NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

I read the report and it doesn't sound like anything. And Coach K didn't cover up anything I don't think. He eemingly reported it to his superiors which he has to do by law. Then he kicked Suliemon off the team eventually.

Honestly reads like a student report who thought they were getting their big break but hit a wall of info and just published what they had.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
I read the report and it doesn't sound like anything. And Coach K didn't cover up anything I don't think. He eemingly reported it to his superiors which he has to do by law. Then he kicked Suliemon off the team eventually.

Honestly reads like a student report who thought they were getting their big break but hit a wall of info and just published what they had.

Well it only took him a year to kick him off the team.

It's certainly not PSU level, but this is still SOMETHING. There's still a failure to act and a hope it would just go away. I don't like the coach saying "oh yeah i knew there were allegations that my player raped two women, but what am I to do? The AD/school were supposed to look into it and let me know. Not my responsibility!" He's Coach K. He runs that school. He could have asked at some point what the update was and from what we know so far that never happened.

And it looks awfully shady when the guy was kicked off the team soon after the student newspaper started digging and asking questions.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
It's certainly not PSU level, but this is still SOMETHING. There's still a failure to act and a hope it would just go away. I don't like the coach saying "oh yeah i knew there were allegations that my player raped two women, but what am I to do? The AD/school were supposed to look into it and let me know. Not my responsibility!" He's Coach K. He runs that school. He could have asked at some point what the update was and from what we know so far that never happened.

And it looks awfully shady when the guy was kicked off the team soon after the student newspaper started digging and asking questions.

Part of the problem is that this is a very good example of how sexual assault has been treated at many major US universities. Don't treat it as a crime, don't get the police involved, hope it blows over and goes away. It's a good example IMO of why this has become an issue in the last few years at a number of universities.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Part of the problem is that this is a very good example of how sexual assault has been treated at many major US universities. Don't treat it as a crime, don't get the police involved, hope it blows over and goes away. It's a good example IMO of why this has become an issue in the last few years at a number of universities.

I don't think the school should get the police involved without the victims' ok first. But the school absolutely should be looking into it on their own and should be dolling out punishments as it sees fit.

As much as I hate to give credit to Louisville, they did it the right way with Chris Jones.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
I don't think the school should get the police involved without the victims' ok first. But the school absolutely should be looking into it on their own and should be dolling out punishments as it sees fit.

This is backwards. Laws in virtually every state were changed a few decades ago for domestic and sexual violence cases - the victim no longer needs be the complainant. Police (via the state) are allowed to represent them that way now. This was done to protect the victims who might be scared to press charges.

If the coach was made aware of accusations, he should have escalated to the AD (which it sounds like he did), then the AD or him (pick your poison) should absolutely contact the police. Right away. If it is nothing, so be it - but that is not for a school's athletic department to decide, ever.

Not sure of Coach K or the AD or someone between holds the responsibility here, but one or both should absolutely have gone to law enforcement.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
This is backwards. Laws in virtually every state were changed a few decades ago for domestic and sexual violence cases - the victim no longer needs be the complainant. Police via the state) are allowed to represent them that way now. This was done to protect the victims who might be scared to press charges.

If the coach was made aware of accusations, he should have escalated to the AD (which it sounds like he did), then the AD or him (pick your poison) should absolutely contact the police. Right away. If it is nothing, so be it - but that is not for a school's athletic department to decide, ever.

Not sure of Coach K or the AD or someone between holds the responsibility here, but one or both should absolutely have gone to law enforcement.

Yeah and I don't agree with this, at all. I think you're (potentially) forcing women to go through something they might not want to. Taking it to the cops means more interviews and possible public testimony about it all. Some women might want to just keep it a secret and be done with it. Whether that's healthy or not I dunno, but it shouldn't be our decision to make.

And leaving it up to the victim to participate doesn't just end her involvement. Cops are still going to investigate the event (i.e., talking to friends, family, anyone with knowledge), which again, might not be what the victim wants.

In theory I like removing any doubt about what the school should be doing in that situation, since it will most likely lead to more cover ups. But I dunno. Getting the cops involved makes it all a public affair that seems unfair to the woman involved if she doesn't want it to go any further.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Yeah and I don't agree with this, at all. I think you're (potentially) forcing women to go through something they might not want to. Taking it to the cops means more interviews and possible public testimony about it all. Some women might want to just keep it a secret and be done with it. Whether that's healthy or not I dunno, but it shouldn't be our decision to make.

