams and held his own.

Boy was I wrong.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
Yeah, I looked at box scores for him in his last season there and he had big games against final four teams like Louisville and Syracuse. Those teams had really, really good defensive backcourts too. That's why I expected so much from him and didn't think the Abrams loss would be as big. He played some point at seton against those Big East teams and held his own.

Boy was I wrong.

Cosby forgetting how to play basketball is one of the more surprising things I can remember. This isn't a guy transferring from a mid major who is struggling to adjust to higher competition and it isn't a guy who wasn't great at the high major level who transferred for more playing time like Alex Legion. This is a guy who was a damn good player against similar competition (actually better competition than Illinois has played so far when you take into account the cupcakes) and now he is consistently terrible.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
Illinois sports are so irrelevant. Maybe the worst time in my life. (Born in 82).

Since the Rose Bowl both programs have been dreadful (and really football has been terrible for 20 years, thanks Ron). Football hasn't finished above .500 in conference once and basketball hasn't made a single Sweet 16. Ron Guenther let both programs fall into irrelevancy during his tenure by consistently hiring bad football coaches and then hiring Weber who is just awful on the basketball side. And now it looks like Thomas has missed on both of his hires. I liked Groce but he hasn't recruited at a high enough level yet when you account for the fact that it is pretty clear he is not a great X and O guy.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Also, at minimum, Groce should be forced to make changes to his staff after this year. Parham is popular in Chicago but he hasn't helped us land anyone that we probably wouldn't have landed without him and it doesn't appear he brings anything to the table from a coaching perspective and I don't think Dustin Ford has much value at all either.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

And re-watching some of the game from yesterday, wow does this team look really poorly coached on defense right now. OSU has some good players but it isn't like they were too quick or too big for Illinois. Illinois wasn't communicating at all on defense, players weren't rotating properly and I still have no idea what Groce's strategy is for defending ball screens.

On offense the biggest problem (the turnover issues in the 2nd half which are an outlier notwithstanding) continues to be that there are simply too many possessions where there isn't any ball movement and we force a bad shot early in the shot clock. Add in that Aaron Cosby and Ahmad Starks have apparently forgotten how to shoot the basketball and it is easy to see why Illinois is struggling on that end.

Also, unrelated and I've only seen OSU play a few times so I don't know if this reflects how they have looked in other games but I think OSU would also be better off playing man to man than zone against most teams. They have some fantastic perimeter defenders that aren't being utilized in the zone and their players seem to be pretty passive when playing zone in the games I've watched.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
Also, at minimum, Groce should be forced to make changes to his staff after this year. Parham is popular in Chicago but he hasn't helped us land anyone that we probably wouldn't have landed without him and it doesn't appear he brings anything to the table from a coaching perspective and I don't think Dustin Ford has much value at all either.

Ford brings the canada connection, which has resulted in zilch. I was really hoping he got the Ohio job when it opened.

Also, bring in Dee, like now.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 4, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Ford brings the canada connection, which has resulted in zilch. I was really hoping he got the Ohio job when it opened.

Also, bring in Dee, like now.

Still tearing it up in his league I think. Have to imagine he makes more doing that than he would as an assistant.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
Still tearing it up in his league I think. Have to imagine he makes more doing that than he would as an assistant.

I can't imagine Dee would be a coaching upgrade in any way, shape, or form either way.