AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
I would just like to add that if you take out Semien's first two games of the season this is his line .293/.383/.488 with a .384 BABIP 13% BB% 28% K% I think as he continues to progress at the major league level the K% will come down and the BB% will come up a bit. But I'm very encouraged by his ABs and am looking forward to our future of Eaton and Semien at the top of the order. If Micah Johnson develops into a Kenny Lofton type of hitter at the keystone and Marcus and be average to slightly below at SS watch out. 1-4 of Eaton, Semien, Johnson, Abreu really excites me.

Johnson has to be a 1/2 or 8/9 guy unless he continues to hit in the 950ish OPS range.

That will come down eventually, of course.

The question is whether Semien can play SS and Johnson 2B at close to or slightly below league average...especially Johnson.

Johnson has a lot less value to the White Sox in LF/DH, but he could still have a role potentially. The problem is that would put a lot of pressure on Garcia/Viciedo to provide the homers, with Eaton and Johnson being 8-12 homer guys probably.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alexei's 9th inning bomb had to be a ball breaker for the Tribe. I loved it. Actually, the Tribe could have wrapped it up in top of 9th. After they tied it, they should have gone for a big inning. That sacrifice actually helped Sox, since they had two on and no outs. Don't know what Axford was thinking with that fast ball right down the middle.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
You guys need to focus on the fact this team isnt contending, we arent going to "fix" an issue this early in season when we need development.

I know people are enchanted by the start we have had, but the front office isn't looking at it that way. This is a process, not a finished product.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
You guys need to focus on the fact this team isnt contending, we arent going to "fix" an issue this early in season when we need development.

Yes, the Sox shouldn't go out and try to fix something right now. Like trading Beck or Jaye for a bullpen arm, or something like that. That would be dumb.

But this is baseball, and the offense is producing and the rotation has 3 good pitchers, including a true ace. There's nothing wrong with tinkering with the pen and trying to fix some problems internally.

As far as "this team isn't contending", again, what fun is that for a fan? Hell, they could have had the same attitude in 1990 with a young team. What did they do? Had a really fun team that over achieved and won 94 games. Now, will this team win 94? No. But in the era of the second wild card, 88 wins isn't out of the question...especially in mid-April.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
Yes, the Sox shouldn't go out and try to fix something right now. Like trading Beck or Jaye for a bullpen arm, or something like that. That would be dumb.

But this is baseball, and the offense is producing and the rotation has 3 good pitchers, including a true ace. There's nothing wrong with tinkering with the pen and trying to fix some problems internally.

As far as "this team isn't contending", again, what fun is that for a fan? Hell, they could have had the same attitude in 1990 with a young team. What did they do? Had a really fun team that over achieved and won 94 games. Now, will this team win 94? No. But in the era of the second wild card, 88 wins isn't out of the question...especially in mid-April.

They arent going to replace Paulino or Johnson was my point. We still dont know what we have there.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)

Rebuilding isn't "fun". It is painful. It means suffering through bad performances in the name of building for the future. By bringing in a guy like Downs, it means they felt the people they had on board now weren't ready, and it might hurt them to be pushed into the majors already, or they have already given up on them. That didn't change in 13 games. This team isn't going to eat $4 million after 13 games, especially when there is a pretty good chance Downs turns it around and at least becomes a trade piece for nothing else other than salary relief. It would be stupid to release a guy based on 5 appearances and 1.2 IP when they aren't going anywhere, anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Rebuilding isn't "fun". It is painful. It means suffering through bad performances in the name of building for the future. By bringing in a guy like Downs, it means they felt the people they had on board now weren't ready, and it might hurt them to be pushed into the majors already, or they have already given up on them. That didn't change in 13 games. This team isn't going to eat $4 million after 13 games, especially when there is a pretty good chance Downs turns it around and at least becomes a trade piece for nothing else other than salary relief. It would be stupid to release a guy based on 5 appearances and 1.2 IP when they aren't going anywhere, anyway.

I agree they shouldn't release Downs, but based on his performance in spring and so far this season, a two week phantom injury wouldn't hurt anyone.

My main point is, yes, have realistic expectations about this team. But in the process, maybe not say how bad this team is at every turn. Because they are not a bad team. And baseball is a weird game. You never know what might happen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
I agree they shouldn't release Downs, but based on his performance in spring and so far this season, a two week phantom injury wouldn't hurt anyone.

My main point is, yes, have realistic expectations about this team. But in the process, maybe not say how bad this team is at every turn. Because they are not a bad team. And baseball is a weird game. You never know what might happen.

Any vets that dont have a slot on this team in 2-3 years are simply trade fodder at this point, so hope for a rebound.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
They arent going to replace Paulino or Johnson was my point. We still dont know what we have there.

Anybody that argues they need to replace Johnson after 2 starts is incredibly out of touch with this franchise.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
Anybody that argues they need to replace Johnson after 2 starts is incredibly out of touch with this franchise.

And just for the record, I'm not in that camp. Johnson should get 30+ starts this season unless there's an attitude problem or his ERA is 6+ in mid-June.

Paulino may have a shorter leash, but the Sox would need somebody in AAA they feel can be better.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)

Who are you calling up? Mitchell Boggs? Dylan Axelrod? Duente Heath? I'm not seeing improvement, and sure not seeing a higher ceiling.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)

Seriously.

We are rebuilding. They aren't going to start dumping players after 13 games, especially guys that they feel factor into this team's future. Unless Johnson completely craters, he isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Who are you calling up? Mitchell Boggs? Dylan Axelrod? Duente Heath? I'm not seeing improvement, and sure not seeing a higher ceiling.

Guerra and Putnam are realistic options. Maybe Purcey.

Hey, I'll admit it, I was thinking Nate Jones was getting sent down last year in May, and he turned it around. Downs may too. But with the lack of a long reliever in the pen, the Sox need to do something there.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
Guerra and Putnam are realistic options. Maybe Purcey.

Hey, I'll admit it, I was thinking Nate Jones was getting sent down last year in May, and he turned it around. Downs may too. But with the lack of a long reliever in the pen, the Sox need to do something there.

Maybe in a couple of months. Today? Nope.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Any vets that dont have a slot on this team in 2-3 years are simply trade fodder at this point, so hope for a rebound.

This is absolutely true. Scott Downs was signed for the sole purpose of trading him in July.

There is no room for Konerko or Garcia on the roster but it is what it is. Semian is probably going to get screwed over and get sent down despite holding his own pretty damn well. They should just tell Kong he's now a coach and have him officially retire, pay him the same amount or anything but it's obvious he's not in the plans and it was a big courtesy by JR to bring him back.