Roster dead weight

Buehrle>Wood

Paulino. It's time to take him out of the roation. No idea what YOU PEOPLE saw in him. Wasn't particularly good before, injured, and certainly not good now.

Nieto is why you can have A level players on the roster.

Scott Downs is 39. He's done, apparently.

There's more but let's start with these three, particularly Paulino. It's Rienzo time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
There's more but let's start with these three, particularly Paulino. It's Rienzo time.

I'm in agreement with this. Thought he earned a rotation spot given his performance at the end of last year. I've seen enough of Paulino...and Downs...and pretty much Veal.

I am going to continue to say Nieto is fine as the back up catcher. He will learn as the season goes on and get better..

Downs defiantly needs to go. There is no point of him being in the bullpen if he can't get out lefties.. We need to see more of Webb and Cleto.

Paulino is horrible. 6 runs should be enough to win and he let up 6 himself. I believe Rienzo is a better pitcher and he will give you more innings and a better chance to win then Paulino.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
I really don't think we are a s***ty team.. I think we have a s***ty arm in the rotation and 2 or 3 s***ty arms in the bullpen. If we got those fixed we would be pretty good

I agree. If this team was scoring 1-2-3 runs a game, it would be over already. But the new offensive pieces give this team some hope.

Plus it's no fun just giving up on a season until you have to. After last year, you might as well have some hope.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
It's April 12th and this is a s***ty team. Who cares?

disagree. If this team keeps producing runs like this...hard to call them s***ty. The bullpen...well...can't argue with s***ty on that one.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 09:38 PM)
L. Garcia just isn't MLB caliber. Not only can he not hit, but his fielding has been significant worse than advertised.

I tend to agree with this. I was never much of a L Garcia fan but I thought he could make it as a sub. But, if we need any help it's in the bullpen and maybe a starter to replace Paulino. It might be early but his three starts have not been impressive at all and he hasn't made it past the 5th inning

Nope, team is definitely crap.

You guys are buying into small sample size. This is a team with huge holes in the rotation, the lineup, the defense and the bullpen

They are coming along nicely but don't be fooled by this offensive hot streak.

Team is bad.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)

You guys are buying into small sample size. This is a team with huge holes in the rotation, the lineup, the defense and the bullpen

Team is bad.

This

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)

Team is bad.

Nobody is predicting a world series here... For me .500 is the end goal.

You are right about the small sample size though. But that door swings both ways. The offense will let up, but the pitching should improve some.

If Paulino continues playing like this, who do we go with? Rienzo, Surkamp, Axelrod (not on the 40 but I believe there's an open spot), or even Leesman? I'd go with Rienzo.

I'm fine with Nieto as the back up catcher. I want no part of Gimenez, and Phegley needs a lot of work on his defense.

Downs has shown nothing so far. Boggs isn't an option either. Purcey, Guerra, Leesman could be options, I guess? Our bullpen is so weak.

Leury Garcia is just a placeholder until Beckham/Keppinger return.

This is a serious question:

Has Downs had a clean inning all year -- spring training included?

If he has, it's one at the most.

Lots of signs that he doesn't have it any more.

Jones coming back should help. Hopefully Bellasario gets better.

Leury Garcia has been a disappointment, especially with the glove.

Have to figure Nieto will struggle quite a long time. Can't remember many guys who have jumped from A ball to the bigs, especially a catcher.

Have to think he'd be better served by playing every day in the minors, but Hahn must have gotten firm word from the Nationals that they were going to buy him back for $25,000 or ask for something outrageous in a trade.

Nieto won't kill us as the backup catcher and we get a decent prospect after the year from it.

Garcia's fine as a bench player I guess but I'm disappointed that was the only return from Rios, as was said above his defence has to be better than it is given his hit tool.

Downs looks done.

Paulino is incredibly frustrating to watch but will, and probably correctly, be given time to harness his command, having thrown less than 40 innings at all levels since his surgery. I'm not holding my breath though, he looks awful.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
Paulino. It's time to take him out of the roation. No idea what YOU PEOPLE saw in him. Wasn't particularly good before, injured, and certainly not good now.

Nieto is why you can have A level players on the roster.

Scott Downs is 39. He's done, apparently.

Had to be a bootleg statistic offered up by Fangraphs. Paulino is and was a waste of time.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
Had to be a bootleg statistic offered up by Fangraphs. Paulino is and was a waste of time.

No, it was pure hope from raw tools and upside. The scoutiest, non-Fangraphs thing there is. I'm glad you could feel good about s***ting all over it anyway.

Here's a question: what are you going to post if things ever start going well?