That's a White Sox winner!!!

Steve9347

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
I watch a lot of MLB Network. I haven't seen much buzz. Granted, I wasn't watching last night when he hit two more.

But let's face it, if Abreu was on the Yankees, he'd already be getting daily coverage. Typical stuff, but I'll take it as long as Abreu is putting up league leading numbers. Ignore him.

He's not even very big news in Chicago yet. Not that he doesn't deserve the buzz, I'm sure there are more than a few teams that are kicking themselves right now not making him better offers.

If he keeps it up, he will get more attention than he ever imagined.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
If the Sox can escape April with a .500 record or better, I think they can make a serious run at a playoff spot. Need to bullpen to be air tight and Johnson and Paulino to be better, but the talent is there.

I don't think they can without Garcia.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
10 games in, look at all of the Sox players on the offensive categories.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/...g-leaders.shtml

By the way, when does the national media start giving Abreu the Puig Treatment? Ever? Or do you have be on a coast or the Cubs?

From the sounds of it, Abreu will never be that guy. He is too quiet and humble. Heck this is a guy who got his number from his madre.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)

Garcia's injury was a tough break, but let's face it, until his 2 homer 4-5 performance the day before his injury and his 2 walk performance the day of his injury, he was pretty horrific this season.

Maybe he was just coming out of it, and ready to take off. We will never know. But to think he alone makes a difference between winning and losing several games a month IMO is exhaggerating.

Hawk was saying last night that he and the new hitting coach really had developed a nice bond. Perhaps that will help him realize his full potential in the future. He's a talented guy, but even with his minor league success, he needed to change some things around to become a truly productive major league hitter. He looked it for a game and a half. Maybe it was the beginning of a streak that was going to change things around for him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
If they could compete with him, they can certainly compete without him.

I expected them to be under .500 with him. I think the only chance of the Sox having playoff chances involved him being a monster this year though. Without that as an option, I don't see anyway this team competes for a playoff spot. That's not necessarily bad though. It's fine.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
Garcia's injury was a tough break, but let's face it, until his 2 homer 4-5 performance the day before his injury and his 2 walk performance the day of his injury, he was pretty horrific this season.

Maybe he was just coming out of it, and ready to take off. We will never know. But to think he alone makes a difference between winning and losing several games a month IMO is exhaggerating.

Hawk was saying last night that he and the new hitting coach really had developed a nice bond. Perhaps that will help him realize his full potential in the future. He's a talented guy, but even with his minor league success, he needed to change some things around to become a truly productive major league hitter. He looked it for a game and a half. Maybe it was the beginning of a streak that was going to change things around for him.

So you're saying he had bad games before he had good games. That never happens in baseball....in April....

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
I expected them to be under .500 with him. I think the only chance of the Sox having playoff chances involved him being a monster this year though. Without that as an option, I don't see anyway this team competes for a playoff spot. That's not necessarily bad though. It's fine.

Your scope is entirely too narrow. Frankly, I think Viciedo has always been more likely to put up a big year, but that was never going to be likely to begin with. I think they can compete just fine without that big year though too. It's all about pitching. Unfortunately, that has not been where it should be thus far.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
So you're saying he had bad games before he had good games. That never happens in baseball....in April....

What I am saying is just because he had a good game and a half, and one of those games, just about everyone on the team had a great game, doesn't mean he was destined for greatness. If you look at his season so far, defensively, he was about as bad as anyone in baseball, and offensively he had 8 really nice plate appearances.

Maybe it was the beginning of his coming out party. Maybe not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
What I am saying is just because he had a good game and a half, and one of those games, just about everyone on the team had a great game, doesn't mean he was destined for greatness. If you look at his season so far, defensively, he was about as bad as anyone in baseball, and offensively he had 8 really nice plate appearances.

Viciedo had a really, really good 10-14 game stretch last season after coming off the DL, and he went back to his free swinging self pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)

I disagree. Six games into the season, a lot of people were ready to give up on Garcia. Bad defense, bad hitting, can't take a walk...

But, he had a great game before getting hurt, and now the Sox are doomed? De Aza and Viciedo will be okay, and if Danks gets some decent playing time, the defense in the OF gets much better.

However, I'm not sure the Sox would have contended with Garcia. Without him, it may make things slightly more difficult offensively. But as we've seen, that's not where the Sox's problems are. Pitching (bullpen) and defense have hurt them more so far.

I think Garcia's injury is much worse for Garcia than the team. The kid's just 22, and he's missing out on 500 at-bats that are crucial to his development. Hopefully he comes back fully healed next year...he'll still be quite young.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)

Yep. As Jake and you have alluded to, perhaps the worst aspect of this injury is not learning about what we have or don't have with Avi. It will remain an unknown until we see more.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 05:58 AM)
I watch a lot of MLB Network. I haven't seen much buzz. Granted, I wasn't watching last night when he hit two more.

But let's face it, if Abreu was on the Yankees, he'd already be getting daily coverage. Typical stuff, but I'll take it as long as Abreu is putting up league leading numbers. Ignore him.

You're right . It hasn't been on MLB Network. After the Sox won 15-3 with Abreu's 1st 2 HR's the lead-in to that game was how good Tulo is , which, to say the least ,was disappointing. It'll never get as big as Puig even if he's close to 50 HR's by year end simply because he's not in a big media center, his arm or feet or glove wont win many games, he isn't an ultra young phenom like Trout or Puig making peanuts and it's not very likely that his bat will propel us to the playoffs.

The tragedy of Garcia is it sets the sox back a full year in identifying whether he is going to be a future starter or not. Garcia loses a year of development and working out the kinks.

Per Puig, I mean, I'm pretty sure if sox went on a 40-2 run or whatever the dodgers did to start the year Abreu would be getting some attention as well.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
Everytime Nick Swisher comes to bat I want him to be plunked. Sorry I just had to get that off my chest.

you are not the only one. :cheers

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
The tragedy of Garcia is it sets the sox back a full year in identifying whether he is going to be a future starter or not. Garcia loses a year of development and working out the kinks.

Absolutely. On the other hand we now have a full make or break year for Dayan.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
btw, Abreu has become appointment watching for me. I put off going over to my dads house last night so i could watch his first two ABs

This is very true. You stop what you're doing when he's coming up to bat.

This is a nice 10 game start (and also featured a "slump" according to some game posters)

G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO

SEASON 10 40 7 12 29 3 1 4 14 3 2 5 0 0 .300 .383 .725 1.108 1.40

MLB Totals 10 40 7 12 29 3 1 4 14 3 2 5 0 0 .300 .383 .725 1.108 1.40

Edited by bmags