And leaving it up to the victim to participate doesn't just end her involvement. Cops are still going to investigate the event (i.e., talking to friends, family, anyone with knowledge), which again, might not be what the victim wants.

In theory I like removing any doubt about what the school should be doing in that situation, since it will most likely lead to more cover ups. But I dunno. Getting the cops involved makes it all a public affair that seems unfair to the woman involved if she doesn't want it to go any further.

I cannot understand any circumstance wherein allowing an athletic department to handle an investigation into potentially criminal acts makes any sense. It's a terrible idea. They aren't trained for it, their motives don't align with the victim (in fact run counter), they don't have the legal authority and they have the ability to block due process. Terrible.

And taking it to the police doesn't make it public any more than someone taking it to the athletic department. It only becomes public if A) something is done about it, which could be either, or B) someone leaks something. Either way it could go public, in the same way, and in fact a police department will be LESS likely to have controls for that sort of leak than some athletic department.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
I cannot understand any circumstance wherein allowing an athletic department to handle an investigation into potentially criminal acts makes any sense. It's a terrible idea. They aren't trained for it, their motives don't align with the victim (in fact run counter), they don't have the legal authority and they have the ability to block due process. Terrible.

And taking it to the police doesn't make it public any more than someone taking it to the athletic department. It only becomes public if A) something is done about it, which could be either, or B) someone leaks something. Either way it could go public, in the same way, and in fact a police department will be LESS likely to have controls for that sort of leak than some athletic department.

The school and AD's office are two different things. You would hope their interests aren't aligned so much, and they aren't at a lot of schools, including sports schools. Yes, there is obviously a potential for conflict in either case, but the school should still have concerns of a rapist in the student body, just like they're concerned about underage drinking or theft or whatever else happens on campus that the AD's office is less likely to care about.

And who cares about due process? The punishment and investigation would be based on violation of school conduct, something schools do all the time and train for all the time.

The police are going to make it public by virtue of their investigation. Just like the AD or school. They have to call and talk to witnesses to verify the allegations. I'm saying they should be getting the victim's permission first, before doing so, unless some kind of punishment/charge can be brought without their participation (confession, other witnesses, video tape, etc.) I think it's incredibly s***ty for a victim to not only go through the act, but then be forced to have other people find out about it, even strangers, without her permission. Obviously if the victim wants to go forward, there should be no issues with the school blocking those allegations, trying to dissuade the victim from making a complaint, refusing to look into the matter further, etc.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
The school and AD's office are two different things. You would hope their interests aren't aligned so much, and they aren't at a lot of schools, including sports schools. Yes, there is obviously a potential for conflict in either case, but the school should still have concerns of a rapist in the student body, just like they're concerned about underage drinking or theft or whatever else happens on campus that the AD's office is less likely to care about.

And who cares about due process? The punishment and investigation would be based on violation of school conduct, something schools do all the time and train for all the time.

The police are going to make it public by virtue of their investigation. Just like the AD or school. They have to call and talk to witnesses to verify the allegations. I'm saying they should be getting the victim's permission first, before doing so, unless some kind of punishment/charge can be brought without their participation (confession, other witnesses, video tape, etc.) I think it's incredibly s***ty for a victim to not only go through the act, but then be forced to have other people find out about it, even strangers, without her permission. Obviously if the victim wants to go forward, there should be no issues with the school blocking those allegations, trying to dissuade the victim from making a complaint, refusing to look into the matter further, etc.

I stand by what I said. The chances of information going public are identical, probably even riskier at the school. And if the school (or AD at the school) does any real investigation, they'd also be putting the victim to task because you'd have to. So the risks are the same. Which means it comes down to, who should be investigating a crime? School or police? No contest in my eyes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
Do we have any idea of the level of cooperation from the victims here? Were they telling their stories? Had they gone to the police?

Was this something reported to the school by a victim or police dept? Was it just a rumor?

They talked about it on a retreat. People on that retreat than passed it on.

The cooperation from the victim seems to be about 0.